News Article: Is Henrik changing his mind?

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I just don't see it happening...he's not worth his current contract...what's the point in moving him for scraps..
IDT its about the value you get but instead doing right by Lundqvist since hes done right by the Rangers for so long (if he asked to be moved)

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
IDT its about the value you get but instead doing right by Lundqvist since hes done right by the Rangers for so long (if he asked to be moved)
Henrik is one of my favorite players of all time... But I didn't become a rangers fan because of Henrik ...I became a Henrik fan because of the rangers. Rangers have done right by Henrik by paying him gobs of cash. He's been the highest paid goalie for a lot of his tenure here.... I wouldn't hurt this franchise to help Henrik. With that said if he wants out and an amicable trade can be made I'm all for it. But I'm not eating a ton of money and taking on a terrible contract just so Henrik can win his cup.

Priorae

Apr 21, 2017
New Jersey
He would be a great fit for a contender or one trying to be a contender right now if they wanted to commit the money. The Flames / Oilers. The Rangers wouldn't get anything in return really due to the salary, but it would add a little flexibility as to what they could do with the roster.

Blueblood2

Nov 14, 2011
I just don't see anything happening with this unless a contending team has a significant injury somewhere prior to the trade deadline and is looking for an experienced goalie. Hank is not an elite goalie anymore, he is average. His cap number makes him a bear to trade and get any value unless like Inferno said you take on the brunt of the salary or another bad contract and we shouldn't do that.

Reactions: CaptBubba5

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't care if Hank stays until 50 as the backup, but he has to be willing to be paid like a backup.

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Henrik is one of my favorite players of all time... But I didn't become a rangers fan because of Henrik ...I became a Henrik fan because of the rangers. Rangers have done right by Henrik by paying him gobs of cash. He's been the highest paid goalie for a lot of his tenure here.... I wouldn't hurt this franchise to help Henrik. With that said if he wants out and an amicable trade can be made I'm all for it. But I'm not eating a ton of money and taking on a terrible contract just so Henrik can win his cup.
IMO if it does come down to it what the Rangers and the fans need to realize in order to get a deal done there shouldn't be expectations on a huge return for Lundqvist. I am not saying we should give him away. But, there are a lot of things that need to be considered. What teams Lundqvist would consider waiving too. Can that team take the ENTIRE salary and cap hit? I think those are the two biggest things to consider. Then, whatever Groton get back by way of picks, prospects or players is entirely secondary.

Reactions: haveandare

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Henrik is changing his mind because he knows he won't keep his job with Georgiev and Shesterkin here. He doesn't want to be embarrassed and be cut next season.

Reactions: Wicked Backhand

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
IMO if it does come down to it what the Rangers and the fans need to realize in order to get a deal done there shouldn't be expectations on a huge return for Lundqvist. I am not saying we should give him away. But, there are a lot of things that need to be considered. What teams Lundqvist would consider waiving too. Can that team take the ENTIRE salary and cap hit? I think those are the two biggest things to consider. Then, whatever Groton get back by way of picks, prospects or players is entirely secondary.

There shouldn't be expectations on ANY return for Hank unless we ate significant salary. And even then, the return would not be huge at all.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Let's trade Hank to a random team, let them eat 50% of his salary, and then he can be traded back. I'd be fine with Hank at $4M per year.

For now.

Yeah, let's.

Oh, wait, Hank has a NMC so why would he approve to a trade to a "random team" at all?

He's not going anywhere until a.) he decides he wants to win now and approves a trade to a win now team or b.) his current contract runs its course and he signs with another team. Those are the options.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Yeah, let's.

Oh, wait, Hank has a NMC so why would he approve to a trade to a "random team" at all?

He's not going anywhere until a.) he decides he wants to win now and approves a trade to a win now team or b.) his current contract runs its course and he signs with another team. Those are the options.

It's almost like we all know he has a NMC. I would encourage management to encourage Hank to be open to a move. And I wouldn't object to eating salary to get him off the books going forward.

Reactions: Wicked Backhand

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Even if it was allowed, we don't need cap space. Having Hank at a lower cap hit doesn't really change anything except not having people complain about his cap hit. Still would have 3 goalies

Reactions: haveandare

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
There shouldn't be expectations on ANY return for Hank unless we ate significant salary. And even then, the return would not be huge at all.

Realistically what do people think Hank at 50% brings? A second rounder? A late first? An ok role player like Fast?

WeRa

Nov 2, 2017
"Not finishing my career with the Rangers" IMO doesn't mean he want to be traded. It only means he knows he CAN be asked to cancel the NMC clause. He is a realist..

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
What is so sad about it?

Most people are a little sad when a future retired number gets dealt.

We aren't binary robots who only get utility the day a Stanley cup is won. Otherwise sports fanhood would be totally irrational given the distribution of pain and pleasure. There are other elements of fanhood that are enjoyable. Players you like, memorable non cup moments, good team years.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Most people are a little sad when a future retired number gets dealt.

We aren't binary robots who only get utility the day a Stanley cup is won. Otherwise sports fanhood would be totally irrational given the distribution of pain and pleasure. There are other elements of fanhood that are enjoyable. Players you like, memorable non cup moments, good team years.

not when they are traded after the retirement age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad