Is it ever OK to trade a 1st overall pick anymore?

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
It's a good idea if the return is of more value.

Not the answer you were looking for?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I don't think any reasonable person would call him 1st overall worthy.

He's looking better and better on the wing. At a center I think he's a 2/3 tweener. But his giveaway take away ratio, his playmaking skills and his board work is making him look better and better on the wing. He still needs to shoot more often, but he seems to be shooting at the right time more often. There was a time when it looked like he'd rather cut off a limb before shooting the puck.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
It's a good idea if the return is of more value.

Not the answer you were looking for?

No. It's just vague.
Value is in the eye of the beholder.
If a ton of this year's potential UFAs haven't resigned before the draft then I see a lot of value in such a trade for the Oilers if the previously met stipulations are met.
And I see a ton of value assuming we aren't throwing $12M at players most people think to be worth 8M.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Yes, you are crazy. Oilers MGMT will just spend the additional 16 million on more crappy players because they're morons. Lowe/MacT/Chia are a cancerous tumor sucking the life from the Oilers and they need to go.

Reactions: Bretzky

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I think its okay to trade the first overall depending on the situation and the return . Wouldn't do it to dump contracts tho

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario

Not every year is created equal. You don't get a Connor McDavid every year. RNH only had 2 other players to compete with in his draft year, Landeskog and Larsson. He was 1OA talent at the draft but his draft year was also not very good.

To answer OP's question the answer is you never trade the 1OA. Especially to dump contracts. 1OA can be/ should be franchise altering (like Hughes). So yeah you may be stuck in bad cap situations when you have the 1OA pick but you also have 3 ELC years to get that shit figured out. Trading a top end talent is not the way to get ahead. Unless that pick Yak.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Really, trading down to get someone like Scheifele or Couturier wouldn't have been an "ok" move? Heck even Hamilton would have been a more impactful player for the Oilers than RNH.

The talk was about using a pick to get rid of bad contracts, not trade down and get a different player, but that only ever comes with that perfect 20/20 hindsight.

RNH is still the best all around player taken in the top 5.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

Look at the next 4 picks and tell me who is more worthy? The pick was fine. It was a weak draft at the top end . You keep changing your narrative to bash him and you keep being wrong. Move on

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
The talk was about using a pick to get rid of bad contracts, not trade down and get a different player, but that only ever comes with that perfect 20/20 hindsight.

RNH is still the best all around player taken in the top 5.

WHAT? I'd take Landeskog or Huberdeau over RNH easily.

Also how weird is it that the Oilers have four of the top twenty picks from that draft on their team but none of the really good ones?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Depends on the draft that year and what you'd move the 1OA for. A draft where you can get Hughes or Kakko would be a particularly dicey year to try this, and I wouldn't recommend ever doing it to offload bad deals. In a year with a questionable start to the first round I think a team could get away with trying to move the 1OA for a top young player if they could get another team to bite.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
WHAT? I'd take Landeskog or Huberdeau over RNH easily.

Also how weird is it that the Oilers have four of the top twenty picks from that draft on their team but none of the really good ones?

Yup. Klef, RNH and Larsson all suck. Yup, they drafted Strome and Larsson. Give your head a shake.

Bonzo111

Leafs Fan
Oct 31, 2017
Canaderp
Look at the next 4 picks and tell me who is more worthy? The pick was fine. It was a weak draft at the top end . You keep changing your narrative to bash him and you keep being wrong. Move on
few guys are better than RNH but thats not the point. The point is you can trade the 1st overall, especially if its going to turn out to be an RND calibre player. who's never cracked 60 points in the NHL.

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
There are certainly situations I can imagine where trading down up to a couple spots could be beneficial, but in general for the cap era cheap top end talent is pretty much the most valuable thing you can hope for. So I would be very skeptical of any suggestion of trading that for veterans or offloading bad contracts etc

Reactions: mouser

Bonzo111

Leafs Fan
Oct 31, 2017
Canaderp
Not every year is created equal. You don't get a Connor McDavid every year. RNH only had 2 other players to compete with in his draft year, Landeskog and Larsson. He was 1OA talent at the draft but his draft year was also not very good.
I know, that was my entire point.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
few guys are better than RNH but thats not the point. The point is you can trade the 1st overall, especially if its going to turn out to be an RND calibre player. who's never cracked 60 points in the NHL.

That's a bit of an oversight. He's missed time in quite a few seasons where his P/GP would be over 60. It's like saying Matthews has never hit 70 points. He hasn't, but clearly he is much better than a 70 point player.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It's kinda funny you start a thread off by complaining of mismanagement and then continue on suggesting a deal that is the exact definition of mismanagement.

When you move players who are contributing, they need to be replaced. And considering the Oilers have no NHL ready talent prepared to step in, they'll have to dig into the UFA market to fill those holes. Isn't that where those three contracts came from? Hmmm.

Cap space is only valuable when it's being used.

Reactions: McDreamy and McNuge

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
It’s always been okay to trade the 1st overall, in terms of whether it could legitimately improve your team.

Particularly if that most likely 1st choice is super hyped.

I think it should depend on the team with the pic, and how far along with their rebuild they are.

Bonzo111

Leafs Fan
Oct 31, 2017
Canaderp
That's a bit of an oversight. He's missed time in quite a few seasons where his P/GP would be over 60. It's like saying Matthews has never hit 70 points. He hasn't, but clearly he is much better than a 70 point player.
fair enough, I like the guy, just not a 1st overall type dude is all.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I think it would be good for Edmonton to have some cap space available given the talent that could make it to UFA this year, but this isn't the way to do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad