Is Jack Eichel a lazy superstar?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I thought he played with some urgency last night. He made a high level back pass on Kane's goal. The problem is the Sabres are not very good. They do not have an abundance of puck moving D men, and their scoring is reflecting in this. I did think they were the better team last night, and it looked like they tied the game late, but the cameras were inconclusive. This could be the year they would benefit in getting a high draft pick so they can draft one of Dahlin, Boqvist, or Hughes.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Aha I just found out Eichel is going to make 10 million next year.

Career high of 57 points and even now, his best start he's still only pace for 66 points. How on earth did he get that!? Based on what!

Wow. What a horrible overpayment. His agent deserves a medal, but his 1 million a year in commission will do too, I'm sure.

Last edited:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Member when people said he's better than matthews lmao
What's funny is the Leafs are tearing up the league, Matthews is cementing himself as one of the top players in the game, and you're still laughing uncontrollably over an argument internet strangers had last year. I mean damn- I'm a Sabres fan watching the Leafs build something special as my team free falls into abyss, and even I don't have as much bitterness in my heart as you. Focus on the good, my dude...those personal issues will fade.

As for Eichel, yea, he's lazy. That contract is looking scarier with every game that passes. There are multiple examples of him straight up giving up on plays. He coasts, he'll skate with his stick horizontal to his hips, he'll shy away from battles, etc...everything you'd hope your franchise center is willing to do to win he isn't doing. Hopefully he grows up because as of right now he just ain't getting it done.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Aha I just found out Eichel is going to make 10 million next year.

Career high of 57 points and even know, his best start he's still only pace for 66 points. How on earth did he get that!? Based on what!

Wow. What a horrible overpayment. His agent deserves a medal, but his 1 million a year in commission will do too, I'm sure.
Well on his way to going through his ELC without earning full bonuses in any of the years too...

Reactions: jasonleaffan

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Got drafted by Buffalo. That is his crime, and also his punishment.
I don't think anyone hates the Sabres. I've never heard a single person crap on them and they don't have a particularly obnoxious fanbase. I don't think that's it. Maaaybe it's the moustache, but Dec 1 that should take care of itself.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
He's been playing better of late and looks like he's trying harder so I wouldn't be surprised to see him right the ship soon.

It's not like his production has been terrible and his scoring has been largely at ES/SH - when his PP numbers go up his overall numbers will look much better.

His effort needs to be consistent if he wants to be a leader.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
Is he going to be named Buffalo Sabres captain this season? Or is Buffalo management going to wait until the offseason to make it official?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Oh my god...

No we didn't.
Yes. Many, many threads about the media overrating Matthews and if the cities they played in were switched, the Toronto media would be goinbg on and on about Eichel. Which makes me laugh because the most criticized NHL players are always in Toronto. Eichel would be getting 10 x the criticism right now on the Leafs. (And certainly here).

Reactions: Lilou

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
10m for Eichel could also be a steal if he plays to his potential. There’s gotta be more to the uninspiring play of the Sabres. Locker room problems maybe.

That team has too much talent to be that bad. I have thought the same about Winnipeg for 3 years but they are turning it around.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Yes. Many, many threads about the media overrating Matthews and if the cities they played in were switched, the Toronto media would be goinbg on and on about Eichel. Which makes me laugh because the most criticized NHL players are always in Toronto. Eichel would be getting 10 x the criticism right now on the Leafs. (And certainly here).

I don't recall any notable amount of Sabres fans claiming this.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
No need to bring Matthews into this. I think those old arguments have been pretty clearly settled. I hope Eichel gets going, though. So much potential.

seabass11

Dec 12, 2010
Remember the thread where people were suggesting Buffalo got lucky that they lost the McDavid lottery?
That was HF pure gold.

Reactions: Lilou

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Remember the thread where people were suggesting Buffalo got lucky that they lost the McDavid lottery?
That was HF pure gold.
I do. Great thread. People overreact so much to a small sample size.

Last edited:

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Asking the Sabres fans here: is Eichel a symptom of the problems you're having, or a cause? He's got too much talent to ignore the superstar label but from what I read he's a bit of a headcase. He's one of those players I can't figure out.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Asking the Sabres fans here: is Eichel a symptom of the problems you're having, or a cause? He's got too much talent to ignore the superstar label but from what I read he's a bit of a headcase. He's one of those players I can't figure out.
Watching every minute of almost every game this year he stands out regardless of the results. Evander Kane is a blessing and a curse. He’s scoring but he kills so many more possessions with wild shots instead of finding an open man. Eichel has 2-3 beautiful setups per game. He struggles sometimes with consistent effort on the back check, but that is an easy fix. The stuff you can’t teach is off the charts. He looked very dominant yesterday against EDM in both ends.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad