Is it time for Lou to get his walking papers

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I wasn't specifically discussing the Parise situation. But it's always the same nonsense from the guy who erroneously thinks he's a player away from the SCF.

The devils aren't a big market team that can watch players that they developed, walk away with nothing in return. That's the issue. Lou lets talent walk away, instead of converting it into something tangible. Wasting resources in this league will come back to bite you. That I can you assure you.

But Lou has always let talent walk. And even in the Zach case we got darn close to having that game plan pay off.

And if the concern is letting guys walk via FA, then Kovy should not be part of the discussion.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Ok -
You trade your captain Parise mid-season and we don't get within a couple of games of winning the cup. Explain why to your fanbase, who believes he is coming back.

Ok-
You trade Kovy to ?? and the newly signed Devil-for-life contract because you think he's going to retire, and after all, we probably don't need his scoring. He then retires. What does the NHL do other than launch a probe to see if you had a priori knowledge of his planned retirement which would probably result in us losing more draft picks.

Ok-
You trade Clarkson because...aw heck...

What would you have done differently? The answer is- nothing.

1st point:
Trading away Parise for picks and prospects would've been a stupid move, there's no denying that but since you think Lou is the second coming of Jesus Christ, one would think that he could've at least gotten something similar to what Buffalo got for Vanek, or is Buffalo's Gm "smarter" then Lou?

The Sabres landed a player that racked up similar stats to what Vanek had over the past 3 years PLUS multiple draft picks. A team like the Kings, would've paid a huge ransom in order to get their "stud winger" they wanted when they missed out on the Kovy saga.

The argument of not landing a solid return is flaud since we gave the same player who missed a entire season with a knee injury, the captaincy and we wanted to ink his ass on a LTC. So again, if Lou is smarter then most and wasn't certain about the health of ZP, one would think he would've offered him a one year deal as of day #1 and moved on... but the opposite is actually what happend.

Point #2:
You don't trade Kovalchuk cause basically, he's unmovable, so let's forget about that option.

Point #3:
You move Clarkson since the entire world and the other living creatures around the universe knew that David was going to get the keys to the bank of the TMLSE safe. We weren't making the postseason anyways, so we should've maximised a asset just like Doug Wilson did with Clowe and Murray.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Even if we don't think Lou is the second coming, ya know, a mere mortal with an excellent track record as GM. can we still have the opinion that he should keep his job?

GhostofKenKlee

you can't just like somebody, you have to worship him or drink his kool aid, that's datw logic at best. when I hear someone put down someone as the second coming of Christ, that's a delusion they have of themselves or their opinions being spot on.

GhostofKenKlee

So now the fired gm of a team owning the worst record is smarter than lou because he's asset managed Vanek. the lunacy caroseul goes round and round.

that's a stretch if I've ever read one. So, everyone and their mother knew Clarkson was bolting, why would give up an asset for him? I love how datw comes up with these theories or even as if it's all gospel.

Wilson had and has replacement players for said traded assets. how come lou is given credit for trading spare parts, but yet Wilson is hailed as a genius for it? around the lunacy ride continues.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Point #3:
You move Clarkson since the entire world and the other living creatures around the universe knew that David was going to get the keys to the bank of the TMLSE safe. We weren't making the postseason anyways, so we should've maximised a asset just like Doug Wilson did with Clowe and Murray.

I think that Clowe and Murray were both players on the decline (obviously) so that's a tough comparison.

I agree that I would have liked him to move Clarkson - but even that is Monday morning quarterbacking. We weren't out of things completely at the deadline, and Clarkson has strong ties to Deboer and the franchise. It wasn't a complete slam dunk he was going to Toronto but it was pretty obvious.

The first two points I put up there were for silliness sake, and yeah - I shot them down with the same logic you used.

In a perfect world with foresight, maybe we move our captain, best player, fan favorite etc and get something back - but I don't think anyone would have been happy with Lou if he did *at that time*.

They would have killed him for NOT trying to sign him at the end of the season - and we wouldn't have gone where we did...

Edit: for the record, I think the Vanek thing is apples and oranges. The Sabres are in complete rebuild - and they got an FA back they may not keep. Arguably Regeir should have moved him the year before when he had more value.

GhostofKenKlee

I would respect Murray more if he had move core players so that DATW argument that Lou is bad could be firmer than the examples he gave. Say he traded Marleau and Thornton and still made the playoffs or in contention.

The thing is, say you move a Clarkson for a second and made the playoffs and needed a player like Clarkson to go a few rounds?

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Is it time for some posters to get their walking papers?

Let's see what the panel says

3879_-_animated_gif_chuck_norris_dodgeball_thumbs_up.gif

Seriously how many times can the same thing be discussed? If arguments keep bringing up the same rehashed points over and over, chances are there isn't much evidence to support claims - and what does that tell you about the topic?

Hypernova

Apr 20, 2007
Boston, MA
www.worldwrasslinpodcast.com
Trading any of those players wouldn't have made sense at the time. What Lou could have done was start contract talks with Parise/Clarkson at any point earlier than June 25th. This is what kills us every off-season. Once you already wait until late June, the players have no problem waiting another few days to check out their options and up their value.

theking72

Confucius Ackbar
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
NJ

Seriously how many times can the same thing be discussed? If arguments keep bringing up the same rehashed points over and over, chances are there isn't much evidence to support claims - and what does that tell you about the topic?

Agreed. Reading this thread is like this lately:

Lou is not getting any walking papers. He's not perfect and he's been victimized a bit by some bad luck. I trust Lou to right the ship.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
So now the fired gm of a team owning the worst record is smarter than lou because he's asset managed Vanek. the lunacy caroseul goes round and round.

that's a stretch if I've ever read one. So, everyone and their mother knew Clarkson was bolting, why would give up an asset for him? I love how datw comes up with these theories or even as if it's all gospel.

Wilson had and has replacement players for said traded assets. how come lou is given credit for trading spare parts, but yet Wilson is hailed as a genius for it? around the lunacy ride continues.

Buffalo will be in much better shape than the devils in 5 years for (1) acknowledging their situation and (2) preparing accordingly. Remember that memorable Kenny Rogers song "The Gambler"? Know when to hold em...know when to fold em... A certain prominent member of this organization is incapable of reading the tea leaves with an archaic organizational philosophy to match. You either adapt to the state of the league or die. Lou isn't too keen on the adaptation part.

JerryGigantic

Old Skool
Jul 17, 2006
New York
Buffalo will be in much better shape than the devils in 5 years for (1) acknowledging their situation and (2) preparing accordingly. Remember that memorable Kenny Rogers song "The Gambler"? Know when to hold em...know when to fold em... A certain prominent member of this organization is incapable of reading the tea leaves with an archaic organizational philosophy to match. You either adapt to the state of the league or die. Lou isn't too keen on the adaptation part.

Alrighty then. I you believe that, buy a Miller jersey, move to Buffalo and enjoy the hot wings and ennui. That team is joke.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

What leads you to believe this, exactly?

The fact that Moulson will likely walk at the end of the season?

The fact that they stole Tallinder from us?

What? :sarcasm:

GhostofKenKlee

Buffalo will be in much better shape than the devils in 5 years for acknowledging their situation. Remember that memorable Kenny Rogers song "The Gambler"? Know when to hold em...know when to fold em... A certain prominent member of this organization is incapable of reading the tea leaves with an archaic organizational philosophy to match. You either adapt to the state of the league or die. Lou isn't too keen on the adaptation part.

Ok, terrific. Will they be that much better based on what trading Vanek, you give the unknown way too much credit.

While we are at, you know the powerball number for say two weeks out?

Kenny Rogers sang? I thought he was a restauranteur.

Archaic organizational philosophy? someone get him some sigma courses.

The state of the league is win or die and he seems to be doing well overall. Don't know what league you are following. Than again, you did somehow prop up St. Louis as some type of blueprint to follow.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
What leads you to believe this, exactly?
The fact that Moulson will likely walk at the end of the season?

The fact that they stole Tallinder from us?

What? :sarcasm:

Picks my friend. More lottery tickets to go with the talent that they have already compiled. Meanwhile, the devils have the worst forward prospect pool in the NHL with the increasing chance of surrendering a high first rounder in 2014.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL

Just off the top of my head, I can think of at least 5 posters on the site who need the pink slip. Just repeating themselves and complaining ALL the time and then get offended when someone calls them out on there bullcrap or can't offer a coherent response in return because writing something thats actually positive about this team, doesn't fit there narrative.

Last edited:

GhostofKenKlee

A team two years removed from a cup run and in contention in a relatively weak conference should read the tea leaves of things to come (worst case scenarios) to fully play out and not worry about the now because the gm is archaic.

Archaic Gm's drafts and signs players and when they leave he sucks because they left, but isn't acknowledged for being good for signing/drafting them to begin with. Grab your ring as your horsey goes around.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Picks my friend. More lottery tickets to go with the talent that they have already compiled. Meanwhile, the devils have the worst forward prospect pool in the NHL with the increasing chance of surrendering a high first rounder in 2014.

But maybe the best young defensive core in the game. Gotta re-sign schneids though.

GhostofKenKlee

Yet, they have one of the most impressive prospect pools on defense. They just called Boucher and have Matteau on forward who just got the call from their country.

But, but heaven forbid they do make the playoffs and go on another "fluke" run and make some noise. Wouldn't fit the narrative or the experience of just letting a season play out. Let's yearns for some lottery tickets of maybes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad