Is Jack Johnson the next Bobby Orr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pappy

Dec 14, 2004
Will at least Dion Phaneuf with more offensive Upside, can't help but being impressed with the numbers he's putting up at Michigan as a Freshmen, looks like the Hurricanes have themselves a real Stud in this kid. To put up these stats at his age in Division One Hockey as a defenceman is a phenomenal aceivement and Wolverine fans should enjoy can't see anyway this kid won't be in the show next year, looks like he should be there now.

Verbal Kint*

neelynugs said:
the next orr? not a chance.
Yeah, I mean, he has a nice right hook but Colton could lay down the law any day of the week!

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Nope, but there's a pretty good chance he could be the next Jack Johnson. Provided the hockey career doesn't work out and he takes a liking to folk music.

Verbal Kint*

Seriously, could someone fill me in on who Bobby Orr is. I'm kind of being left out to dry here.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Master of Puppets said:
Seriously, could someone fill me in on who Bobby Orr is. I'm kind of being left out to dry here.

Bass player for Vanilla Ice.

mooseOAK*

Master of Puppets said:
He's the previous Jack Johnson.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Pappy said:
Will at least Dion Phaneuf with more offensive Upside, can't help but being impressed with the numbers he's putting up at Michigan as a Freshmen, looks like the Hurricanes have themselves a real Stud in this kid. To put up these stats at his age in Division One Hockey as a defenceman is a phenomenal aceivement and Wolverine fans should enjoy can't see anyway this kid won't be in the show next year, looks like he should be there now.

No offense, but did you ever watch Bobby Orr play?

This is not some old "the players of yesteryear were better!" post. ;) I'm as excited about S. Crosby as anyone, for having seen him several games now, he is the most talented young player I've seen since Peter Forsberg burst on the scene in the 90s. That said, it's ridiculous to call someone the next Mario, Gretzky or, especially, Bobby Orr.

You earn the mere right to a comparsion if/when you put up many years of ridiculous individual/team accomplishments on the NHL level. Putting up nice numbers at the collegiate level doesn't earn one the right to have his name mentioned in the same sentence as an immortal.

Just my opinion.

Master of Puppets said:

Quite possibly (easily) the greatest player to ever lace up a pair of skates.

Oilers1*

Let's hope, for Carolina's sake, he's not the next Chris Pronger (ie: stud D-man the franchise trades away just before he blossoms).

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
He has a chance at being an excellent top pairing dman, but one of the greatest players ever? I highly doubt it.

He'll be great to watch once he makes it to Carolina. I was hoping we would make a trade to grab him at no.3 because he looks like he's going to be a very good player. Again though, no chance at being Bobby Orr.

Pappy

Dec 14, 2004
It's not easy being the Heavy Weight Champion of the World in the last Century then come back and be the Best Defenceman this Century.

Pappy

Dec 14, 2004
It's much harder to put up those stats at the College level than the CHL, wouldn't you agree that the NCAA is a better league than the CHL.

V-2 Schneider

Mar 8, 2004
Orr tore up junior so much, that Sam Pollock thought him an elite NHL caliber D man at the age of...15! Only Gretzky and Lemieux ever were so dominating at such a young age, and everyone knew they were seeing something special.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
Pappy said:
It's much harder to put up those stats at the College level than the CHL, wouldn't you agree that the NCAA is a better league than the CHL.

That's debatable. It's a different brand of hockey. There is no doubt the CHL produces a higher number of draftees/high end talent, but in terms of overall play, it most likely comes down to opinion.

Personally, I prefer the CHL brand of hockey. Each league has it's strengths and weaknesses but always offers a very high caliber of play. Especially when you consider CHL kids are 17-19 years old for the most part. Overall, I feel the CHL has more talented players and, the WHL especially, is closer to the pro game.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I love how immediately comparing Johnson to Orr he follows that up with "well, at least as good as Phaneuf", as if in the levels of elite defensemen there's Orr, followed by Phaneuf :biglaugh

I love these boards. Now, if Jack Johnson doesn't come into the league and win the Norris and Art Ross trophies (again and again), the OP is going to be very disappointed.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Master of Puppets said:
I think he played for Chicago...he might have been one of the Beatlicks, or Beatlets, or some band that played overrated crap from Scotland.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Master of Puppets said:
better yet who is George Washington :biglaugh: ....my kids still believe in Santa Claus (atleast one I think does or she's playing me :eek: ) and she knows who the greatest of all time is- and I'm not talking Gretzky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->