Is Hickey really #2 D (right now) ?

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
One line that scores 3 goals a game would be enough to win for most teams.

I agree that the first line is not the problem for this team, but you said "the solid offense that is keeping us in these games". Now, you are pointing out how the first line scores 3 goals a game. When was the last time that happened? What team have YOU been watching? Instead of bashing Hickey supporters, I'd recommend paying attention to the rest of the game.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
I agree that the first line is not the problem for this team, but you said "the solid offense that is keeping us in these games". Now, you are pointing out how the first line scores 3 goals a game. When was the last time that happened? What team have YOU been watching? Instead of bashing Hickey supporters, I'd recommend paying attention to the rest of the game.

Why do you feel such a need to take everything out of context? Maybe if you stop thinking everything is literal, exact, precise, definitive, etc., you may actually have something valuable to contribute one of these days?

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Why do you feel such a need to take everything out of context? Maybe if you stop thinking everything is literal, exact, precise, definitive, etc., you may actually have something valuable to contribute one of these days?
How valuable was your contribution? You started this ridiculous thread.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
Excellent post, as usual, REDBULL! If Hickey was 6-3 and had been our 1st round draft pick, instead of a waiver pick up, guys would be salivating. The guy is weak, no question about it. But he understands hockey and thinks the game well. He also is one of our best d-man at skating the puck out of trouble and making a safe pass. As others have said, the haters will point to his screw up during the last game, but the fact remains that he has been more solid this year and last than most would have expected. I know I had absolutely no faith that he'd amount to anything. I can't wait until the day when we replace him with someone better, or at least slot him down where he belongs, but he is one of the few d-man on this team who actually has some game this year. Maybe that's not saying much, but still it speaks to his performance.

Seriously? So, if you suck, but suck less than the other 5 guys with your same job, that means you have game? Thanks for clearing that up for me.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Seriously? So, if you suck, but suck less than the other 5 guys with your same job, that means you have game? Thanks for clearing that up for me.

But, this is just on repeat from when you first started posting here and bashing Hickey. I don't get it. You seem to single out the one guy who has more game than any of our other guys. So why do you keep singling him out? Is he just a metaphor for the fact that we don't have an NHL defense. That this guy who is respectively good on our team would be mediocre on others?

This team is riddled with problems, yet you attack one of OUR better players. That's why you are getting the push back that you are getting. You should be expecting that.

There's probably two players on this team who are playing where they would play on every other team: Tavares and Vanek.

How about Hamonic? He's not a #1. He sucks. AMac, Strait, Ness, Carkner, etc. Nabby sucks too -- he's not a #1. They all suck. Okposo isn't a first liner. He sucks. Bailey isn't a 2nd liner right now. He sucks. Nor is Grabner. He sucks. Our coach sucks too, he's not an NHL coach.

You are getting flack because we are all jumping to the same conclusion... you keep singling out Hickey. And your answer is the same each time... just because he's good on our team compared to others, that doesn't make him good. Ok, we get it. But then why are you starting this thread? What discussion do you want to have? Or do you just want to circle back to this one comment each time?

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010

Let me make sure this is clear....so YOU can't take it out of context. I don't think Hickey sucks. In fact, I think he has been playing good D. Has he made mistakes? Yes. Has he been solid...an NHL-caliber D-man? Yes, in my opinion, he has. Others agree. Others don't; you are in the latter category. But, he is far from sucking. It truly amazes me how guys can take out how this team is performing as a whole on a few players. Vanek (the other thread) and Hickey are among the least of our problems. How about start with Hamonic, who is not playing like a potential top 2 D-man this year. Or, AMAC, who has looked pretty poorly for most of the season. Or, Martinek. I'm not even going to start on our forwards since D is the topic of this thread.

Don't tell me that I am taking things out of context when you clearly stated that our solid offense is keeping us in these games, and I would argue that it has not. Most point to our D and G as the biggest problems. Well, for most of the last few weeks, goaltending (with a few exceptions) has not been our biggest problem; scoring goals has.

Last edited:

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010

...and you, of all people, are questioning my contributions AFTER YOU started this thread! Wow. I can't wait for more of your informative posts. I'm waiting, teacher...school me. Tell us how the team gets turned around. Tell us how to correct Bailey's or Grabner's funk. Hickey can take some of the blame as this team sucks and every player, to varying degrees, is part of it. However, there are many players that can be attacked before Hickey. I am not a huge Hickey fan, by the way. If they replace, I wouldn't care. Same goes for almost any player. I like the team, and the players come second. I personally think every player is available, except JT, if they can replace them with someone better.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
But, this is just on repeat from when you first started posting here and bashing Hickey. I don't get it. You seem to single out the one guy who has more game than any of our other guys. So why do you keep singling him out? Is he just a metaphor for the fact that we don't have an NHL defense. That this guy who is respectively good on our team would be mediocre on others?

This team is riddled with problems, yet you attack one of OUR better players. That's why you are getting the push back that you are getting. You should be expecting that.

There's probably two players on this team who are playing where they would play on every other team: Tavares and Vanek.

How about Hamonic? He's not a #1. He sucks. AMac, Strait, Ness, Carkner, etc. Nabby sucks too -- he's not a #1. They all suck. Okposo isn't a first liner. He sucks. Bailey isn't a 2nd liner right now. He sucks. Nor is Grabner. He sucks. Our coach sucks too, he's not an NHL coach.

You are getting flack because we are all jumping to the same conclusion... you keep singling out Hickey. And your answer is the same each time... just because he's good on our team compared to others, that doesn't make him good. Ok, we get it. But then why are you starting this thread? What discussion do you want to have? Or do you just want to circle back to this one comment each time?

13TH FLOOR, I agree with what you are saying, but, regarding Vanek, he still would and does bash him. You should go re-read the Vanek thread if you want a few laughs.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
13TH FLOOR, I agree with what you are saying, but, regarding Vanek, he still would and does bash him. You should go re-read the Vanek thread if you want a few laughs.

Oh I know. That thread is ridiculous. But, people there are bashing the fact that we traded, period. I still think many of us agree that Vanek is a 1st line LW on many many teams. So, my point stands that we have TWO players that are playing where they would on any other team. The rest are playing well over their heads.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013

My post went in a completely different direction than I had planned. So be it. I merely defended my position. Did you really expect my opinion to change?

The fact remains you think he's good, I think he sucks, and here we are. If you don't like reading about how bad Hickey truly is, don't read these threads, it's really that simple.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
My post went in a completely different direction than I had planned. So be it. I merely defended my position. Did you really expect my opinion to change?

The fact remains you think he's good, I think he sucks, and here we are. If you don't like reading about how bad Hickey truly is, don't read these threads, it's really that simple.

How did your opinion all of the sudden become fact? It probably would have been better to leave it off as "you can have your opinion, and I'll have mine," but whatever. And, about reading threads (or posts), you disagree with many, yet you don't just read them; you feel the need to respond. Others may want to, as well. Maybe, the moderators should just make a rule that you can only reply if you agree with a post. Then, this thread would turn into one big friendly circle jerk. I'd prefer the honest debate, myself.

In the end, while we disagree, we are all Islanders' fans. We are beaten and abused and often lash out at each other.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

Do you expect our opinion to change?

You are right. I should just ignore. Kind of like I should just ignore this team. :)

I guess I don't understand the point of being abrasive. You ask a rhetorical question in your title, a question that you already know the answer to because nobody on this board has ever even come close to saying he's a number 2. Heck, this board would probably agree that Hamonic isn't even a number 2 and he's probably our best healthy defensemen. It's not like you asked for a poll, because you know the answer: nobody would argue he's a number 2. If you took the consensus of who are top pairing defensemen (so including #2s) in the league, you are looking at elite all-stars, not waiver wire picks up who have played less than 100 games.

The thread was more of a 'Player Discussion: Thomas Hickey' title with OP being 'Hickey sucks'. As you mentioned above (which I agree with)... that he's a #5/6 playing in a #2 role. I think we ALL agree on that. So what are we talking about again? :)

As usual, I end up agreeing with you. It's just a journey to get here. :)

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
How did your opinion all of the sudden become fact? It probably would have been better to leave it off as "you can have your opinion, and I'll have mine," but whatever. And, about reading threads (or posts), you disagree with many, yet you don't just read them; you feel the need to respond. Others may want to, as well. Maybe, the moderators should just make a rule that you can only reply if you agree with a post. Then, this thread would turn into one big friendly circle jerk. I'd prefer the honest debate, myself.

In the end, while we disagree, we are all Islanders' fans. We are beaten and abused and often lash out at each other.

Where do you come up with this stuff Frankie? Is that what you took from the first sentence of my second paragraph? lol.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010

Did you just ask me where I come up with this stuff? How ABOUT RIGHT OUT OF YOUR POSTS!

How about the italicized word in your last sentence? Are you this oblivious, or are you Fing with me? For your sake, I hope it's the latter. You just typed "If you don't like reading about how bad Hickey truly is, don't read these threads, it's really that simple." Or, did you forget that already?

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
Before you even try to twist what I've said or make excuses for what you've said by saying that I am taking you literally...why insert the word "truly" AND italicize it?

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
Do you expect our opinion to change?

You are right. I should just ignore. Kind of like I should just ignore this team. :)

I guess I don't understand the point of being abrasive. You ask a rhetorical question in your title, a question that you already know the answer to because nobody on this board has ever even come close to saying he's a number 2. Heck, this board would probably agree that Hamonic isn't even a number 2 and he's probably our best healthy defensemen. It's not like you asked for a poll, because you know the answer: nobody would argue he's a number 2. If you took the consensus of who are top pairing defensemen (so including #2s) in the league, you are looking at elite all-stars, not waiver wire picks up who have played less than 100 games.

The thread was more of a 'Player Discussion: Thomas Hickey' title with OP being 'Hickey sucks'. As you mentioned above (which I agree with)... that he's a #5/6 playing in a #2 role. I think we ALL agree on that. So what are we talking about again? :)

As usual, I end up agreeing with you. It's just a journey to get here. :)

Lol. You're right. A lot of times I'll see something that triggers a thought that turns into post that turns into a discussion that was never intended. Such is life. Half the time I'm just 'stirring the pot', I get a kick outta the responses I get. My actions don't always mirror my thoughts - purposefully. It makes things much more fun. #5 defenseman playing #2 minutes has always been my issue, never the player.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
Did you just ask me where I come up with this stuff? How ABOUT RIGHT OUT OF YOUR POSTS!

How about the italicized word in your last sentence? Are you this oblivious, or are you Fing with me? For your sake, I hope it's the latter. You just typed "If you don't like reading about how bad Hickey truly is, don't read these threads, it's really that simple." Or, did you forget that already?

And when you divide the square root of 81 by the number of pigeons housed at the nearest bird hospital in Hoboken, you'll come to the same conclusion. Thanks again for your profound wisdom.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
And when you divide the square root of 81 by the number of pigeons housed at the nearest bird hospital in Hoboken, you'll come to the same conclusion. Thanks again for your profound wisdom.

Again, a BS response to cloud your original response and follow-ups.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Although RB explains it pretty well, I don't think I'll ever be able to wrap my head around why Hickey (who has been our BEST Dman this season) has so many haters.

As for OP's original question...is he a #2 dman?

On our team right now? Yes he is
On a good team? Not now, but could be maybe sometime down the road if absolutely everything goes right in his development.

People forget how young the guy is.

Now if you wanna talk about AMac...he just flat out stinks. He's definitely one guy I'd love to see playing on another team.

Last edited:

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
Again, a BS response to cloud your original response and follow-ups.

This is my last attempt to get through to you Frankie boy...

You put 9 people and Frankie in a dark room, then turn on the light.
You ask them what just happened?
9 of them say - you just turned on the light
Frankie says - a wave of energy was released from an atom, thereby releasing packets of energy that...

Too much noise. Get it?

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
This is my last attempt to get through to you Frankie boy...

You put 9 people and Frankie in a dark room, then turn on the light.
You ask them what just happened?
9 of them say - you just turned on the light
Frankie says - a wave of energy was released from an atom, thereby releasing packets of energy that...

Too much noise. Get it?

Get through to me? Wow. I'd block your posts, except I love to read them. They make so much sense. Say something that makes ANY sense based upon your posts and people's responses to them. Rock on, bro. :yo:

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
Get through to me? Wow. I'd block your posts, except I love to read them. They make so much sense. Say something that makes ANY sense based upon your posts and people's responses to them. Rock on, bro. :yo:

And the glimmer of hope I thought there was is no more.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
Again...more meaningful posts. How about respond to anyone's post in this thread with something other than more empty thoughts.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
Again...more meaningful posts. How about respond to anyone's post in this thread with something other than more empty thoughts.

And on top of everything else, you're blind too? What else are you not telling us? Wait, we wouldn't understand what you were trying to say, scratch that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad