TSN: Is it time for the Sens fans to forgive Dany Heatley?

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Weird one

https://www.tsn.ca/is-it-time-for-sens-fans-to-forgive-dany-heatley-1.1364353

“I don’t think I did anything wrong asking for a trade,” Heatley said. “I had my reasons for it. If people want to think differently of me, that’s fine. But I believe I did nothing wrong and I’m happy to move on.”

While Heatley was vilified for demanding a trade out of Ottawa, many fans sided with Karlsson for his decision to leave town.

With the benefit of hindsight, is it possible Heatley was truly no different than any of the other stars who left after him? Maybe he just wanted to leave a chaotic and dysfunctional situation. Heatley hinted as much when I asked him about his trade from Ottawa about 15 months after it happened – in November of 2010

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
yeah i don't get it. why does anyone need to "forgive" anyone? How is it even an issue? How about rather than "forgiving" people just forget it.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
....why?

What's the point at picking this particular scab now? Media is weird.

Today is the ten-year anniversary of sending Heatley to San Jose.

I don't care. Heatley was here when the times were good. Since he left he has sucked and so have we. If the Senators want to have a Heatley appreciation night to rekindle the flame of the glory days, I'd be all for it to be honest. Nothing wrong with a bit of sunshine during these troubled times.

Here again though.... Melnyk :laugh:

Reactions: swiftwin

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I never held anything against Heatley. He wanted out. He had his reasons. I agreed with his reasons. He had trade protection which was his right to exercise. I thought the return on the trade was light.
Only terrible thing was he seemed to fall apart as a hockey player shortly after leaving.

Reactions: Cosmix and Icelevel

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I don't forgive him.

We welcomed him here after a pretty difficult time in his life (one that he bears responsibility for) and helped give him a new start. We gave him world class talent to work with. We gave him the contract he wanted.

Then he decided one day he didn't want it any more. Then he played hardball to force Murray's hand so he could land where he wanted to, notably diminishing any trade returns. The team put a lot of faith in him and showed real commitment.

Then he has the balls to lie and claim it was due to some "diminished role" nonsense.

In the long term did it work out better than the dire situation we expected? Sure.

But in the end . . .

f*** Dany Heatley.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I don't forgive him.

We welcomed him here after a pretty difficult time in his life (one that he bears responsibility for) and helped give him a new start. We gave him world class talent to work with. We gave him the contract he wanted.

Then he decided one day he didn't want it any more. Then he played hardball to force Murray's hand so he could land where he wanted to, notably diminishing any trade returns. The team put a lot of faith in him and showed real commitment.

Then he has the balls to lie and claim it was due to some "diminished role" nonsense.

In the long term did it work out better than the dire situation we expected? Sure.

But in the end . . .

**** Dany Heatley.

Not that I care anymore, but this is how I felt/feel as well.

Reactions: Senscore

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't see the need to celebrate him and I also don't see the point in celebrating the past in general unless Alfie is willing to get involved again. He is the past.

Reactions: Icelevel

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
What a ridiculous strawman. The fans don't even think about Heatley. He wasn't at the alumni game because Melnyk hates him. There is nothing that needs thawing from the perspective of the fanbase. The end.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Don’t like the takes in the article.

Heatley was called the most hated man in Hockey, not Ottawa. Fans in Edmonton still don’t like him. Fans in Atlanta still don’t like him. Fans across the NHL don’t like Heatley. It’s not specific to Ottawa.

Why is it that Ottawa always has to be compared to Montreal and Toronto to analyze the fan reaction. Toronto has a history of nothingness and has already turned on Marner after 3 years and and Montreal has protests because Randy Cunneyworth was coach.

Mendes spent to long in a booth with Simmer and his idea that everyone in Ottawa is insecure and needs to be reassured. We don’t. We’re fine.

Let’s just say what it was - Murray handled the trade about as poorly as you can and let Heatekys reputation be ruined by becoming the most hated man in hockey. And the return was garbage. Heatley is a grease monkey and a jerk.

This is it: it’s hard to embrace someone who did something horrible and was sent to your community where he’s treated like gold. You embrace him and he returns it with 50 goals, and then asks out when the going gets tough. You feel the arrogance and the self centred attitude and that doesn’t play well in Ottawa or anywhere, and that’s why Heatley is a dick. He got a second chance and asked for more. We didn’t need him to like us and embrace us, we needed him to be happy with all he’s been given from second chances to money to adoration. And when that’s given and it’s not enough for someone, you just kinda say, F U

Last edited:
Reactions: Ed Wood

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Bothered me a bit at the time but the irritation quickly left, compared to the issues we have today I long for those types of problems!

Reactions: Icelevel

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
He had his reasons. The conditions set out by the court after he crashed his car and killed his friend ended the same time he asked for a trade. He was able to return the states without any restrictions again.

Reactions: RaMai

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Yes and yes. I don't remember what came of the lawsuit but Eugene probably lost. The team gave him those contractual rights so I don't know what leg Eugene would have to stand on in that case.
The case was settled out of court and details were never released. But safe to say Melnyk likely got some form of compensation, albeit probably nowhere near the full value of the bonus.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Didn't he refuse a trade to Edmonton, and this way he was able to collect a $4 million bonus???? Wasn't Melnyk suing him for this??

The story as I recall was that we asked him permission to negotiate a trade with Edmonton and he said it was fine. We came to an agreement which leaked to the media (Cogliano, Penner, Smid and something else if I recall) but Heatley nixed it. I guess his take was blessing us engaging Edm was different than waiving his NMC.

The delay caused by all that meant that his bonus became due before we could finalize a trade with SJ. I think the bonus money was going to be paid either way, it's just that because of the delay Melnyk had to pay it despite a trade being agreed on prior, and he wasn't impressed.

Honestly, if Melnyk were as unpopular back then as he is today, I'd be willing to be a lot of people would have given Heatley a pass.

Reactions: Back in Black

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad