Is it possible for a team to revolutionize the game currently?

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
As our Russian friends always call: Šajbu! Šajbu! Šajbu!

If you have 50 shots per game every game, then there is big possibility you will score many goals. Dont focus to D. Give also a goalie curved stick, so he can make beautiful paces.
Take the stick away, there is no need for the goalie to have it. Also, I think the Dan Blackburn style of two blockers instead of a glove would be interesting. Sorry, this had nothing to do with the thread.

I think a revolutionary idea would be a team where the forwards often try to score the behind the goal lacrosse goal. It would force the defense and goalie to completely change the way they play. Make it a part of team training and encourage players to do it. I think it is an underrated technique and easier than it looks, just frowned upon for some reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: Catch22

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Of course it can be. Not like it’s going to be predicted here, but the 3 game in basketball is a good comparison.

Maybe someone sets up a variation in the office and owns it like Gretzky or a new type of dump and chase gets developed or who knows.

My guess is it would be defensive but who knows.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Take the stick away, there is no need for the goalie to have it. Also, I think the Dan Blackburn style of two blockers instead of a glove would be interesting. Sorry, this had nothing to do with the thread.

I think a revolutionary idea would be a team where the forwards often try to score the behind the goal lacrosse goal. It would force the defense and goalie to completely change the way they play. Make it a part of team training and encourage players to do it. I think it is an underrated technique and easier than it looks, just frowned upon for some reason.

:loony:

What is more crazy stuff:

1. Give also a goalie curved stick

2. .... the forwards often try to score the behind the goal lacrosse goal. Make it a part of team training and encourage players to do it.

Please, make a voting run.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The whole concussion thing is sort of revolutionizing the league. Same with the NFL. If you increasingly take the physical play out of these games, be it dirty or clean, it changes things quite a bit.

In terms of a specific team or coach doing it, I like the 4F/1D idea. That would almost have to get consistent throughout a roster though, not just a shift here or there. You'd have to start dressing just 4 D per game to make it worth going with 4 forwards per shift. Maybe 5, if you played 1 of them by himself all the time, and the other 4 were traditional pairs. Or go 1D, 1D, and then one traditional pair.

Jun 27, 2005
There are a few possibilities.

Someone could try something revolutionary with the cap. Something like two first lines and two fourth lines with most of the cap (and ice time) focused at the top. Imagine the current Leafs with less cap assigned to the third and fourth lines.

Using AI or a team of humans to produce a proprietary true advanced stats system.

Reactions: MadLuke

LABound

RFA
Sep 2, 2018
Maybe develop guys to be able to play forward and defence positions at will teach d prospects forward positioning face offs etc.....I know it would be something I would do it could be very valuable .

Lots of practical uses if you think about it as well .

LABound

RFA
Sep 2, 2018

It's a great surprise weapon got away with a few times almost always works .

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Of course it's possible. With the amount of people paid to think and breathe hockey, it's totally possible that someone could come up with a plan that works better on-ice and revolutionises the game. I can't think of what it might be, obvioulsy. I'm as much a toilet poster as @Paris in Flames is.

But maybe some coach thinks up a way to run a PP differently, and a team starts converting near %50 instead of of the best teams now who hit about %25.

Maybe a team comes up with a new type of neutral zone trap. A new left-wing-lock. Maybe it's a new way to break into the zone. Maybe it's a crazy strategy to pull the goalie for an O-zone start nearing the end of any period.

I'm not saying it will happen. I'm not saying it's likely to happem. In fact, it's pretty likely it won't happen. But it absolutely could happen.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY

Are you talking about carrying the puck off the ice on the end of their stick and tucking the whole stick blade in there? Wouldn't that most likely lead to rampant high-sticking calls and goalies getting repeatedly stabbed in the head?

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
The revolutionary teams are the ones that push the rules and ruin the sport like the Pat Riley Knicks, trapping Devils, 2004 pass interfering Patriots. My hypothetical would be a team that goes into a shell with like 4-5 skaters below the slot for the last 6 minutes and just ruin games.

Mergatroidskittle

Dec 26, 2015
Uhh, yeah they did.

I’d say it was Curry more so than anything though
Wasn’t just steph, many teams have had a great shooter, what separates them was having others who were great at shooting like Klay, Barnes, and other 3 shooting big men. They stress ball movement and getting the right shot, which helped give their great shooters open shots

The Garden

Oct 6, 2018
Have a player skate around the neutral zone near the other teams's blueline. The other team will probably have one of their players defend your player, which is fine because it's still 4 vs. 4 and they'll lose some offensive ability.

Then design plays around getting the puck to that player. You could have a ton of extra breakaways every game, and those are the best scoring chances in hockey. Once other teams figure out how to defend this, then be more subtle about it by having one of your players suddenly start skating toward the other team's zone while they're in their own zone, and making long passes to them for breakaways. The other team will always have to worry about this and it will throw off their offensive game.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
Playmaking goalies is my guess. In soccer goalkeepers are nowadays like liberos and can play the ball like any other player.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I'd argue we're kind of seeing it happen now, the top forwards in the game are abusing net-front tips more and more the past few years. I can see teams switch off from the cycle to more of a funnel set-up where the entire goal is to throw as many pucks towards Crosby/Matthews/Toews types in front of the net or in the slot and let them tip it at a 30+% shooting percentage. If the defense over-focuses on them, you have both wings open with a 3-4 man screen in front to pick corners.

talitintti

Oct 13, 2018
The game is in a constant state of evolution as the teams are in an arms race against each other. The changes might be difficult to see year to year, but you watch the game 10 or 20 years ago and it looks completely different.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
I don't know about "revolutionize" as that's a bit of a loaded term which people will always be able to deny, however I think we've learned something from the past decade:

1.Top tier goaltending is not enough to win and it is NEVER worth it to overspend on it, a 1-3 goalie will not be the difference to get you to a cup if the replacement is a 10-15 goalie WHILE contrasting this with a 1-3 d-man/center v a 10-15 d-man or center. Lundqvist proved this and Price took this to the next level. LESSON TO BE LEARNED: Don't overpay goalies, keep it in the 6-8 mill and you're fine, but NO goalie is worth 10+ million.

2.Excellent d isn't really the answer either if it comes at the cost of offense, we've seen what Nashville can do and to a lesser extent Minnesota. It seems that honestly the best defense might just be offensive zone control and pressure on the other team.

3.Extreme skewing to offense can win (Pittsburgh) despite having mediocre D maybe not even being playoff capable by itself with a random group of forwards.

Toronto should be an excellent case study as I think their D is comparable to Pittsburgh's (maybe slightly worse), but IMO their offense can be even better when Willie comes back, so we'll see what they can do.

I think ultimately the lesson is you NEED a GOOD (not great) goalie, you NEED at least a 1D (not top 10 though), but you ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE offense that can roll and multiple line offense as well as we've seen Kessel and Malkin carry Crosby to the cup because teams key in on him and although they don't "shut him down," they do limit him.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
We're starting to see more and more teams pulling goalies a lot earlier. Think it was the Avs who did it crazily a few years back with 5+ mins left on the clock and had some moderate success with it.

I'd like to see a team try 4-5 forwards 5v5 just for ****s and giggles.

Not as crazy as you think. There was an entire paper written on it by economists who had figured out the math behind it. Apparently just after 6 minutes is when you should first pull the goalie if down a goal to maximize chances. Get scored on? Pull the goalie. From a math standpoint it makes sense. It doesn't matter how much you lose by - but in reality it feels a lot better to lose by 1 than by 3 or 4.

It's an interesting read. You can find it here: Cliff Asness - Perhaps The Most Important Essay I Will Ever Co-Author

Many economists have adopted the "Always pull the goalie" philosophy to a lot more than just hockey too. In general it's a fantastic philosophy to adopt to many facets of life. Go hard or go home!

Reactions: Atrusai

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I said it before the season started: The Leafs should be the team to pioneer the first ever 5-forward PP.

Then Rielly caught fire and now it looks stupid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad