News Article: Is Henrik changing his mind?

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Via foreverblueshirts.com and a tweet from some guy named Jon Lane.

I for one, wouldn't hold it against him if he chose to leave. I suppose his ego would take the hit....... possibly playing 2nd fiddle to either Georgiev or possibly even Shesty in a few years would eat him alive. Pretty sure 40 or less games for Hank, isn't going to satisfy him......and it's looking that way.

Wonder if there is a team out there that would guarantee him 60+ games?
Would he then waive? Or, is this a crock of crap and trying to sell Swedish newspapers? Thoughts?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
"Not finishing my career with the Rangers" =/= He will be traded.

It just means that when his current contract ends he may want to continue playing, but if the Rangers do not offer him a contract he could go elsewhere

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The article that I read simply said he's unsure if he'll finish his career with the Rangers after his current contract runs out. It didn't say anything about asking for a trade or being willing to be traded. Just that he may play somewhere else when his deal is done.

The only thing that could be construed as not finishing out his contract is his quote that he wants to stay through the end of it, but if the team approached him he'd have to listen because you can't "just do your own thing."

Seems like much ado about nothing at this point.

Reactions: egelband

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Things get lost in translation but seems he is referring to past this current contract. Would be hard to trade him with that current cap hit, even if he wanted to leave now.

Reactions: CasusBelli

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
I think he talked to Zucc, who hasn't been offered a UFA contract, and now Hank is thinking he will get the same treatment after his contract expires

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
On the final year of his deal (next year?) I can see him waiving at the TDL if he still has value, feels he's got more to give and it's to a team he would consider extending for. Kind of as a 'Thank You' to the team and fans. Even though I'm sure he'd rather finish out is deal here and figure out his plans in the off season. Otherwise I don't see him allowing a trade.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Wouldn’t bet on anything actually happening, since I can’t foresee any teams wanting to take on his contract. Fully expect him to just play out his final two years under contract.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
”- I don't know if I will stay in Rangers throughout my career. I have two years left on the contract and it has always been my goal to remain in Rangers. But when you get up in the years you never know. I have my own agenda, but if the club wants something else, I have to be sensitive to it. You can't just run your own race. It's not always the dream is realistic, we'll see how it gets. Now I focus everything on the World Cup, says Henke.” Sounds like if Rangers don’t wanna extend his contract he might be forced to sign somewhere else? Not like he wants to move?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I just don't see it happening...he's not worth his current contract...what's the point in moving him for scraps..

He is no longer worth 8.5 mil, but at 4.25 mil, there's probably a team out there that would be interested, especially if it's just for the final year of his contract.

There would be several reasons to make that trade:

1) If Hank is willing, it may be because he wants a chance at a cup, or because he wants to play more games than he will here. If Hank asks, that's reason enough.
2) If we trade him, that puts less pressure on the Rangers to trade one of Shesty or Georgiev. We can probably juggle all 3 goalies between the NHL and AHL for a year, but it's not an ideal situation, which will only become more difficult in 2020.
3) The return may not be huge, but something is still better than nothing.

Of course none of this happens unless Hank agrees to it. I'd be perfectly fine with him playing out his contract if we didn't have 2 young goalies both pushing for NHL starts. The worst possible scenario is that we trade Georgiev too soon, Hank retires and Shesty flops. We could go from three goalies to zero really quick.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Just hope his career doesn't end up like Marty's

As big of a prick that he was, he didn't deserve his career ending being released by the St Louis Blues.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Seemed weird how someone reported that the Jackets talked to us about Lundqvist at the deadline, then it got immediately crapped on by all of our beat reporters at the same time.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Just hope his career doesn't end up like Marty's

As big of a prick that he was, he didn't deserve his career ending being released by the St Louis Blues.
No one forced Brodeur to keep going though. He wanted to maximize every cent he could and play as long as anyone would take him (his prerogative, more power to him) and he accepted a cheap deal from St. Louis when he probably should have honorably called it quits. Hopefully Hank recognizes when his skills are diminished enough and he quits before.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
To me it is Hank wanting to get extended and Gorts said lets see how things go we still have a couple years to talk.

Reactions: Crease

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I just don't see it happening...he's not worth his current contract...what's the point in moving him for scraps..

the point would be to move onto the 2 young goalies we have to see who the future guy is...georgiev will need waivers after 17 more games. and shesterkin says he's ok with the AHL but not for 2 years.

you can buy sometime with all 3...but most likely scenario is us trading georgiev (for a mediocre return since goalies have no trade value) and be left crossing our fingers that we guessed right and shesterkin is the better of the 2 long term.

obviously hank deserves to end his rangers tenure on his own terms but this would be the teams reasons for moving him before his deal is up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad