Is it time we start talking about Ryan Miller?

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Miller was always a good goalie. It's that 5 hole goal by Crosby that derailed his "one of the best in the game" status. It's been downhill ever since. Can he regain one of the best status? Yes, if he brings this Van team into the playoffs.

Please. Miller is one of the most accredited goalies in the game despite only having one elite season. Byron Defoe would be jealous.

Foltronic

Jan 21, 2015
What the heck is with the lame 'is it time we start talking 'bout' titles in here...

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Miller has always been overrated IMO.

Had that one amazing season in 09-10 and with the Olympics that same year, he's been mostly average throughout his career. Not bad, just not the elite talent that he's made out to be. Just average/above average.

Yeah, he's had a great start and I think he should have gotten the shutout for that first game, since the goal was not scored on him. I think that's BS that a goalie doesn't get a shutout for that. A goalie gets a shutout in a shootout loss (tie in years past) in which they didn't allow a goal in regulation or OT, but not in a game where an own goal is scored while he's off the ice on a delayed call? Dumb.

But Al Montoya also has a .955 save percentage for the season. Not saying Montoya should even be in the same category as Miller. One is a decent backup at best, the other is a decent starter. But just saying, small sample size.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
In order to not sound like a crybaby I decided to post this in a thread not about the Rangers.

Why does every positive thread about a player, a coach, or a team have to be met with a bunch of people being sarcastic and borderline insulting? Can someone make a positive post without the sarcasm?

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
In order to not sound like a crybaby I decided to post this in a thread not about the Rangers.

Why does every positive thread about a player, a coach, or a team have to be a bunch of people being sarcastic and borderline insulting? Can someone make a positive post without the sarcasm?

Not that I personally have a problem with these kinds of threads, by all means people should post whatever they want.

But I'm wondering why every team or player that goes on a hot streak, always gets a thread about them posted on here. Or coaches of these hot teams, etc.

I'd be more understanding if it was a newcomer or even a fairly younger player having a breakout season or something.

But sometimes these threads happen, then we see said player or team come back to earth a few weeks later and playing back to their usual level of play.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Not that I personally have a problem with these kinds of threads, by all means people should post whatever they want.

But I'm wondering why every team or player that goes on a hot streak, always gets a thread about them posted on here. Or coaches of these hot teams, etc.

I'd be more understanding if it was a newcomer or even a fairly younger player having a breakout season or something.

But sometimes these threads happen, then we see said player or team come back to earth a few weeks later and playing back to their usual level of play.

It's a hockey message board. Posting things happening in the league and discussing them is kind of the point, no? What exactly fits the standard of what you want to see posted?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's a hockey message board. Posting things happening in the league and discussing them is kind of the point, no? What exactly fits the standard of what you want to see posted?

Like I said, people are free to post what they want to.

I just laugh when a player is on a hot streak or a team is on a hot streak and get their own threads, asking why isn't everyone else talking about them?

The ''Mike Condon for Calder'' threads, Montreal threads at the start of last year and ''The Ottawa Senators are here to burn down your village'' threads from last year were really funny when looking back at them just a month or two later.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Teams a tire fire. Miller is associated with our mess but hes actually playing really well. To the point that some uninformed poster started a thread series in the poll section about best goalies and wont even add Miller to the list of potentials to vote for. Its not fair and to be fair Miller is stopping just about everything he has to be one of the top voted goalies now so far for this season so far

939 sv %
1.7 GAA

Man o man those are conn smythe and vezina numbers (playoff MVP and best goalie awards fyi)

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Teams a tire fire. Miller is associated with our mess but hes actually playing really well. To the point that some uninformed poster started a thread series in the poll section about best goalies and wont even add Miller to the list of potentials to vote for. Its not fair and to be fair Miller is stopping just about everything he has to be one of the top voted goalies now so far for this season so far

939 sv %
1.7 GAA

Man o man those are conn smythe and vezina numbers (playoff MVP and best goalie awards fyi)

Not sure if serious on those being Vezina/Conn Smythe numbers. They are absolutely Vezina/Conn Smythe numbers if sustained over a full season or playoffs. But even Al Montoya has a .955 save percentage over 4 games this season. Luongo had a .960 after the first few games and is now down at 91%, that's how fast things can change in a smaller sample size of games played.

Not taking anything away from Miller. I don't think Miller is anywhere near the greatest in the league. Not even close. Doesn't mean he's bad, I just don't think he's that great. Considering there's several goalies that have had a .920+ save percentage over the past few years combined, Miller hasn't even had .920 or higher for a season in 7 years.

Not trying to take anything away from his start. He's been solid and I think the league should seriously give him (and anyone else screwed out of a shutout on an empty net own goal on a delayed penalty) a shutout in his career total for that game. He should get an official shutout. But I'm just not sold on him or his start.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Glad to see some Vancouver fans saying nice things about Miller. I hope he can keep this pace up and give you guys a great season, like the ones he had in Buffalo.

I've felt bad for the guy ever since he left the Sabres. He was so beloved here and ever since he left it seems like all I've seen is hate for him.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Please. Miller is one of the most accredited goalies in the game despite only having one elite season. Byron Defoe would be jealous.

I just now caught that post and I'm not sure if serious.

Miller is 36 years old, he hasn't had a full season over .920 since 09-10.

He's had only three seasons of being better than a .916 for the year. He had a .923 with Buffalo in 13-14, before the trade to St Louis and finishing with a .918 for the season.

He's nowhere near a great. He's honestly one of the more overrated goaltender's of the post-lockout era.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad