Is Jack Eichel the weakest of the four?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I'll start this by saying I'm aware Eichel is currently injured. I'll also say he had a great rookie season, and he'll be a great player for years to come.

But compared to Matthews, McDavid and Laine, is he a disappointment? Eichel was billed as a generational talent, but from what he's shown so far I'm not sure he's on that level.

Thoughts?

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
No, he is a beast. Expect him to challenge all of those guys except McDavid, whom he's not that far behind. This guy is a MAN.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Eichel is a one man show on an absolutely pathetic offensive team. Bylsma has the Sabres playing the worst offensive system in the league.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Also, to crystalize the gap between his usage and that of his peers, McDavid was allowed to cheat freely in the defensive zone - not hating, McDavid backing off defenders is actually a really valuable defensive action - while Sportsnet reported that Eichel led the league in zone exits.

As supremely talented rookie and downhill offensive player, he was being asked to be the fulcrum of his team's outlet, to vastly less talented forwards. I seriously can't ****ing even.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
He won't even be in the discussion in a few years.. There are many players that will be better than him.

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
Offensively, he's better than Laine and probably on the same level as Matthews.

I guess it's easy to forget how good he is because he had a bad World cup and missed the start of the season.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Generational talent?? No he wasnt. Nobody ever called him a generational talent. However i do believe hes overrated. I think Mackinnon who got much less hype will have a better career.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Not really fair when he's hurt. kid's a great talent. the ranking of the group of names under discussion will take care of itself naturally. Other than probably McDavid on top, I couldn't say for certain how they'll end up.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Offensively, he's better than Laine and probably on the same level as Matthews.

I guess it's easy to forget how good he is because he had a bad World cup and missed the start of the season.

He wasn't PPG in his rookie year, so far all the others are and have been.

I loved him when he was drafted, still do. But his production so far has been a little disappointing.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
His hockey iq is not on the same level with the other 3 and he doesn't have enough tools compared to other to overcome that.

I have never bought the hype with Eichel. Just makes too many bonehead plays.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'd put him 3rd behind McDavid and Matthews. McDavid is just absolutely dominant with his skating that he takes over games, while Matthews is a very high-iq player who is extremely polished. Eichel needs to round out his game, but has all the skill there to be a high-end offensive center. My biggest issue with him (which I thought was apparent at the WHC), is that he isn't very adaptable therefore it can take him awhile to find chemistry with his linemates.

Laine has an amazing goalscoring instincts, but I would like to see more production at 5v5 before I put him above Eichel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad