Is Jack Johnson the next Bobby Orr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verbal Kint*

DKH said:
better yet who is George Washington :biglaugh: ....my kids still believe in Santa Claus (atleast one I think does or she's playing me :eek: ) and she knows who the greatest of all time is- and I'm not talking Gretzky.
I love gullible people.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think we'll be hard-pressed to ever see another Bobby Orr. IMO, the most dominate player of all-time. That being said, I can't help but get excited about Jack Johnson. He's probably the best American defenseman prospect since Leetch was drafted in what-1986? Think an amped up version of Chris Chelios.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The only way Jack Johnson is the next Bobby Orr is if I legally change my last name to Johnson, and I name my first born son Jack.

Magnus Fulgur

Nov 27, 2002
From what limited stuff I've seen of Jack, he's the type of drip that will refer to himself in the third person once he's in his late twenties. Bobby Orr was not only physically by mentally superb. Jack's just a jack...I sniff a bust once he has to make decisions at the highest level of speed (NHL).

Pappy

Dec 14, 2004
I used the comparrison of Dion Phaneuf with more offensive upside as more realistic, of course no one is Bobby Orr I watched him play at old MLG many times as a Leaf fan it was a most unpleaseant experience, I watched him killing penalties he would rag the puck up and down the ice behind both goals and finish it off with a scoring chance without any member of the Leafs even though they had a 5 on 4 advatage ever Touch the Puck, after a minute and a half he would ice the puck into the Leaf end and go off for a 20 second break, and then return to dominate the game once more. It was exactly like going to a game of 12 year olds with one player being so dominant the other kids never touch the puck it that one sided.

Getting back to young Johnson putting up the numbers he is on the Wolverine's is mind boggling, there isn't a junior team in Canada that could beat them, Michigan would defeat any Junior team hands down, if Johnson was playing in the OHL his numbers would be even more impressive.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't know who this Robert Orr is, but I'll have to say that Brian Lee definitely looks like him.

BRIAN LEE! BRIAN LEE!

Anyone notice that he'll probably come into the league around the same time Brian LeeTCH retires?

He'll be like the new Brian Leetch, only without the excess consonants.

A Good Flying Bird*

Rabid Ranger said:
I think we'll be hard-pressed to ever see another Bobby Orr. IMO, the most dominate player of all-time. That being said, I can't help but get excited about Jack Johnson. He's probably the best American defenseman prospect since Leetch was drafted in what-1986? Think an amped up version of Chris Chelios.

The Chelios=Johnson thing is getting overplayed on these boards.

Their styles are very different. Chelios was never a world class skater.
Johnson already is.
Chelios was never a big, open ice hitter. Johnson already is.

Does Johnson have Chelios head for the game? His competitive fire?
Few ever have.

Not saying Johnson will have a better career than Chelios, but in terms of pure hockey skills, Johnson is more like Orr than he is Chelios

A Good Flying Bird*

Toxostoma Rufum said:
From what limited stuff I've seen of Jack, he's the type of drip that will refer to himself in the third person once he's in his late twenties. Bobby Orr was not only physically by mentally superb. Jack's just a jack...I sniff a bust once he has to make decisions at the highest level of speed (NHL).

Get yourself a new nose.

Few NHL defenseman are physically superb to Johnson.
Mentally, Johnson has a long way to go.
Even Bobby Orr wasn't Bobby Orr when he was 18.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
TinCanCommunications said:
Get yourself a new nose.

Few NHL defenseman are physically superb to Johnson.
Mentally, Johnson has a long way to go.
Even Bobby Orr wasn't Bobby Orr when he was 18.

Actually, Bobby Orr was very close to being Bobby Orr by the time he was 18.

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
Pappy said:
I watched him play at old MLG many times as a Leaf fan it was a most unpleaseant experience, I watched him killing penalties he would rag the puck up and down the ice behind both goals and finish it off with a scoring chance without any member of the Leafs even though they had a 5 on 4 advatage ever Touch the Puck, after a minute and a half he would ice the puck into the Leaf end and go off for a 20 second break, and then return to dominate the game once more. It was exactly like going to a game of 12 year olds with one player being so dominant the other kids never touch the puck it that one sided.
I saw a clip of this on an ESPN special on Orr and it was exactly as you describe. I've never seen anyone skate like that with the puck, before or since.

PMP5030

Apr 25, 2004
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
TinCanCommunications said:
The Chelios=Johnson thing is getting overplayed on these boards.

Their styles are very different. Chelios was never a world class skater.
Johnson already is.
Chelios was never a big, open ice hitter. Johnson already is.

Does Johnson have Chelios head for the game? His competitive fire?
Few ever have.

Not saying Johnson will have a better career than Chelios, but in terms of pure hockey skills, Johnson is more like Orr than he is Chelios

Having seen Johnson play for Michigan in several games now, I think he compares the most to Rob Blake. Johnson's not as big (heh), but his playing style is very similar.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Trottier said:
No offense, but did you ever watch Bobby Orr play?

This is not some old "the players of yesteryear were better!" post. ;) I'm as excited about S. Crosby as anyone, for having seen him several games now, he is the most talented young player I've seen since Peter Forsberg burst on the scene in the 90s. That said, it's ridiculous to call someone the next Mario, Gretzky or, especially, Bobby Orr.

You earn the mere right to a comparsion if/when you put up many years of ridiculous individual/team accomplishments on the NHL level. Putting up nice numbers at the collegiate level doesn't earn one the right to have his name mentioned in the same sentence as an immortal.

Just my opinio

Quite possibly (easily) the greatest player to ever lace up a pair of skates.

As a long time Rangers fan I have to admit that I loved watching Orr play the game.
I absolutely hated his team but there was nobody in his time remotely close to his skill level. Without a doubt the best d'man that I've seen in the NHL period. And anyone that wants any proofs should check out his stats. His numbers for a D are staggering. I know he led the league in scoring at least once.

Zorin

Sep 2, 2002
Germany
www.krefeld-penguins.de
eco's bones said:
As a long time Rangers fan I have to admit that I loved watching Orr play the game.
I absolutely hated his team but there was nobody in his time remotely close to his skill level. Without a doubt the best d'man that I've seen in the NHL period. And anyone that wants any proofs should check out his stats. His numbers for a D are staggering. I know he led the league in scoring at least once.

He has 2 Art Ross (69/70, 74/75)
8 consecutive Norris (67/68-74/5)
3 consecutive Heart (69/70-71/72)
2 Conn Smythe (69/70, 71/72)
a Lester B. (74/75) and, not to forget, the 66/67 Calder. Pretty impressive hardware for a guy who was injury plagued throughout his carreer and only played ONE 80-game campaign and just 9 more or less complete seasons due to injury! Keep in mind, there was just ONE year of more or less full action, in which he did not win Norris and that was his rookie season! What more can you say?!

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Pappy said:
Getting back to young Johnson putting up the numbers he is on the Wolverine's is mind boggling, there isn't a junior team in Canada that could beat them, Michigan would defeat any Junior team hands down, if Johnson was playing in the OHL his numbers would be even more impressive.

That is FUNNY, it is my opinion and not trying to start a debate here that the CHL is clearly a better league then the college route. The top end talent is in the CHL for sure and has been for a long time. To think that Michigan would beat any CHL team is laughable. There are likley a dozen teams throughout the CHL that would beat Michigan, if not more.

Sammy*

phaneuf_fan_3 said:
That is FUNNY, it is my opinion and not trying to start a debate here that the CHL is clearly a better league then the college route. The top end talent is in the CHL for sure and has been for a long time. To think that Michigan would beat any CHL team is laughable. There are likley a dozen teams throughout the CHL that would beat Michigan, if not more.
Im a CHL fan & a CIS fan & imo a Good NCAA team like Michigan would smoke a good CHL team, ,if only because the NCAA team is waaaay older.
That been said, its very conceivable (& in fact likely) Johnsons numbers would be waaaay worse in the CHL. Its more of a grind & ther are not the number of lapdogs you find in the NCAA.
In terms of the initial question, its a bad joke.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
phaneuf_fan_3 said:

It's pretty clear you have no idea what you're talking about.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Master of Puppets said:
Seriously, could someone fill me in on who Bobby Orr is. I'm kind of being left out to dry here.

Not sure if it's any help but they might be thinking of Bob Eeyore, the grandson of a Winnie the Pooh character.

I don't know if he played hockey though.

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
phaneuf_fan_3 said:

Current top 3 prospects for the '06? Two in the NCAA, and one in the Czech Rep.

Most dominant player in the NHL this year? Went to Wisconsin.

In the '04 WJC's? An American team with 18 of 22 players coming from the NCAA beat a Canadian team built solely out of CHL players save Jeff Tambellini.

Right now I'd take three teams out of the WCHA over most teams in the CHL easy, let alone out of the entire NCAA.

eaton28

Feb 5, 2005
Pete Rock said:
Current top 3 prospects for the '06? Two in the NCAA, and one in the Czech Rep.

Most dominant player in the NHL this year? Went to Wisconsin.

In the '04 WJC's? An American team with 18 of 22 players coming from the NCAA beat a Canadian team built solely out of CHL players save Jeff Tambellini.

Right now I'd take three teams out of the WCHA over most teams in the CHL easy, let alone out of the entire NCAA.
CHL kids are 16-20... NCAA are like 17-24... and CHL is better considering that. NCAA is good, basically the same as the CHL, but the players are older and more mature. And the CHL is rougher and tougher hands down.
Top 06 prospects...:confused: where is bryan little on your list oh greatful one? and maybe 30 NCAA players will get drafted and 15 in the first 2 rounds, MAYBE more then the CHL, but more kids from the CHL will get drafted...

as for jack johnson tearing up NCAA, put him in the CHL and he will get some sence knocked into him... he is good, yes, but not as great as everyones is rating him.

chum

Feb 27, 2002
no, what makes the orignal poster think there is some sort of similiarity between them?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
eaton28 said:
CHL kids are 16-20... NCAA are like 17-24... and CHL is better considering that. NCAA is good, basically the same as the CHL, but the players are older and more mature. And the CHL is rougher and tougher hands down.
Top 06 prospects...:confused: where is bryan little on your list oh greatful one? and maybe 30 NCAA players will get drafted and 15 in the first 2 rounds, MAYBE more then the CHL, but more kids from the CHL will get drafted...

as for jack johnson tearing up NCAA, put him in the CHL and he will get some sence knocked into him... he is good, yes, but not as great as everyones is rating him.

1) A comparision was being made between CHL and NCAA kids of roughly the same age, which is why Pete pointed to the U.S. win over Canada in the 2003/04 WJC as testamony that a largely NCAA roster can hang with and beat a largely CHL roster.

2) Many of the top prospects for the 2006 draft are in the NCAA or are bound for there next year. What does Brian Little have to do with that?

3) Of course more CHL (read: Canadian) kids will be drafted than NCAA (read: American) kids! There's a much larger pool to draw from, and yes, the CHL as a whole is deeper than the NCAA. That doesn't mean that a top NCAA program like Michigan couldn't beat a top CHL program, because they could.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad