Is it time to worry about Tyler Johnson?

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I agree on Flip. People keep saying he's a good defensively but that's not what I see.

He's been all downhill since his first season here, where he did live up to the hype. Just seems like ever since he lost his spot to TJ he's been a shadow of himself.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
He's been all downhill since his first season here, where he did live up to the hype. Just seems like ever since he lost his spot to TJ he's been a shadow of himself.

To be totally honest I thought he had a very good playoffs run, particularly useful to drive possession and PP offensive zone entry but outside of these 20ish games I think he's been way too passive. Let's see whether Namestnikov's emergence will lit a fire under his ass. If Flip loses his spot to VN, he's gone and unlike Carle we will find buyers.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think Flip has been as bad as some other forwards. Kucherov is struggling a little and his game is to score and provide offense and is getting prime time on the PP.

But I think it's a little early to get worried about any player just yet. 20 games or so in then maybe have to start to worry a little.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
To be totally honest I thought he had a very good playoffs run, particularly useful to drive possession and PP offensive zone entry but outside of these 20ish games I think he's been way too passive. Let's see whether Namestnikov's emergence will lit a fire under his ass. If Flip loses his spot to VN, he's gone and unlike Carle we will find buyers.

You've described the whole team at this point though... everyone is just kind of passive, this isn't exclusive to Flip.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
After game 12, They were put together about a year ago on the 24th and started clicking right away, Johnson only had one goal in 12 games, so after two more games if they still suck, i'll be very, very worried.

None of this, oh maybe they'll be good the 2nd half of the season garbage, we need them now or we might be in trouble the 2nd half of the season.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
After game 12, They were put together about a year ago on the 24th and started clicking right away, Johnson only had one goal in 12 games, so after two more games if they still suck, i'll be very, very worried.

None of this, oh maybe they'll be good the 2nd half of the season garbage, we need them now or we might be in trouble the 2nd half of the season.

Coop has been changing the lines too much, not allowing chemistry to be built or for a line to work out their issues. This goes for TKO as well. He is promoting guys who are not playing well, and lowering guys who are playing well. So I think some of the blame is on Coop. Not all of it, but some of it, they also have been way too laxed as well so they should certainly be getting some of the blame also. I also think the 11F/7D needs to stop now. It worked for certain games, but think it's run it's course.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I'm still not reading too much into a tough road trip. Let's see if it continues with the Avalanche tomorrow.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I'm still not reading too much into a tough road trip. Let's see if it continues with the Avalanche tomorrow.

If we can't even score on the Avalanche which is not a good team then I will officially be worried about our offense across the board. It's not a skill problem though. The team just needs to get their **** back together.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
If we can't even score on the Avalanche which is not a good team then I will officially be worried about our offense across the board. It's not a skill problem though. The team just needs to get their **** back together.

Ya it's a number of things going bad at once. There's a lot of bad luck with the amount of hit posts, but at some point hitting posts isn't an excuse. If the team can't put up three against the Avalanche I will start to get very concerned about our offense.

I really feel like a lot of it is the team composition. On any given night we are running 6 natural centers and/ or 7 defensemen. This just makes no sense night in and night out. We need to go back to 12/6, and balance the team out some. Drouin needs more ice time, Val needs less, and hell, I'm the one crazy guy in the room yelling that Brown should be stapled to the forth line and not a healthy scratch.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Coop has been changing the lines too much, not allowing chemistry to be built or for a line to work out their issues. This goes for TKO as well. He is promoting guys who are not playing well, and lowering guys who are playing well. So I think some of the blame is on Coop. Not all of it, but some of it, they also have been way too laxed as well so they should certainly be getting some of the blame also. I also think the 11F/7D needs to stop now. It worked for certain games, but think it's run it's course.

TyJo should not be allowed to have the "line chemistry" be the excuse for his lack of performing when Stamkos was juggled from line to line and everyone still s*** all over him for having one bad season last year.

I was in the boat that if you give Stammer good line mates and stop changing them every game he'll get going, look how good 27-91-24 has been, some said he should score no matter what and I just shook my head. I also believe this with Johnson and TKO, just saying how its unfair that we all throw Stamkos under the bus a lot, yes its because he wants a lot of money, but Johnson will be asking for a lot of money soon as well.

Johnson, Palat and Kuch are a line that should remain together and allow them to get clicking again. CoopersGonnaCoop

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
TyJo should not be allowed to have the "line chemistry" be the excuse for his lack of performing when Stamkos was juggled from line to line and everyone still s*** all over him for having one bad season last year.

I was in the boat that if you give Stammer good line mates and stop changing them every game he'll get going, look how good 27-91-24 has been, some said he should score no matter what and I just shook my head. I also believe this with Johnson and TKO, just saying how its unfair that we all throw Stamkos under the bus a lot, yes its because he wants a lot of money, but Johnson will be asking for a lot of money soon as well.

Johnson, Palat and Kuch are a line that should remain together and allow them to get clicking again. CoopersGonnaCoop

27-91-24 still has been our most productive line this season, so Coop changing it does not make sense to me. Things have been so bad that he has been seperating TKO. It just seems regardless of how Drouin or anyone on that line performs Coop breaks it up. Now if we scored and won any of the last 2 games would not say a thing about the lines changing, but we have been shutout back to back games against two different teams, so it ain't working anymore to blow up the lines like that.

At least Coop did not go with 17-51-91 last game. So he is learning about that.......until tonight. lol.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
27-91-24 still has been our most productive line this season, so Coop changing it does not make sense to me. Things have been so bad that he has been seperating TKO. It just seems regardless of how Drouin or anyone on that line performs Coop breaks it up. Now if we scored and won any of the last 2 games would not say a thing about the lines changing, but we have been shutout back to back games against two different teams, so it ain't working anymore to blow up the lines like that.

At least Coop did not go with 17-51-91 last game. So he is learning about that.......until tonight. lol.
Eh - no one has been productive lately. I'll try pretty much anything now.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL

I'm definitely worried now. Have you my seen my posts on the game last night and in the bold prediction thread?

Still, there's plenty of time to turn it around, but the team has gotta take it more serious, start crashing the net more, etc.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Eh - no one has been productive lately. I'll try pretty much anything now.

17-91-24 looked really good last night, luck was not on their side, if it was, they would of had a 9 point night or something. They had like 12 SOG between them last night. Not counting the missed shots or cross bars/posts. At this point I don't even care about current point totals because it is not reflecting the play of some of these guys. If they are looking good and putting that effort into their play, it's just a matter of time, the points/goals will come. I mean, I think Stamkos is playing well and Killorn might of had his best game last night.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011

He wouldn't be changing lines as much if we were not getting hurt. Seems a forward or two is out every game. Killorn, Boyle, Paquette have missed multiple games. Drouin and Johnson are out now. Not much choice than to experiment under these conditions.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Shot looks OK but I still wonder about the wrist

His shot does not look remotely similar to prime TJ. His release is slow, the puck no longer explodes off the stick and he's slower than he was last year.

Last season, he was a no double #1 Center for this team ahead of Stamkos in all 3 zones and killing penalties. This year so far(small sample size and injury still clearly effecting him), he looks like a borderline NHLr.

He's clearly fighting an injury, but at this point, sit him and let someone else play on that line.

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
His shot does not look remotely similar to prime TJ. His release is slow, the puck no longer explodes off the stick and he's slower than he was last year.

Last season, he was a no double #1 Center for this team ahead of Stamkos in all 3 zones and killing penalties. This year so far(small sample size and injury still clearly effecting him), he looks like a borderline NHLr.

He's clearly fighting an injury, but at this point, sit him and let someone else play on that line.

That's scary. Wrist injuries are not good

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad