TSN: Is it time for the Sens fans to forgive Dany Heatley?

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
no thanks.. if anyone else did what he did be in prison. then acted like a spoiled brat to get out of Ottawa. lucky he even had the chance to play hockey. keep him away any celebration for him is a game i will be skipping.

Reactions: c_mak

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Heck no.

As others have said, we paid huge to give the guy a new start and despite providing him everything he could possibly want - top-tier linemates, a very competitive team and a hefty contract, he threw it all back in the team's face. Worse yet, he handcuffed the team on the way out to force his way to San Jose. To try to compare Heatley, who requested a trade under nebulous circumstances and who has never admitted any degree of fault in how the situation played out, to Karlsson, who was practically in tears on his way out and insisted that he didn't want to leave, is disingenuous.

We flipping gave up Hossa for this guy!

Last edited:

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Heck no.

As others have said, we paid huge to give the guy a new start and despite providing him everything he could possibly want - top-tier linemates, a very competitive team and a hefty contract, and he threw it all back in the team's face. Worse yet, he handcuffed the team on the way out to force his way to San Jose. To try to compare Heatley, who requested a trade under nebulous circumstances and who has never admitted any degree of fault in how the situation played out, to Karlsson, who was practically in tears on his way out and insisted that he didn't want to leave, is disingenuous.

This. /thread

Reactions: h2

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Why on earth anyone would hate a guy because he asked to play for a different team is beyond me. It's absolutely irrational. The posters flaming him on here have no clue who he even is. They've never spent any time with him or have any idea what kind of person he is. I'll never understand why people in general are so quick to hate. It's a little bit scary but mainly it's just sad.

Boy do you ever love to play the contrarian. If people "hating" hockey players scares you so much you should probably never leave your house lol.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Heck no.

As others have said, we paid huge to give the guy a new start and despite providing him everything he could possibly want - top-tier linemates, a very competitive team and a hefty contract, he threw it all back in the team's face. Worse yet, he handcuffed the team on the way out to force his way to San Jose. To try to compare Heatley, who requested a trade under nebulous circumstances and who has never admitted any degree of fault in how the situation played out, to Karlsson, who was practically in tears on his way out and insisted that he didn't want to leave, is disingenuous.

Honestly, I feel like Mendes should apologize for making the comparison at all. Do it @ianmendes. :naughty:

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Boy do you ever love to play the contrarian. If people "hating" hockey players scares you so much you should probably never leave your house lol.
I think it’s the opposite. I actually participate in the world and that’s why I don’t irrationally hate real and actual people that I have never met and have no knowledge of their personal situation. How you could then presume that I’m somehow fearful is quite the jump.
Go outside and meet actual people. Nobody that I deal with in my world acts like this. It’s completely irrational. But everyone has their path I guess. Good luck hating strangers.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Meh. I loved Heatley in Ottawa, and he was a dick on the way out. At the end of the day, his game declined drastically when he left Ottawa and Michalek did okay as a Senator.

I don’t hate him. I don’t really think about him anymore. If I do think of him, I have good memories of him scoring back to back 50 goal seasons in a Sens jersey

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
Heatley signed a huge contract then asked for a trade a year later veto'd a better trade to Edmonton, and then would only go to the sharks. He negotiated the no trade clause - his right.
Does he have demons - yep I would to if the accident I caused killed my best friend.
Truth is he never did his community service in Atlanta. He wasn't forced to really face the music of what he did because the Synder family was very understanding. He is kinda douche. I'd never forgive him

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
I understand why Mendes brings up this point. Through the lens of 10 years of hindsight it is possible to change your mind about something. Most of us have a different view of Melynk now than we did 10 years ago so it is worth asking if you feel differently about Heatly today than you did 10 years ago.

I think I feel the same way as almost everyone else. Karlsson, Spezza, and Alfredsson were each at the end of their contracts and likely had legit hockey reasons for wanting out. Heatly was early in a front loaded contract and used his no trade clause to go to the Sharks rather than the Oilers.

As for the trade itself I feel somewhat indifferent. Michalek wasn't awesome but he did ok as a top 6 forward. Heatly declined into something close to dead cap space at the end of his 8 year contract.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I had the opportunity to mercilessly boo Hestley during a Charlotte Checkers game many years ago.

The rink was as silent as you may imagine so every barb was clearly heard...have to say it was a lot of fun and by the end, after I had explained the situation to several locals I had a good sized group booing and jeering him.

His 1st return with the Sharks was legend too...the community really came together, it was nice to see.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Heck no.

Lets be real, Karlsson never had any intention to sign long term in Ottawa under that management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad