Is it ever OK to trade a 1st overall pick anymore?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
few guys are better than RNH but thats not the point. The point is you can trade the 1st overall, especially if its going to turn out to be an RND calibre player. who's never cracked 60 points in the NHL.

Better to use a 1st overall on a player whos never cracked 70 points in the NHL right? Moving on.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
You’re talking about cap hell but you’re willing to give away three years of an entry level difference making player?

Possibly one of the worst ideas I’ve ever heard. You ride Hughes’ entry level until the Russell, Lucic, Sekera deals expire. If you’re stuck there are better ways than trading the only thing going right for you.

Sekera - Let deal expire while you have ELC Hughes

Russell - Trade in final year @ 50% retained if you need the space

Lucic- Buy out, or trade wth 2 years left @ 50% for way less than a 1st overall pick

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Loosing McDavid prime is a giant cost, depending on free agent you could get and is it a special year for the first overall or a bad year, that a maybe.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
fair enough, I like the guy, just not a 1st overall type dude is all.
The Oilers learned the hard way.

Not every 1st overall pick is McDavid, Matthews or McKinnon.

There's busts like Yakupov, Daigle, Stefan.

There's underwhelming players like Diepietro, E.Johnson, C.Phillips.

RNH is probably a middle pack 1st overall with Ed Jovanovski, Rick Nash, Brian Berard, Roman Hamrlik, and Joe Murphy.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Let's say Edmonton misses the playoffs and wins the lottery.

Doesn't seem very likely...

I mean it's still statistically unlikely for a single team to win the lottery.

*looks at draft winners from 2010-2015*

Never mind.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Doesn't seem very likely...

I mean it's still statistically unlikely for a single team to win the lottery.

*looks at draft winners from 2010-2015*

Never mind.

LOL Your handle is perfect for this post.
But it's valid.
There are situations in which Edmonton could become statistically likely to win the lottery.
In fear of cursing the team, I'd rather not list them off.
Suffusive to say, there are more than one ways to skin a cat.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Hope you become the GM of a rival team. Seriously, that proposal is horrible. There are ways to get rid of bad assets. Trading away a 1st overall is not one of them.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Toronto would trade the 1st overall + Horton + Marleau + Brown + Sparks for Seth Jones + Sergei Bobrovski(resigned). Basically you're talking about a contending team that misses the playoffs due to injuries that wins the lottery and that could use the 1st overall to bolster their team in a mega-trade. Doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I was thinking Russel + Lucic + Sekera + 1st overall for a 2nd rounder.
The only replies I got to this notion today were that I'm either insane or suffering from mental ******ation.
Is it crazy?
So I ask again, am I crazy?
If there were a team with a GM willing to do Lucic+Sekera+Russell+1st overall for a second rounder, would it be downright stupid or a smart move and also IS THERE ANY SITUATION in which it's sensible to trade a 1st overall pick in this age of hockey?

No your not crazy.
There is a time and place to trade a 1st overall pick.

Lets say Ottawa pick (that Colorado has) goes #1.
If Colorado decides they need D help more than they need Hughes, there are plenty of guys out there that they could trade for as part of a package.
Lets say a team like Tampa is in a position where Kucherov is not able to be resigned because he has another 100 pt season, and they are comforatable loosing Sergachev to save cap.
Id say Kucherov (extended) + Sergachev is worth similar to a 1st overal pick, even with monetary cap hit pieces included in the value.
Something I think fans do allot, is assume draft picks/prospects are guarantees.
Just looking at 1st overal picks, how many in the last decade have become what people thought? Id say the completely bust like 5% of the time (Yakupov) and some are good but not fantastic players for one reason or another (RNH, E. Johnson, Dipietro, Stefan). Over the last 20 years id count 5 who are disappointing for where they were drafted.

I think fans recently have started to assume every year has a Matthews, McDavid, MacKinnon, Crosby at the top.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Toronto would trade the 1st overall + Horton + Marleau + Brown + Sparks for Seth Jones + Sergei Bobrovski(resigned). Basically you're talking about a contending team that misses the playoffs due to injuries that wins the lottery and that could use the 1st overall to bolster their team in a mega-trade. Doesn't happen often, but it does happen.
Toronto isn't overly intetested in trading Horton. Not for the price it would cost anyways.

Toronto also isn't overly interested in upgrading Andersen, or trading Sparks plus lots of value to get a Bobrovsky level guy to play with Andersen at a tandem cap hit of over $13M. Not for what it would cost.

Keep Horton, keep Andersen and Sparks / cheap backup, don't trade Hughes Marleau Brown to get Seth Jones. I'm confident Dubas would feel the same.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Drafting 1st overall for a 1.2% chance of winning the cup 5 years from now > winning the cup

Yep.
If you're a fan of a team that's won as many lotteries and picked up as many early 1sts as Edmonton it doesn't have the same amount of impact.
Schremp
Cogliano
Nilson
Gagner
Plante
Eberle
Hall
Hopkins
Klefbom
Puljujarvi
Yakupov
Nurse
Draisatl
McDavid
Yamamoto
Bouchard

I'm sure I missed a 1st rounder or two in there and I bet I messed up the order as well. Some of these guys lived up to the hype, but most of them didn't even come close. Always just 1 1st overall pick away from being a few years away from winning a cup. We've heard it hundreds, of not thousands of times already in Edmonton.

I think fans recently have started to assume every year has a Matthews, McDavid, MacKinnon, Crosby at the top.

Great point.
While I do not yet have a reason to believe it, Hughes could very well turn out to be the next Patrick Stephan or Nail Yakupov. At the same time it happens so seldom that I think it's a fair bet to assume that you're getting a solid player. With the advancement of the American College hockey system, I do expect to see much deeper top 10's, though.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
He's a 6'0 non injury prone 2-way 1st line player. Come back when you know what you're talking about.
The last three seasons the first overall has been out produced by the 30th overall. Come on mate, he's a good player but he's not the best player in that draft. Not even close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->