Is it about time to make a trade or 2

LOUISVILLE ICE CARDS

Washed up College Hockey Player OSU18 Uofl 2021
May 7, 2013
Louisville Kentucky
Well some people will say we aren't going to make the playoffs and some may say we still have a chance. We are only 8 points out of the 8th seed and we've been playing recently well. we are getting pucks on net and the players in there interviews are displaying passion that they want to win games. Now honestly we are not in the Reinhart hunt we are to good to get the chance at him. This is a very shallow draft.
In all seriousness we can make the playoffs. We may not be able to go very far but just to achieve getting there and Poile willing to spend money can help attract free agents.

Some trades to help us get to the playoffs would really help. Offense is the main key. If possible id say go for the Moulson rental. trading away Watson and another prospect and an mid level pick would be worth it. plus making the playoffs would give us a chance to resign him.

Another trade would be to Package legwand for a young worthy forward. Conacher would be a good example.

I know ill probably will get bashed for this post but as a die hard Preds fan I see potential in are team and this can kick start the rest of are season

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
To answer your question, if we want to make the playoffs and/or go far in the playoffs this year then yes it is time to make a trade or 2 with the current roster we have but if we are willing to give this team some more time to develop since we have alot of new additions and/or rookies in this new system and just accept this will be a rebuild year and we just might not make the playoffs, then we can hold off on the trade and see how this team develops the rest of this year or next and then go from there.

Personally I think we are in rebuild mode status at the moment and will either need to wait for this team to develop and give the rookies more time to grow and gain experience or just get rid of pieces to make the team stronger in areas but I do agree that there are still players on this team I would keep that have great potential that we can build a great team on/around. It just may take a couple years to get back to being a playoff contender team and/or getting the right pieces.

As far as who we should trade and/or what pieces we should get/pick up if we want to make a run for the playoffs this year, I'll leave that to the hockey experts since I'm just a new fan to the sport of hockey but we definitely will need to make the trades soon or the team needs to start winning games if we plan on going to the playoffs this year.

Last edited:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I don't think he has a ton of upside, but I'm not a big fan of trading Watson. He's really the only young true center we have at this point that's close to being NHL ready (I don't see Wilson or Smith moving off the wings), and three of our current four centers are 33 or older.

I take a stab at Moulson if they bite on a lesser prospect and a non-first round pick (which they probably won't), but otherwise pass. He might get us to the playoffs, but he doesn't make us a true contender, and he's not worth giving up quality assets for.

No problem trading Legwand if that's the course we need to take, but I'd rather see a better return than a Conacher type. Yet another guy with a 40-50 point upside at best, and severely undersized.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
So long as we aren't trading prospects or picks I don't see anything wrong with trading say legwand at the deadline. The preds just flat out don't have a of excess of anything right now except grinders which no one really wants. I don't see many trades in our future unfortunately. Hoping we just sort of ride out the season wherever it takes us, maybe try legwand at the deadline, and let the youngsters get some experience.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Without sacrificing the future I don't think the Preds have too much that anyone else would want. Best bet if the goal is to make the playoffs now would be to make a coaching change, that alone can sometimes create a short-term spark that could be just enough to get over the hump. It could just as easily backfire, but at this point, there's almost a desperation factor at play if we want to make the playoffs.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
I don't see a trade "to make the POs". We've gotten a lot out of our goalies, but realistically, can we expect that through the Jan schedule? Even so, it still means we're a .500 team at a time we need to make up some ground.

Now, trades for the future; Leggy and Cullen. Ellis. Spals or Goose and Hendricks or Nystrom at the deadline for whatever you can get. I'd be happy with any of that, assuming you get a decent return for Ellis.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
I don't see a trade "to make the POs". We've gotten a lot out of our goalies, but realistically, can we expect that through the Jan schedule? Even so, it still means we're a .500 team at a time we need to make up some ground.

Now, trades for the future; Leggy and Cullen. Ellis. Spals or Goose and Hendricks or Nystrom at the deadline for whatever you can get. I'd be happy with any of that, assuming you get a decent return for Ellis.

The Preds have a number of bottom-six players on expensive contracts that all else being equal probably wouldn't be tradeable, but deadline days are a special, special time of the year when common sense goes out the window and if I'm Poile I use it to erase some of the questionable signings I've made. Being out of the playoffs may be a blessing in disguise, it'll give Poile the freedom to sell off at a time when he needs to shed some bloated contracts, reset for the future with prospects/picks, and with a cap going up next year and money freed up, maybe finally get some scoring help...and save his job.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Perfect time to ship Legwand for some assets while his price is as high as it will ever be.
At best Lewgand will get a low first rd pick or middle tier prospect. If he continues not scoring, could be 2nd rd pick material.

Don't tell anyone, but he now has 5 points in the last 16 games (1 goal). Unfortunately, GMs look at that stuff.

redmosquito

Jun 9, 2013
NC/ME
At best Lewgand will get a low first rd pick or middle tier prospect. If he continues not scoring, could be 2nd rd pick material.

Don't tell anyone, but he now has 5 points in the last 16 games (1 goal). Unfortunately, GMs look at that stuff.

The traffic cone Doug Murray brought the Sharks two second round picks at the deadline last year. Legwand is a far more useful player than Murray, he's worth at least a first round pick, certainly not a second.

roseyc

Mar 23, 2010
Without sacrificing the future I don't think the Preds have too much that anyone else would want. Best bet if the goal is to make the playoffs now would be to make a coaching change, that alone can sometimes create a short-term spark that could be just enough to get over the hump. It could just as easily backfire, but at this point, there's almost a desperation factor at play if we want to make the playoffs.

I agree that a coaching change would make the most sense. While I would want to make wholesale changes with Poile/Trotz both gone. The owners wouldn't fire him now he's the GM of USA team for Olympics. So Let Housley take over until the end of the year. Not for the reason of specifically making the playoffs; it would be a bonus We have to find out why Wilson and Smith and Bourque our young players are such very inconsistant offensive players along with the rest of the team. Sure the defense could be better but that's not the problem. The offense has to take over and ease the defense's burden I think there's talent here and on offense. But we have yet since Trotz has been here to establish an offensive identity. He says the Predators way but that's style is mostly for less talented teams. Trotz's line combo through the years shows that it's fly by the seat of his pants thinking. All the years Trotz has been here his teams has so much trouble entering the attacking zone it looks as if they've never practiced it. I don't ever think that Trotz can ever outcoach the opposition in a playoff series. Small market can't play the FA roulette they have to draft well and pick up key FA. Poile has been smart by doing so. But his shopping while looking good at the time being didn't pan out. But try this without Trotz. His handling of Wilson has been confusing at best. He now has drained all the enthusiasm out him like he's done to other players and what he's doing to Weber. We need of shot of enthusiasm or a jolt. We have nothing to trade unless we do a rebuild and shop both Rinne and Weber.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
We got Gaustad for a first. Legwand can land at least that, if not more.

Time to unload a few of these albatross of contracts. Gaustad, Hendricks and Nystrom could all go as far as I'm concerned. Cullen hasn't been great but hasn't been bad either. On the fence about him but if the offer is good enough, bye bye. I'd say Stalberg could be dealt as well. He's fast, doesn't finish, doesn't play the body defensively, basically useless IMNSHO.

I would think Cullen could get at least 2 2nd's if not a first. The wagon wheel line could garner a 2nd, 3rd and possibly 4th as well. Stalberg could get us a 2nd as well. I'd say bye bye to them all, even Legwand if we got a 1st and maybe a 3rd or 4th. Time to move on, stock up on picks and use them to move up in this years or next years draft.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
a coaching change implies that the player we have are good enough they just aren't playing the way they should due to the coach.

Is there anyone here who really thinks that even Scotty Bowman could turn this bunch into a playoff contender?

A new coach won't make Legwand, Fisher and Cullen not be old, or make Forsberg and Jones not be young. Or turn Hornqvist into a sniper. About the only players who might benefit from a new coach are Wilson and Smith, and thats only maybe.

If we change coaches, then we need a wholesale change in personnel to get players the new coach can implement his system with.

I think our best bet is move some spare parts who aren't part of the long term plan (Spaling, Bourque, Cullen if someone will take him, Legwand at the deadline) and bring up Beck, Watson, Sissons (plus Forsber) and see what the young guys have got. Then this summer figure out where to go with coaching, Poile, and the rest of the forward corps.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
We got Gaustad for a first. Legwand can land at least that, if not more.

Time to unload a few of these albatross of contracts. Gaustad, Hendricks and Nystrom could all go as far as I'm concerned. .
People keep using Gaustad a comparable for someone who gets a first. You are forgetting that was one of the most laughable rentals in recent history.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
People keep using Gaustad a comparable for someone who gets a first. You are forgetting that was one of the most laughable rentals in recent history.

the market is what it is. if two desperate teams start bidding who knows what will happen?

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
Okay, I'll make the unpopular statement:

Trading Legwand would be a mistake. It would send a clear signal that we would never, ever get to undo: we don't care about loyalty. Good luck in ever getting any higher-tier free agent to even sniff Nashville after that - and watch as RFA's sign minimum contracts and then pull a Suter as soon as they hit UFA level.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013

Trading Legwand would be a mistake. It would send a clear signal that we would never, ever get to undo: we don't care about loyalty. Good luck in ever getting any higher-tier free agent to even sniff Nashville after that - and watch as RFA's sign minimum contracts and then pull a Suter as soon as they hit UFA level.

Um, why exactly would it show that? We've been plenty loyal to Legwand for the entirety of his career until this point, but if you can get a good teurn for him, why wouldn't you improve the team. I don't think Nashville's ability to attract star FA's can get any worse than it already is.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

That's just horse dung jw. Leggy got a really good deal last time around and hasn't really lived up to it. He shouldn't expect another sweet deal at this point in his career.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site

If FA damage has been done, it's already happened. Arnott was one of the only "name" free agents to sign here, and we pushed him out the door and forced him to waive his NTC. Dumont, one of the only others, we bought out after stripping his ice time. Our star player Weber, we forced into arbitration.

Whether or not we offer Legwand a retirement package is of little impact. People act like we should give him treatment like Lidstrom, Lemieiux, Sakic or someone. I can't think of lesser impact player than Legwand who stayed with his original team for a full career. It shouldn't be a big deal.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
If FA damage has been done, it's already happened. Arnott was one of the only "name" free agents to sign here, and we pushed him out the door and forced him to waive his NTC. Dumont, one of the only others, we bought out after stripping his ice time. Our star player Weber, we forced into arbitration.

Whether or not we offer Legwand a retirement package is of little impact. People act like we should give him treatment like Lidstrom, Lemieiux, Sakic or someone. I can't think of lesser impact player than Legwand who stayed with his original team for a full career. It shouldn't be a big deal.

It's funny how Weber signing an offer sheet is viewed as just business but taking him to arbitration to prevent an offer sheet when Weber wasn't negotiating for a contract length the team was willing to do is "forcing" him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad