Is Hickey really #2 D (right now) ?

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
This guy haunts me. I try to put him outta my mind. try to look away when he's on the ice, yet he's always there. I wanted to read about Strome's debut in the eyes of others and here's what I get:

"The end came at the 1:51 mark of the extra frame, when an awful sequence by Isles defenseman Thomas Hickey led to a Max Pacioretty tip-in goal. Hickey first turned the puck over to David Desharnais behind the Isles’ net and was then beaten by Desharnais, who wrapped around the net and fed the puck to Pacioretty in the slot for the score."

WTF? Can someone please explain to me again why Griff didn't even take 1 shift during his 9 game stint? From what I've been reading on this board, we have players all over the system that can outplay the smurf: Pelech, Pedan, Pokka, Pulock. Why is he here?

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
This guy haunts me. I try to put him outta my mind. try to look away when he's on the ice, yet he's always there. I wanted to read about Strome's debut in the eyes of others and here's what I get:

"The end came at the 1:51 mark of the extra frame, when an awful sequence by Isles defenseman Thomas Hickey led to a Max Pacioretty tip-in goal. Hickey first turned the puck over to David Desharnais behind the Isles’ net and was then beaten by Desharnais, who wrapped around the net and fed the puck to Pacioretty in the slot for the score."

WTF? Can someone please explain to me again why Griff didn't even take 1 shift during his 9 game stint? From what I've been reading on this board, we have players all over the system that can outplay the smurf: Pelech, Pedan, Pokka, Pulock. Why is he here?

Because all those other guys are the answer. See Donovan.

Grass is always greener thinking prospects are ALWAYS better than the current players. Hickey is out there because Wang did NOT spend any money on D in the offseason. Plain and simple.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003

We don't know if any of these guys can outplay hickey at the NHL level. I know he's small but he's played pretty well so far this season. Hickey and Strait are not top 4 D-men and are not being paid like top 4 D-men. We picked them up for nothing and the both are NHL D-men, just not top 4. We all know Snow should have brought in a top 4 D-man and a #1 goalie but he didn't. We didn't have enough depth at D to withstand to long term injuries early on. Strait is back and, it's just 2 games but, it looks like he's playing well.
Cappy shouldn't have had Ness and Hickey out together. Ness has been a train wreck lately. I'd rather see Carkner in there.

Last edited:

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
I hear what you guys are saying, I guess I already know this stuff, I'm just wondering if it's gonna play out the rest of the year like this? How long will it take before the solid offense that's keeping us in these games finally says ******* it and the wheels completely come off? Our top offensive talent will truly be known as Vanish, Stroll, and Tamares (another day).

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
I hear what you guys are saying, I guess I already know this stuff, I'm just wondering if it's gonna play out the rest of the year like this? How long will it take before the solid offense that's keeping us in these games finally says ******* it and the wheels completely come off? Our top offensive talent will truly be known as Vanish, Stroll, and Tamares (another day).

Since things haven't yet gone badly enough to make changes, you have your answer. Yes.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
What solid offense? We are a one line team.

MDIsles

New Era
Oct 24, 2011
DE Beaches for now
Here's how I see the Isles defense:

Hamonic-Solid 2nd Pairing Dman on a solid team
AMAC-Solid 3rd Pairing Dman on a solid team
DeHaan-3rd pairing still young, its fine
Carkner-AHL dman
Ness-ECHL Dman but a really good ECHL dman
Donovan-3rd pairing still young, boarderline AHL top career dman
Hickey-3rd Pairing dman on a mediocre team, solid AHL way too small

I hope Griff, Pulock, Pedan are REALLY GOOD cuz we are SCREWED!

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010

Carkner-AHL dman

Pretty much

DeHaan has 2nd pairing potential but he's definitely a 3rd pairing right now.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY

Carkner-AHL dman

don't forget Ekblad from this year's top 2 pick. :shakehead but I think you are spot on with your assessment above.

It Was 4 to 1*

Mar 22, 2009
hickey would be a top 6 dman on most teams. he has what teams actually value: hockey sense and puck movement. but don't let me get in the way of your anti-hickey agenda. it's just kinda weird how you make this thread when he makes his first glaring mistake in weeks.

JetsMetsIsles

Nov 20, 2009
hickey would be a top 6 dman on most teams. he has what teams actually value: hockey sense and puck movement. but don't let me get in the way of your anti-hickey agenda. it's just kinda weird how you make this thread when he makes his first glaring mistake in weeks.

Oh god thats wrong. Hickey is awful. Anti Hickey agenda? What? How about calling it what it is. Enough with some of you polishing all of our turds. This team stinks for a reason.

JetsMetsIsles

Nov 20, 2009

Carkner-AHL dman

This is a great assessment of where we stand with our D right now.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

Hickey makes the fewest mistakes among all the defense, except Visnovsky. It's not even close. He's emerged as a very good defenseman despite his size.

For some perspective, the Isles defense is among the worst in the NHL, so Hickey is not Doughty or Pietrangelo. But even Hamonic, who I think is great, makes a heck of a lot of mistakes. Yes, he's against the top lines, but that doesn't reflect the poor choices these guys make at times, especially with the puck.

I think many fans hate that Hickey's one of the best defensemen. I believe it's because it's very sad that a diminutive dman who was wrongfully picked 4th overall 6 years ago, grabbed on waivers, is the second best defenseman on a team that's been rebuilding since that same draft year. And it's true, he is - and that's completely embarrassing for Snow and this farce of a rebuild.

On Reinhart. He probably should have gotten some games. But that's a red herring, he's 19,what could we realistically expect from him? To play 30min against top lines? Again, Reinhart has nothing to do with Snow's failure to address the defense, both size and skill, since 2008.

Misplaced rage going on here.

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
Hickey makes the fewest mistakes among all the defense, except Visnovsky. It's not even close. He's emerged as a very good defenseman despite his size.

For some perspective, the Isles defense is among the worst in the NHL, so Hickey is not Doughty or Pietrangelo. But even Hamonic, who I think is great, makes a heck of a lot of mistakes. Yes, he's against the top lines, but that doesn't reflect the poor choices these guys make at times, especially with the puck.

I think many fans hate that Hickey's one of the best defensemen. I believe it's because it's very sad that a diminutive dman who was wrongfully picked 4th overall 6 years ago, grabbed on waivers, is the second best defenseman on a team that's been rebuilding since that same draft year. And it's true, he is - and that's completely embarrassing for Snow and this farce of a rebuild.

On Reinhart. He probably should have gotten some games. But that's a red herring, he's 19,what could we realistically expect from him? To play 30min against top lines? Again, Reinhart has nothing to do with Snow's failure to address the defense, both size and skill, since 2008.

Extremely accurate assessment. It's not Hickey's fault that he's our second or third best D. In fact he plays with courage and intelligence and gets the most of his physical skills. Some of our players should try to play with his intensity. Third pair D on most teams? Probably but at least he gets the most out of his ability.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
He's a second pairing d-man with Vis. Without? Not sure, have to figure out who works best with him while keeping him on his strong side. But he's pretty far down the list of problems with this team.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
He is ovetated on these boards. He may be our 2nd or 3rd best dman..but that isnt saying much considering how bad hammer and Amac are. he needs replacing if they expect to compete.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013

What team have you been watching? I was at the game in Phoenix, and early on in the game, my (knowledgable hockey) wife turns to me and says "who's #14, he's horrible". The best pro Hickey banter I ever hear is "he's not so bad". That's like saying to an obese woman, you're not SO fat, lol.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Not that I think Hickey is every going to amount to much of anything, but let's not forget that he is still very inexperienced. Essentially, he is a sophmore in the NHL.

With a little experience, I think Hickey is going to be a fine bottom pairing dman. He sees the ice really well, has decent (if unexceptional skills), and makes reasonable choices.

In fact, I'd say that Hickey and Strait could be the best bottom pairing guys the Isles have had in years.

The problem with Hickey, is the problem with AMac and Hamonic: Used in a role that his skillset can't support.

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
Not that I think Hickey is every going to amount to much of anything, but let's not forget that he is still very inexperienced. Essentially, he is a sophmore in the NHL.

With a little experience, I think Hickey is going to be a fine bottom pairing dman. He sees the ice really well, has decent (if unexceptional skills), and makes reasonable choices.

In fact, I'd say that Hickey and Strait could be the best bottom pairing guys the Isles have had in years.

The problem with Hickey, is the problem with AMac and Hamonic: Used in a role that his skillset can't support.

Yeah everyone would be better in their proper roles including Travis and Amac. Right now everyone is playing one pairing higher than they should including Hamonic.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013

...the best defenseman on the Islanders, and I'll give ya that. If this team had 3 or 4 decent defensemen, he wouldn't be in the spotlight and wouldn't be getting the crap that he's getting. Agreed. Maybe the gripe should be changed to "Hickey only sucks because he's a #5 defenseman playing in a #1 role. If that works for you, I'm on board. Nonetheless, he's still the same dreadful Hickey.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
I could hear the Hickey haters rejoice when I saw that sequence. Because they can finally say "You see?! We told you he sucked!!!"

I guess one mistake means you suck. Why don't you guys complain more about Ness? Who couldn't even box out Pacioretty (sp) during that goal?

I get it was a horrible sequence but you all make it seem like it was all Hickeys fault. Sure he was part of the problem of that play but his teammates could've done something about it to cover him.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
We have too many small defense men. That isn't Hickey's fault. If we had a normal defense he would be the one small fry in the bunch, and would be working his way towards being a #4 guy eventually. IMO, everything begins and ends there.

This thread really should be titled 'I hate Hickey because the defense sucks.' If you did ratchet back his ice time and give more of it to Ness, Carkner, or Martinek things would be worse regarding goals against because they really suck.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010

Excellent post, as usual, REDBULL! If Hickey was 6-3 and had been our 1st round draft pick, instead of a waiver pick up, guys would be salivating. The guy is weak, no question about it. But he understands hockey and thinks the game well. He also is one of our best d-man at skating the puck out of trouble and making a safe pass. As others have said, the haters will point to his screw up during the last game, but the fact remains that he has been more solid this year and last than most would have expected. I know I had absolutely no faith that he'd amount to anything. I can't wait until the day when we replace him with someone better, or at least slot him down where he belongs, but he is one of the few d-man on this team who actually has some game this year. Maybe that's not saying much, but still it speaks to his performance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad