GDT: is it nites or ka-nites

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Correct, but if you look, the way Noesen was crouched over, it was very close to being above his shoulder as well, which would be the relevant marker in that case. So if he did touch it, it could still be challenged and it would’ve been close.
Is it the shoulders at the time you hit it or the shoulders if you were standing? Seems odd that they could call you for playing the puck with a high stick if you were on your knees and played a puck at someone’s stomach height.

Edit: Hockey Canada and USA Hockey appear to reference “above the normal height of the shoulders” wouldn’t think the NHL is much, if at all, different.

Would make it a much tougher challenge to win I’d imagine as well.

Last edited:

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
You kid, but looking at the ice time leaders, until you get to Makar at #9, all of the top guys are either on shallow or injury-ravaged bluelines. In no universe should a guy like Brock Faber be getting that much ice time in his first season, no matter how impressive he's been.

Great point....our guys are far down in the per game minute list and both Burns and Slavin are playing less than LY. Should help come playoff time (Florida is taking the same approach btw).

btw: LY, Burns played 25:59 per game in the playoffs.

1708276273248.png

2022-23
1708276426582.png

MisterDobz

Tryin to Reason with Hurricane Season
Apr 13, 2022
Chicago, Florida
Man, I remember someone saying Jarvy was going to be just a 40 point forward earlier this year. Yikes.
Ok, I’ll take the hit. But what I said was Jarvis WAS a 40 point/yr player, based on his previous 2 years of scoring 39 and 40 points. That was playing exclusively with the best player on the team and getting pp1 time. TiVo was a 75 point scorer playing in the same position, and Jarvis’ promotion made TiVo an orphan playing every other line and hurting his production. I did feel that there was no indication Jarvis would score more, especially if he was moved away from Aho and the net/net for the team was a negative, hurting both Aho and TiVo to get Jarvis his 40 points.

Fast forward to now, Jarvis moved down to the Staal line and, as I predicted, his production has dropped to nothing. Oh, wait…. Maybe not. Ok, ok, not only has his production gone up, but it seems like Martinook likes having Jarvis nearby, and his production has also gone up. It’s hard to argue with facts.

So I will admit that maybe my assessment of the little guy was lacking a bit in the accuracy department. He’s a likeable little guy, so I’m glad I seem to have been wrong, I hope time continues to prove me wrong.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Is it the shoulders at the time you hit it or the shoulders if you were standing? Seems odd that they could call you for playing the puck with a high stick if you were on your knees and played a puck at someone’s stomach height.

Edit: Hockey Canada and USA Hockey appear to reference “above the normal height of the shoulders” wouldn’t think the NHL is much, if at all, different.

Would make it a much tougher challenge to win I’d imagine as well.

If that’s the case, then case closed. I think I tried to correct @Tryamw on that last night and it seems I’m wrong. 100% the contact, if it was contacted at all, would’ve been below “the normal height of the shoulders”. Good goal either way.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Late to the party here but wouldn’t hitting the puck above the crossbar be irrelevant here because he didn’t deflect it into the net. He knocks it down and then taps it in.
It's irrelevant for the league review. For a coaches' challenge, any missed stoppage can be challenged. If he touched the puck above the shoulders (and it was WELL above his shoulders when he may or may not have touched it, he was bent over pretty far), then if any Cane touched it before a Knight the play should have been blown dead, so when he touched it to whack it in, it would have stopped play.

If the "normal height of the shoulders" thing is correct for the NHL rules, then that's the only saving grace here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad