TSN: Is it time for the Sens fans to forgive Dany Heatley?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Eh, don’t really care anymore.

Heatley was a dick.

I’m over it at this point, if he wants closure, sure. Doubt he’ll get it from the masses, but I’m cool with it.

Reactions: Juvenators

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
I dont care anymore, holding onto hate for that long is no good for your soul.

I am interested in understanding what happened that led to his request but that is just me being nosey.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Im pretty much entirely over it. I certainly cant speak for everyone on here, but I dont like to get hung up on the past for very long. Nostalgia is a seductive liar.

Having said that, if Heatley went on to continue dominating and had a HHOF career, I feel like I would hate him more than I do now. If anything I feel a little bad for the guy, but cannot deny that it was extremely pleasing to seem get humbled year after year until the point that he was not even an every day NHLer anymore.

I personally would not boo him if he ever showed his face in Ottawa at a game.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Like a lot of people I feel indifferent about the entire situation. Perhaps as sens fans we are all immune to this type of bs since its been happening for as long as I can remember.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
The purpose of a NTC is to protect a player from being traded by their current team against their will to a team they don't want to play for. If you request a trade, it is in bad faith to exercise that NTC since you have made the decision that you want to be traded from your current team.

Having a NTC does not (read: should not) mean you are a UFA who gets to choose where they want to play.

He was completely selfish and disrespected the contract the Senators gave him, and in doing so disrespected the fanbase by ensuring they got a bad return in the trade.

f*** Dany Heatley, and I am very happy that he tanked as a hockey player.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Why on earth anyone would hate a guy because he asked to play for a different team is beyond me. It's absolutely irrational. The posters flaming him on here have no clue who he even is. They've never spent any time with him or have any idea what kind of person he is. I'll never understand why people in general are so quick to hate. It's a little bit scary but mainly it's just sad.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
I mean it's been long enough that I don't hold any mouth-frothing hate for the guy, but he's still a huge dick.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Weird one

https://www.tsn.ca/is-it-time-for-sens-fans-to-forgive-dany-heatley-1.1364353

“I don’t think I did anything wrong asking for a trade,” Heatley said. “I had my reasons for it. If people want to think differently of me, that’s fine. But I believe I did nothing wrong and I’m happy to move on.”

While Heatley was vilified for demanding a trade out of Ottawa, many fans sided with Karlsson for his decision to leave town.

With the benefit of hindsight, is it possible Heatley was truly no different than any of the other stars who left after him? Maybe he just wanted to leave a chaotic and dysfunctional situation. Heatley hinted as much when I asked him about his trade from Ottawa about 15 months after it happened – in November of 2010

Healtey's situation had NOTHING to do with Karlsson and he should know that. He was getting PAID, think of what 7.5 M$ in 2008-09 would be today. Karlsson could have been paid too, but pretty much offered to take a hometown discount and no signing bonuses or leave (it makes you think about Alfie).

Melnyk losing 4 M$ with Heatley's bonus (IIRC) is maybe what sparkled Melnyk's outrage and penny-pinching spree. Sorry Mr. Heatley but I won't feel empathy for you. What happened is you asked for a trade because you couldn't take your pill and just wait it out that Clouston loses his job. 2 years before Sens were still elite and made the Cup finals, the year after they made the playoffs and finished 1st in NH scoring. Sorry but you were one of the big reasons why the Sens declined and to rebuild in 2011

That being said, thankfully you asked for that trade because you became MASSIVELY overpaid 2 years into the contract and the Sens were able to get a cheaper/faster/younger/better 200-feet player in return (as well as a 2nd)

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Why on earth anyone would hate a guy because he asked to play for a different team is beyond me. It's absolutely irrational. The posters flaming him on here have no clue who he even is. They've never spent any time with him or have any idea what kind of person he is. I'll never understand why people in general are so quick to hate. It's a little bit scary but mainly it's just sad.
I don't think it was simply about the trade request. He demanded a trade and still enforced his incredibly limiting NTC. There was also the debacle of apparently giving the go ahead to negotiate with Edmonton only to say no.

It's a debatable subject, but my opinion is players shouldn't get to control their destination like that after they demanded a trade.

Reactions: DrEasy

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
The Heatley trade was the worst thing to happen to the franchise when it happened. Today its not even top 10.

Reactions: DrEasy

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Looking at what's happened over the last 2 seasons, the Heatley saga is just a minor blemish now. I wish we could go back to the days where only 1 star wants out, but we still have 3 others on the roster who seem happy and committed.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
It must have been a no or slow news day for Ian Mendes to pen this fluff piece, or he was obligated to write something and this was easy-peasy to do. There are other more important hockey issues he could have addressed but those would have required some research time.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I still get a kick out of Rangers fans chanting Potvin sucks. Hockey fans hold long grudges. I know a lot of Sens fans cheered Yashin at the outdoor game, but im still not one of them. I dont know why, but Heatley im not as upset with, maybe cause he was declining not young and improving. Not going to cheer for him either though.

His famous, you'll see comment though, i now assume was referring to Melnyk more than Clouston, but would love to know.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
It’s been so long ago I don’t even care or think about it...

But you can’t deny he was a brilliant player for the team, and thankfully he turned to crap once he left so it’s not all bad.

Raze The Stray

Duuuuuude
Aug 5, 2009
Auto-wah
I like Mendes but this is way out there, not seeing the parallels he's drawing between Karlsson and Heatley one bit.

Heatley can still eat a ****, but I probably wouldn't throw a lemon at him today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->