Is it time to worry about Tyler Johnson?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Short answer: No

Long answer: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Johnson had like 4 golden scoring opportunities tonight plus a great assist. Meanwhile I'm still only like 75% sure that Filppula even played. So no, not worried about him. The goals will come. At least he's actually doing things out there even though he's been snakebit.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Nope. I think his wrist injury was pretty severe and that is supported by how late into the summer he was wearing that cast. His wrist might not be 100% yet. I won't be worried about him until he still looks lost 20-30 games in.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Johnson's been good in most of our games. He'll start catching breaks soon. I think he had something like one goal in our first 10-12 games last year.

Kuch has been worse. But he's starting to come around too. After what we saw last year, it'll be a while before I worry about TKO. Lots of faith.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Didn't bother reading, Johnson has looked fine.

He was the same at the start of last season, wasn't PPG at this point but he was the most consistent forward on the team night in and out. At least this year there are guys outshining him.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Players get snake bit. It happens. He will be fine. He's still getting chances. Just not burying them.

TheThunderYears

100% Cap Compliant
Aug 20, 2007
The Filthy South
Johnson's going to have a puck bounce off of his leg and into the net over the next few games and then the goals will come pretty quickly. Always takes a greasy one to break a snide like this and then the pretty ones all start going in. He's visibly frustrated, but getting his chances and keeping his legs moving.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Yes he struggling with scoring but he's still putting up decent assist points and still making some nice plays. He just needs to get the first one out of the way and he should be fine.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
No worries , heck everyone else is scoring. Even Coburn. Sustr will probably knock one in tonight. Tyler will catch fire and then watch out. The triplet line had some nice surges last night so it won't be long.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
No he is playing well just isnt a 70 point player more like 50 to 60 point player. He hasn't buried chances, but they are there.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
No worries. Should have made this about Kucherov, IMO, though he's slowly getting better as well.

JS91

May 14, 2014
He's probably had the most chances to score so far this season out of everyone in our team. He's just been VERY unlucky with all the posts etc. As Peckham and Engblom noted last night, TJ only had 1 goal in the first 12 games last season too (even though the Triplets were put together on game 8) and he still ended up with 29 so no point in worrying yet.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one saying Johnson's slow start isn't a concern yet. Literally no one on here seems worried, which is surprising. Hopefully Johnson scores tonight and gets things rolling in that department.

And even if he doesn't, if the forth line keeps playing like they are, we won't have to worry about goal scoring haha.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Johnson had like 4 golden scoring opportunities tonight plus a great assist. Meanwhile I'm still only like 75% sure that Filppula even played. So no, not worried about him. The goals will come. At least he's actually doing things out there even though he's been snakebit.

Ya Flips been a complete mess. I wonder if his age is catching up to him suddenly, because he looks slow and like he has Brown's hands right now.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Nope, not worried. He's not scoring but he's still playing great and setting up plays like he was last year. As others have said, he's probably still getting his wrist back to where it needs to be.

As for Flip, I like him on the third line. Great vet that is responsible defensively and can hold possession. The only time he stands out(in a bad way) is when Coop insists on running him on the PP.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Nope, not worried. He's not scoring but he's still playing great and setting up plays like he was last year. As others have said, he's probably still getting his wrist back to where it needs to be.

As for Flip, I like him on the third line. Great vet that is responsible defensively and can hold possession.
The only time he stands out(in a bad way) is when Coop insists on running him on the PP.

Biggest misconception about Flip. He's not very good defensively. And he's not that good of a possession player.

Despite the team's insanely high possession numbers last season, Flip was pretty much break even at 50.2%. This season he's at 47.5% so far.

He was a -14 on a team that was +51, and the only not named JT Brown or Brendan Morrow that was a minus (they were -2 and -1 respectively).

In the playoffs he was a -6, and while there were some players that were with him in the basement there (such as defensive stalwart Matt Carle), it is still very low.

Flip as a good defensive player is a lie that's getting told so often, people are starting to believe it. He's basically becoming our version of Dan Girardi - living off of reputation but not performance.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
http://alongtheboards.com/2015/10/worry-tyler-johnson/

An article about Tyler Johnson's early season struggles. Just trying to make some sense about it. I know it's early to be worried, so I didn't want this to be a completely inflammatory article. I already know not everyone agrees with me on Johnson's struggles, some of our discussions prompted this article haha.

absolutely NOT

I WORRY ON THE INJURY AND BROUGHT IT UP LAST YEAR BUT BUT BUT

I SEE NO SIGNS OF HIM STRUGGLING WITH SHOT OR VELOCITY OF PHYSICAL PROBLEMS HES GONNA BUST OUT AND GET HIS 25 GOALS NO WORRIES

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
No he is playing well just isnt a 70 point player more like 50 to 60 point player. He hasn't buried chances, but they are there.

I believe he's a 70 point player. And he looks like a 70 point player right now. I mean, a "funk" for TJ means he has 5 points in 8 games. That's really not bad at all. He went stretches of 4 and 5 games last year without a point, maybe more, and still racked up 70. Looks like a 65-75 lifer to me.

But above and beyond that, he's playing well. Even on bad nights, TJ doesn't make mistakes.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad