Is it time to move Edler onto the 2nd PP unit?

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
Edler's play has been a bit concerning this season but I think the PP is where he's been the most effective. He's the only guy that shoots the puck with any regularity. The fact that nobody else is willing to shoot the puck is the major problem I see right now. Last night on the OT powerplay they were making all these tough passes through the box but there was never a shot on the other end of the pass.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
We should probably make this into a PP discussion thread because ... hell there is a lot to talk about.

Anyway, it's time to give Garrison a shot. Yes he isn't exactly the most creative offensive guy out there, and has some trouble moving the puck, but we need to at least try that shot on the first unit PP. Maybe actually run some plays that aim to set him up?

You don't even need to replace Edler. Put Garrison in Schroeder's spot (who I think should be QBing the second unit on the half boards). Also the second unit has no idea what it is doing ... they either need to practice it more or we need to give them more of a shot in games.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I think it's crazy that Garrison isn't out there. I get what they're doing with Schroeder, but Edler for whatever reason (coaching, his own inclination -- I don't know) just won't load up for a quick release from the point.

I'd love to have Garrison out there with license to fire one-timers any time he's available. I think it would force the opposing PK to stop collapsing on Burrows in front of the net (he often has two guys there).

The Sedins should also be shooting off the sidewall when teams cheat to the net front.

These are really obvious/easy adjustments that aren't being made, in my opinion.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I'd have Bieksa and Garrison on the first PP unit.

Edler and Hamhuis on the 2nd unit.

I'd also have Kassian on one of the units, parked in front of the net. Getting some PP points would bolster his confidence. IMO people are being too harsh on him. PFs take a long time to develop, and AV needs to stick with him through his ups and downs. He needs to have some confidence going into the playoffs.

And Newell Brown needs to be fired (AV too, count me on that bandwagon now). The guys are hesitating and standing too far apart. I'd have them practicing one-touch passing and shooting - introduce some urgency.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
We should probably make this into a PP discussion thread because ... hell there is a lot to talk about.

Anyway, it's time to give Garrison a shot. Yes he isn't exactly the most creative offensive guy out there, and has some trouble moving the puck, but we need to at least try that shot on the first unit PP. Maybe actually run some plays that aim to set him up?

You don't even need to replace Edler. Put Garrison in Schroeder's spot (who I think should be QBing the second unit on the half boards). Also the second unit has no idea what it is doing ... they either need to practice it more or we need to give them more of a shot in games.

The baffling thing is that Brown has Schroeder in the slot in the 2nd unit when Kesler was back, and had Raymond be the QB of that second unit...

Things I will never understand.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
5 years later...

How does this guy keep getting on the first unit when it clearly doesn't work?

Hutton was feeding EP just fine and Green decides to move him off because why exactly?

Square peg round hole!
Yup. Imo Hutton is the perfect placeholder until Hughes gets unleashed when his season finishes.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
My theory on why he struggles to make the pass to EP is due to Edler playing so much with the Sedins on the PP throughout his career. With Hank on the half wall, with no threat of a real one-timer anyways, Edler could make the simple pass over to just the general area for Hank to retrieve and make the next pass. Edler needs to figure out that Petterson needs the puck in a shooting position to at least have both options. Not sure if it will ever come now that it seems like he is so ingrained in that pass that he had relied on for so long. Hutton would be a better option here and Edler on the 2nd unit. It would also help the transition of Edler to primarily defensive minutes that he will most likely get next year if he's back with OJ and Hughes probably joining the team.

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
I honestly still think stetcher should have a look on PP1. Given how much time pouliot and hutton have had I actually dont really get why he hasn't had atleast a look.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Is this going to the new "should we split up the twins" post?

I'm excited.

YWKXHPg.jpg

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
5 years later...

Hutton was feeding EP just fine and Green decides to move him off because why exactly?

Square peg round hole!

Because veteran something something who wants the role and the coach doesn't have either the understanding or balls to bump him down the pecking order for a guy playing better.

Yet another example of how this team is the furthest thing from a meritocracy.

The last time Edler was actually effective on the PP was 7 seasons ago in 11-12 and we keep throwing him out there just because it's what we've always done and nobody has the competence, expectations, or fortitude to see and identify the problem and do better.

Reactions: EP40

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
No because Edler is still the best option on the pp.

There is a reason why 4 different coaches AV Torts Willy Green had Edler on the 1st unit.

Hughes will take over next year.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Edler hasn't been good on the PP for as long as this thread has been around. I can still appreciate who he has been as a player for this team, while I simultaneously realize he's failed to produce in the huge amount of PP time he's been given.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Edler hasn't been good on the PP for as long as this thread has been around. I can still appreciate who he has been as a player for this team, while I simultaneously realize he's failed to produce in the huge amount of PP time he's been given.

Ottawa, Carolina and Florida have been worse than us on the PP since 2013. That is it.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The Canucks have historically lacked a #1 PP QB. I would like to see Stetcher be given a chance to set up Pettersson or Boeser. Otherwise, Hutton has been more productive than Edler on the PP this season.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Time to move Edler to a different team. He can play behind Hughes next year on the 2nd PP unit if he re-signs in the offseason.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Id do

Goldobin Horvat Boeser
Hutton Pettersson

Virtanen Gaudette Gagner
Edler Stecher

Not ideal, but what we got

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
5 years later...

Square peg round hole!

You are clearly not an NHL coach, like Green or Desjardins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad