Is Jamie Benn underrated?

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
I don't personally think this guy gets enough credit for what he does.. I could be wrong, but I don't hear this guys name in terms of super star status much. I was watching a Toronto game and his name came up and the communtators thought he was a bit under looked in this league. Former Art Ross winner

What do you guys think? Is he perfectly rated? Overrated? What?

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
He's a decent LW, how is he underrated?

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
he's having a tough year, people pretty much think he is a super star. Dude brings it all. That goal vs Montreal when he blew up Petry and then hit the post and Seguin scores is so much Benn. Big strong man with great hands and a great shot. I don't think he's underrated. People know he's a monster. I'd say him Crosby and Malkin are the most dominant players when they're on their game using their entire skillset.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I don't think he personally gets enough credit for a number of reasons but it definitely has something to do with location.

I really like his style of power forward game though; it's a dying breed.

EhlersPLDConnor

Mar 25, 2012
Winnipeg
Central has alot of great wingers. Benn is in my top 2. Here's how I would rank them at the moment

1) Kane
2) Benn
3) Tarasenko
4) Wheeler
5) Laine
6) Forsberg
7) Hossa
8) Landeskog

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
underrated considering he's the best winger in the game that can play center if needed

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I don't personally think this guy gets enough credit for what he does.. I could be wrong, but I don't hear this guys name in terms of super star status much. I was watching a Toronto game and his name came up and the communtators thought he was a bit under looked in this league. Former Art Ross winner

... . What

Maybe over in Toronto he is underrated but he has been a top 5 player the last couple years. He's having a bad year but out west he gets his praise.

He's no Mathews tho

But if you do fantasy hockey chances are he was picked first round

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Matthews biggest compliment is he looks like Jamie Benn stylistically

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Matthews biggest compliment is he looks like Jamie Benn stylistically

A little maybe. Benn has more of a power game though. His temper can get to him to which makes him play on the edge a bit. Haven't seen that style of game from Matthews yet. Has Matthews even fought anyone before? That edginess and strength are part of Benn's game and what makes him so effective. Yeah they are both great skaters and have good vision and shots but outside of that, which numerous other players also possess, they really don't share much in common.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I think there's a difference between how much a player is talked about and whether or not they're underrated but maybe people disagree with that.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I don't think so. He's almost always listed as one of the top 5 wingers in the game. Maybe top 10 at worst if someone wants to be nitpicky. The only wingers that are unquestionably better in my opinion are Kane and Ovi. Other than that I think he's right there. He doesn't play in a "sexy" market I guess, and his team isn't playing very well this year, but I think most hockey fans recognize that he's an elite player.

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
1. Jamie Benn – 94 overall

image_8.img.jpg

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I don't think so. He's almost always listed as one of the top 5 wingers in the game. Maybe top 10 at worst if someone wants to be nitpicky. The only wingers that are unquestionably better in my opinion are Kane and Ovi. Other than that I think he's right there. He doesn't play in a "sexy" market I guess, and his team isn't playing very well this year, but I think most hockey fans recognize that he's an elite player.

Benn has been a better player than Ovechkin for 3-4 years, the only thing Ovi has on the top wingers is his goal scoring but Benn's total physical dominance, his passing skills, and his own great goal scoring at least put them on par if you can't agree with better.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
I think there's a difference between how much a player is talked about and whether or not they're underrated but maybe people disagree with that.

Kind of but they are related. People don't talk about him enough when mentioning top players...he just an after thought to most people. It's the same with Backstrom.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
he's having a tough year, people pretty much think he is a super star. Dude brings it all. That goal vs Montreal when he blew up Petry and then hit the post and Seguin scores is so much Benn. Big strong man with great hands and a great shot. I don't think he's underrated. People know he's a monster. I'd say him Crosby and Malkin are the most dominant players when they're on their game using their entire skillset.

Aside from Crosby and perhaps McDavid, when he has the room to fly, there isn't a single player in the NHL who's more dominant when they are "on", than Karlsson.

Last edited:

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
A little maybe. Benn has more of a power game though. His temper can get to him to which makes him play on the edge a bit. Haven't seen that style of game from Matthews yet. Has Matthews even fought anyone before? That edginess and strength are part of Benn's game and what makes him so effective. Yeah they are both great skaters and have good vision and shots but outside of that, which numerous other players also possess, they really don't share much in common.

Rookie Matthews reminds me of rookie Benn. Big guys with slick hands and vision.

I think vision is the biggest thing. Benn stood out bigtime as a rookie compared to James Neal who was very good too

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
What is underrated however, is his stupidity of not wearing a visor........ :shakehead

Last edited:

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

As a stars fan I would day no. Pretty well everyone would put him and Ovi as the top 2 LWers in the game and some prefer his rounded game to Ovi's shot. I think as soon as you are mentioned in conversation along side Ovechkin it's hard to call you underated

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I didn't think he was having that great of a year. Could be wrong though. I'd need some Stars' fans to let us know what's up.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I didn't think he was having that great of a year. Could be wrong though. I'd need some Stars' fans to let us know what's up.

He has looked off this year and everyone is thinking it's an injury. If I recall for the first month or so he didn't practice because something was limiting him to either practice or games, both was too much. With all our injuries we chose to keep playing him.

The team as a whole has started to look better and so has Benn over the last week or so. I hope he isn't hurt because he is notorious for playing it off like nothing then BAM surgery. As he did with his hip 2 years back and his abdomen this past summer

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00