Is it time to move Edler onto the 2nd PP unit?

12u55

Oct 12, 2007
vancouver
I know my post is timely as he is not having his best game tonight, but I am so sick and tired of seeing the puck being dumped to our end and waiting for the slowest player on the ice to get all the way back to skate slowly up to the neutral zone to do a drop pass. Even though he is getting points this year, I'm somewhat disappointed with his play. He doesn't utilize his big shot nearly enough and doesn't look confident with the puck. I don't know who I would put on the 1st PP unit to replace him, but i think AV needs to change it up.

BTW Raymond was my whipping boy last year and I think now he has been one of our top players this year. Nice drop pass to Hansen, atta boy!

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
we should just accept the fact that the PP is brutal and not discuss it at this point, i feel like nothing's ever going to work

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Nice drop pass to Hansen, atta boy!

Speaking of drop passes, nice read by Edler not to make one a on PP rush there.

That aside, I think it would be lovely if he could get a point shot on net once in a while (that goes for all the D, btw).

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Speaking of drop passes, nice read by Edler not to make one a on PP rush there.

That aside, I think it would be lovely if he could get a point shot on net once in a while (that goes for all the D, btw).

I just don't get this complaint. He's Top 20 in SOG amongst defensemen and Top 10 in goals. How much do you guys think defensemen actually shoot and hit the net?

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
I just don't get this complaint. He's Top 20 in SOG amongst defensemen and Top 10 in goals. How much do you guys think defensemen actually shoot and hit the net?
What are his PP stats though?

our dmen are just way too slow and hesitant with the shot.

Waveburner

Sep 22, 2002
Replace him with who? Garrison does not handle the puck well enough or make decisions quick enough to be the primary point man. Hamhuis is decent but his shot is weak and he does not see the ice as well as Edler. Bieksa has always sucked on the powerplay. Ballard is terrible offensively with a weak shot. Tanev has the weakest shot of them all.

Edler is not one of the truly elite powerplay QB's out there, but he's still very good and by far the best option.

People just need to realize the parts do not align for a top 5 powerplay without Kesler. There are no other right handed shots to play back there. Temper your expectations, you'll live longer.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011

That last PP is indicative of where his head is. He looked so hesitant. He's got all the tools but he doesn't seem confident right now. And he's not a firebreather at the best of times,

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
Replace him with who? Garrison does not handle the puck well enough or make decisions quick enough to be the primary point man. Hamhuis is decent but his shot is weak and he does not see the ice as well as Edler. Bieksa has always sucked on the powerplay. Ballard is terrible offensively with a weak shot. Tanev has the weakest shot of them all.

Edler is not one of the truly elite powerplay QB's out there, but he's still very good and by far the best option.

People just need to realize the parts do not align for a top 5 powerplay without Kesler. There are no other right handed shots to play back there. Temper your expectations, you'll live longer.

I guess it comes down to opinion as to whether we're paying him to be an elite PPQB under a lower cap, because he's clearly not without his defensive warts. Another problem is that our defensive core is very expensive, and some (including myself) find that they run around far too much and fail to tie up sticks way too often. I personally have wanted Bowness gone two years ago.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Wouldn't hurt for a few games. The PP can't perform much worse that it is now.

They guy either has the worst luck in consistently receiving hard to control passes or he is just plain lousy in corraling them.

yoss

May 25, 2011
I don't know about that, but I'd like to see Garrison get another look on the first unit. I realize it wasn't pretty the first time around, but i just like his shot out there. Try it out lots in practice or something, idk, but that PP needs to produce with golden opportunities like the couple we had at the end tonight. Or produce at least the odd goal. Maybe Kesler is a huge difference maker on the PP.

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
Edler isn't the problem. He even had 8 shots on net tonight.

The problem is the Canucks PP (and whole game) has become stale and predictable.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
Personally I'd staple Edler to the bench for a game or two, but yeah trying something different on the PP can't hurt I guess.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
Edler isn't the problem. He even had 8 shots on net tonight.

The problem is the Canucks PP (and whole game) has become stale and predictable.

this. its like we are expecting to deflect or get a bounce with every shot. zero creativity.

FloydTheBarber

Aug 10, 2006
Yes he should be moved to the second unit, everyone else has been shuffled around, what harm can it do now?

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
If you signed guys based one bad playoff round then Boston wouldn't have won the cup after getting humiliated by philly.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
You can change the personnel all you want on the PP unit...

It's not going to start scoring again until it becomes dynami again. Snapping the puck around confidently, moving players, breaking down the box, creating lanes for passing/shooting. Doing a slow 'walk the blueline' exchange between the pointmen isn't going to cut it. This is the NHL...players aren't that stupid. By all means have motion and players swapping spots...but have them doing it constantly. Have them doing it away from the puck. Have them moving the box around by PASSING the puck through lanes rather than just winging it around the perimeter hoping someone on the PK ****s up.

If any coach on the Canucks deserves a pink slip...It's Newell Brown. He had ONE great idea for the PP...it's dried up and he hasn't figured out how to fix it even remotely. It's time for a change...and it has nothing to do with the infamous 'drop-pass' zone entry. Although that certainly isn't helping his case...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad