Is hockey's passion gone for good? If so, how can it return?

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Making the NHL today requires an absolutely mind-boggling financial investment by parents.

A few years ago Patrick Kane’s parents revealed that they spent well over $250K just on skill development training during the boy’s youth. Auston Matthews hardly played any organized youth hockey at all, and was instead privately trained by a well-paid, live-in skills coach. I cannot imagine the price tag on that. Even OV’s mom used her power and authority within the Russian sports bureaucracy to operate what amounted to a private hockey factory for her son. Imagine having the power to order former Soviet national team stars to hit the ice each day for hours and hours to train your child. How much would that cost in North America or Western Europe?

Carey Price was flown by helicopter to youth games. Zach Hyman’s father controlled 90 minor hockey teams to help fund the junior team he owned and operated for his son. Bernie McBain created an entire league and training program, Minnesota Made Hockey, from scratch to provide every conceivable opportunity for his son, Jamie McBain.

The point I’m getting at here is that the kind of “passion” Big Phil misses today didn’t disappear because rivalries were killed by league schedulers or because salaries exploded. To my mind, the NHL today is filled with players who come from remarkably similar socio-economic backgrounds. Their families fit into that subset American researcher Charles Tilley calls “opportunity hoarders,” which is a too kind way of saying “poor people not wanted.”

Does this mean that an NHL player who comes from the opportunity hoarding class cannot play the game with passion and intensity? Of course not. But when the league is absolutely dominated by players who come from just one socio-economic class and nearly all others are excluded, don’t be surprised when the on-ice play mirrors the ethos of this dominant class.

Compare the socio-economic backgrounds of today’s top stars with those of the past. Consider Richard, Howe and Hull:

The Rocket was the oldest of 8 children. His father, a carpenter by trade who eventually worked for CP Railway, was unemployed for 6 straight years (1930-36) and Maurice dropped out of school at age 16 to help his family make ends meet. Yet, the Babe Ruth of Hockey overcame a string of serious injuries to reach the NHL level at age 23.

Mr. Hockey? Big Gordie was 1 of 9 siblings, and his father worked as a construction labourer to (barely) keep food on the table. Like the Rocket, Howe left school early to help his family make ends meet. He sat out his entire 16 year old junior season in Galt because of CAHA residency restrictions and took a day job as a labourer to help support himself and his family back home.

The Golden Jet? Bobby Hull was the oldest of 11 children, raised in a rough and tough company town setup by the Canada Cement Company, where his father worked. He sometimes had to walk all the way to Belleville to practice and play and he also quit school to play junior B hockey in southwestern Ontario at age 15.

The passion vanished when the league became a private air strip reserved for a select group of players with parents from an equally select class.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Making the NHL today requires an absolutely mind-boggling financial investment by parents.

A few years ago Patrick Kane’s parents revealed that they spent well over $250K just on skill development training during the boy’s youth. Auston Matthews hardly played any organized youth hockey at all, and was instead privately trained by a well-paid, live-in skills coach. I cannot imagine the price tag on that. Even OV’s mom used her power and authority within the Russian sports bureaucracy to operate what amounted to a private hockey factory for her son. Imagine having the power to order former Soviet national team stars to hit the ice each day for hours and hours to train your child. How much would that cost in North America or Western Europe?

Carey Price was flown by helicopter to youth games. Zach Hyman’s father controlled 90 minor hockey teams to help fund the junior team he owned and operated for his son. Bernie McBain created an entire league and training program, Minnesota Made Hockey, from scratch to provide every conceivable opportunity for his son, Jamie McBain.

The point I’m getting at here is that the kind of “passion” Big Phil misses today didn’t disappear because rivalries were killed by league schedulers or because salaries exploded. To my mind, the NHL today is filled with players who come from remarkably similar socio-economic backgrounds. Their families fit into that subset American researcher Charles Tilley calls “opportunity hoarders,” which is a too kind way of saying “poor people not wanted.”

Does this mean that an NHL player who comes from the opportunity hoarding class cannot play the game with passion and intensity? Of course not. But when the league is absolutely dominated by players who come from just one socio-economic class and nearly all others are excluded, don’t be surprised when the on-ice play mirrors the ethos of this dominant class.

Compare the socio-economic backgrounds of today’s top stars with those of the past. Consider Richard, Howe and Hull:

The Rocket was the oldest of 8 children. His father, a carpenter by trade who eventually worked for CP Railway, was unemployed for 6 straight years (1930-36) and Maurice dropped out of school at age 16 to help his family make ends meet. Yet, the Babe Ruth of Hockey overcame a string of serious injuries to reach the NHL level at age 23.

Mr. Hockey? Big Gordie was 1 of 9 siblings, and his father worked as a construction labourer to (barely) keep food on the table. Like the Rocket, Howe left school early to help his family make ends meet. He sat out his entire 16 year old junior season in Galt because of CAHA residency restrictions and took a day job as a labourer to help support himself and his family back home.

The Golden Jet? Bobby Hull was the oldest of 11 children, raised in a rough and tough company town setup by the Canada Cement Company, where his father worked. He sometimes had to walk all the way to Belleville to practice and play and he also quit school to play junior B hockey in southwestern Ontario at age 15.

The passion vanished when the league became a private air strip reserved for a select group of players with parents from an equally select class.
Great post. IMO the biggest threat to the sport is the culture of privilege and entitlement that has enveloped the game now that it has become entirely inaccessible to those who can't afford the exorbitant costs, year after year

Reactions: Tarantula

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Needs more physicality among teams.
Needs more fighting.
Needs more players who don't like each other.
Need more teams to have a playoff rival with each teams playing each other a lot and winning a fair share of the series.

This is what is needed to bring the intensity and passion back into the game making them more exciting.

Variety is the spice of life. When you have more things to cheer for and boo against it makes for a much more enjoyable experience.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Very good post up there.

What was McDavid's upbringing like? Never hard anything like that about him.

Matthews relatively poor playmaking could find its answer in how he grew up learning hockey. Don't like the circus freak stories about some of the newer players...

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Very good post up there.

Matthews relatively poor playmaking could find its answer in how he grew up learning hockey. Don't like the circus freak stories about some of the newer players...

I don’t usually respond to comments like this because doing so invites main board zealots to invade, but I think you are absolutely correct.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I don’t usually respond to comments like this because doing so invites main board zealots to invade, but I think you are absolutely correct.

The main boarders don't know the difference between a guy like Auston Matthews and a guy from Flin Flon with no teeth.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Agree with all the above. It pretty much boils down to the fact that an NHL career today is a career choice, whereas it used to be a passion played out and taken as far as players could get away with it.

There are some good points to each extreme situation, but, yeah, if you're looking for passion on the ice... you've come to the wrong era!

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Very good post up there.

McDavid is pretty much in line with the other stories mentioned, he's just more talented. He went to a very expensive hockey school before his time in the OHL. Crosby's upbringing was pretty modest for recent NHL stars but his hockey talent still opened doors. When he went to Shattuck St. Mary's for instance his family couldn't afford it, but the school let him go for free for obvious reasons. I believe that Crosby ended up paying back his school fees once he made the NHL, though he didn't have to.

Nerowoy nora tolad

May 9, 2018
Gladstone, Australia
Now let's look at the critical question.

Mario Lemieux, Patrick Kane, Auston Matthews. Which one had the highest skill level and whose parents paid the least to develop the son's skills.

Re this, Ive been meaning to bother you about something you said in an old thread regarding the population argument. The population argument would be a simple way of explaining why two of the big four come from the boomer generation, a bigger population pool to draw players from gives better odds of developing unique outlier type players like Gretzky, Lemieux. But in an old thread you indicated that the population argument had been refuted by Bill James in regards to baseball. I didnt fully understand why the population argument is incorrect, can you elaborate on that?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Re this, Ive been meaning to bother you about something you said in an old thread regarding the population argument. The population argument would be a simple way of explaining why two of the big four come from the boomer generation, a bigger population pool to draw players from gives better odds of developing unique outlier type players like Gretzky, Lemieux. But in an old thread you indicated that the population argument had been refuted by Bill James in regards to baseball. I didnt fully understand why the population argument is incorrect, can you elaborate on that?

Population Argument as viewed by Bill James:

Shakespeare and Verlander | Articles | Bill James Online

Basically, random clusters and society(if we compare the O6 to today) d0es not need five times as many great hockey players like Howe and Orr. Just like society today does not need (insert population multiple X) Shakespeare times X great writers today. Given that Shakespeare's works are still available and hardly anyone but obscure scholars read them.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Now let's look at the critical question.

Mario Lemieux, Patrick Kane, Auston Matthews. Which one had the highest skill level and whose parents paid the least to develop the son's skills.

Well, the most talented was Mario. I am assuming his parents paid the least amount? I don't think you can teach the stuff he knew and did on the ice.

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

Exactly, and I agree with you on this. When you hear Gretzky talk he states that his father Walter had to borrow money from his mother (Wayne's Grandma) for his skates. Walter was a phone repair man up until he had that brain aneurysm in 1991 I believe. Which means even when his son was dominating hockey in the 1980s he was still working a blue collar job.

In a way, that makes me feel a lot better knowing the greatest player in NHL history came from such humble beginnings. I know for a fact that before Walter got as old as he is now you could go to the old Gretzky house in Brantford, he was very welcoming to you. I'm telling you, that house if I remember correctly was just a bungalow of sorts. Nothing too fancy.

So even as recent as Gretzky's era this was more normal. Which begs the question, what are we doing in Canada that makes hockey so expensive? It is unreal really.

Hard to believe that just a short time ago a few decades back this was thought to be a poor man's game. Gretzky just simply got good because he loved the game and practiced, but loved skating while doing it.

Now look, being well off doesn't make you a worse person or being poor and building yourself up doesn't make you a better person other than it builds a lot of character of course. But I do think there is a parallel to class of citizen that may be taking up the game more. Perhaps less of a chip on their shoulder?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad