Is it about time to make a trade or 2

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
It's funny how Weber signing an offer sheet is viewed as just business but taking him to arbitration to prevent an offer sheet when Weber wasn't negotiating for a contract length the team was willing to do is "forcing" him.
Taking someone to arbitration does is no way help you negotiate the length of a contract. And yes, it was the team's decision, so he was made to/forced/whatever synonym you want to use for it.

It was a fear based move to keep people for offering sheeting him. There's a reason hardly anyone is taken to arbitration by their team. It's typically bad player relations.

I certainly don't view Weber signing a hard-to-match offer sheet as "just business".

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Taking someone to arbitration does is no way help you negotiate the length of a contract. And yes, it was the team's decision, so he was made to/forced/whatever synonym you want to use for it.

It was a fear based move to keep people for offering sheeting him. There's a reason hardly anyone is taken to arbitration by their team. It's typically bad player relations.

I certainly don't view Weber signing a hard-to-match offer sheet as "just business".

Actually, it does when the player is trying to get a contact that takes him to UFA status and arbitration rules make that impossible while simultaneously eliminating any chance of an offer sheet.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Actually, it does when the player is trying to get a contact that takes him to UFA status and arbitration rules make that impossible while simultaneously eliminating any chance of an offer sheet.
No it's not. You come out of arbitration with a 1 year deal. I don't know how that is supposed to help the team avoid UFA status with Weber.

Honestly, it would have been better if Weber was offer sheeted that year. It likely wouldn't have been as big of an offer, Poile wouldn't look like a wuss, and you don't have the backlash of taking your star player to arbitration.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
No it's not. You come out of arbitration with a 1 year deal. I don't know how that is supposed to help the team avoid UFA status with Weber.

Honestly, it would have been better if Weber was offer sheeted that year. It likely wouldn't have been as big of an offer, Poile wouldn't look like a wuss, and you don't have the backlash of taking your star player to arbitration.

Perhaps you should refer to the CBA before again incorrectly claiming what it says.

The party against whom a salary arbitration election was filed (i.e., the Club in Player-elected salary arbitration and the Player in Club-elected salary arbitration) shall elect in its brief whether the salary arbitration award shall be for a one or two-year SPC.
CBA, pg 62.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
There is no 2 year option if a player is eligible to be UFA. Yes, we could've accepted a 2 year deal with Weber and and he would have been UFA eligible at the time he was always set to be UFA.

Arbitration does not delay UFA status, bottom line.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
There is no 2 year option if a player is eligible to be UFA. Yes, we could've accepted a 2 year deal with Weber and and he would have been UFA eligible at the time he was always set to be UFA.

Arbitration does not delay UFA status, bottom line.

Nobody said a damned thing about arbitration delaying when a player reaches the age and/or experience criteria for UFA status. In the Weber case, it resulted in a one year contract because Weber couldn't take the risk of asking for a two year hearing giving him a lesser contract than he hoped for. One year was the least risky if the arbitrator were to side closer to the team's number and eliminated the chance of the team filing a second time meaning he could go the offer sheet route the following summer and let the open market set his price. Given the low percentage of arbitration filings that result in arbitration hearings, using the tool to prevent an offer sheet and try to negotiate was a risky move but one the team felt was worth taking.

I eagerly await your next misattribution of comments, falsely claiming what a document states, or misconstruing comments so you can rant against things that were never said.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
when the player is trying to get a contact that takes him to UFA status and arbitration rules make that impossible.
I certainly interpret that as arbitration somehow prevents him from hitting UFA or delays it. It doesn't. If you meant something different, better word it better next time.

You also said the Preds took him to arbitration because they didn't like the contract length Weber wanted-- how does arbitration help that?

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
I certainly interpret that as arbitration somehow prevents him from hitting UFA or delays it. It doesn't. If you meant something different, better word it better next time.

You also said the Preds took him to arbitration because they didn't like the contract length Weber wanted-- how does arbitration help that?

Reading is fundamental ... now try it with the explanation I've already detailed. If you need clarification, ask politely. If you want to continue to willfully misquote, misattribute, and misunderstand ... well, I cannot help you with that.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
If you want to continue to willfully misquotet.
You were quoted directly.

In you post recent post, you are somehow trying to justify Weber arbitration using unicorn logic. No everyone knows unicorn so expect confusion.

Taking Weber to arbitration was a fear based moved that we gained nothing from, and it doesn't send a good message to any player when you take your captain to arbitration. That was the point. Move on.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
You were quoted directly.

In you post recent post, you are somehow trying to justify Weber arbitration using unicorn logic. No everyone knows unicorn so expect confusion.

Taking Weber to arbitration was a fear based moved that we gained nothing from, and it doesn't send a good message to any player when you take your captain to arbitration. That was the point. Move on.

Actually you LIED about what the CBA states, it wasn't a misquote. Only a couple weeks ago you misattributed a quote even when your mistake was repeatedly pointed out. Then tonight you deliberately misinterpret then call it "unicorn logic." You can take your "move on" and shove it.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Actually you LIED about what the CBA states, it wasn't a misquote. Only a couple weeks ago you misattributed a quote even when your mistake was repeatedly pointed out. Then tonight you deliberately misinterpret then call it "unicorn logic." You can take your "move on" and shove it.
Quit trying to start fights. That's what you do from the beginning. You didn't like the words "forced him arbitration" and you get all bent out of shape and try to start something. Get a life.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Quit trying to start fights. That's what you do from the beginning. You didn't like the words "forced him arbitration" and you get all bent out of shape and try to start something. Get a life.

"Forced him arbitration" ... you cannot even correctly quote yourself. :shakehead

It's funny that you don't like when your exact words are quoted and misconstrued. The difference is when that happened, one of us was big enough to apologize ... the other was you.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Whatever helps you sleep at night. I said he was forced into arbitration. If you want to starts fights over trivial things.. Well It's the usual.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
For curiosity's sake, would you guys would be willing to part with Josi for Eberle to shore up your scoring?

FYI, I'm not a Preds or Oilers fan.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Whatever helps you sleep at night. I said he was forced into arbitration. If you want to starts fights over trivial things.. Well It's the usual.

The fact you consider it a "fight" when your numerous inaccuracies are pointed out is telling. A "fight" requires an opponent and you yet again proved you cannot even quote yourself without getting it wrong. :shakehead

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
For curiosity's sake, would you guys would be willing to part with Josi for Eberle to shore up your scoring?

Not really. The issue with that trade is the huge gap it causes on our back end with nothing to shore it up. Jones is playing like the rookie he is far too often and in reality the Preds have Weber, Josi, and Klein as top four defenders with any amount of experience. Our ES defense is performing even worse than our ES offense and has for a while now. They could be centerpieces of a deal with a lot of other parts but I don't see it happening as a one for one deal.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Not really. The issue with that trade is the huge gap it causes on our back end with nothing to shore it up. Jones is playing like the rookie he is far too often and in reality the Preds have Weber, Josi, and Klein as top four defenders with any amount of experience. Our ES defense is performing even worse than our ES offense and has for a while now. They could be centerpieces of a deal with a lot of other parts but I don't see it happening as a one for one deal.

What other pieces would you need to make it work?

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
What other pieces would you need to make it work?

Picks, defensive prospects ... something to mitigate the gaping hole it opens in our top pairing for this and probably next season. The Oilers have a lot of young talent up front. The issue in making a trade for any of it from a Preds perspective is that the pieces that best fit in Edmonton are tough for the Preds to lose. We're currently one of the worst even strength defensive teams in the league. Not as bad as the Oilers, but, well off the league midpoint at 26th in 5on5 goals allowed. Weber, Josi, Klein and a ton of kids on the Preds blueline with guys like Jones who still need to develop. Trading a guy like Ellis is easier for the Preds but unfortunately he won't bring back an Eberle caliber return.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I think a trade like Eberle for Josi is one we'll eventually have to make. If we can't draft a player who'll score on a more consistent basis than we need to trade our assets for one.

Yes, a top four of Weber-Jones, Klein-Ekholm/Bartley/Ellis will suck for a season or two, assuming we don't get another top 4 through ufa, but finally adding a 70 point forward who's also under 25 is worth it. We've proven time and again that we've been able to develop defenseman. This is a type of trade fans have been screaming for for years.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I think a trade like Eberle for Josi is one we'll eventually have to make. If we can't draft a player who'll score on a more consistent basis than we need to trade our assets for one.

Yes, a top four of Weber-Jones, Klein-Ekholm/Bartley/Ellis will suck for a season or two, assuming we don't get another top 4 through ufa, but finally adding a 70 point forward who's also under 25 is worth it. We've proven time and again that we've been able to develop defenseman. This is a type of trade fans have been screaming for for years.

I'd be surprised to see Eberle hit a consistent 70. He had that excellent 76 point year, but hasn't been on pace for more than 62-63 in his other three seasons. Still better than any forward on our roster, but just not sure what putting him in a real system and making him be THE guy does to his production. To me, he'd be better as a player that complements and feeds off an elite talent rather than the "go-to" guy.

Don't think I could justify giving up Josi for him, not unless we start seeing more flashes from an Ekholm, etc...

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
The fact you consider it a "fight" when your numerous inaccuracies are pointed out is telling. A "fight" requires an opponent and you yet again proved you cannot even quote yourself without getting it wrong. :shakehead
101Stink #1) 101 not liking the words "forced into arbitration". 101Stink #2) I left out a preposition of a quote via iphone. Seriously, you are pitching a fit because a preposition was left out. :shakehead

Keep telling yourself that you're such a big man. This is what the third time the past 2 weeks you've tried to tell everyone what a big man you are? :help: 101's a big man. OK, we get it. Move on to something that matters.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site

I would. Erberle has flaws I don't love, but we have to start scoring somewhere.

Main reason I do it is because I don't see Josi's concussion issues disappearing over the next 7 years. He's a huge risk for injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad