Is He or is He not?

oilz89*

OK guys i just wanted to ask this question even though i know i could've just asked this in a different open thread

Do you guys think Draisatl is NHL ready? Just give your honest opinion and how you guys think his point production would be.

In my opinion, I think he is NHL ready. However, he should be playing sheltered third line minutes with some PP time.
I see him getting 12-15 goals and around 20-25 assists

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So why exactly is this so thread worthy that it couldn't have been posted in the existing Draisaitl thread?

Come on man.

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
size wise he may be but we do not have the depth at center to shelter him, he will play potentially over his head against the centers in the west. send him back to Jr let him dominate and keep his confidence high, then let mac try to bring in a center next year to help shelter leon

oilz89*

So why exactly is this so thread worthy that it couldn't have been posted in the existing Draisaitl thread?

Come on man.

lol hey man its my first ever thread. Thought i'd start one

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Used properly, he probably is ready. Leaned on, heavily, like the Oilers usually do with high picks, he is not ready for.

In short, 3C, yes. 2C, no.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
He's "Oiler ready" because they don't have 4 centres better than him. :) Is he ready for the NHL... maybe not.

Joking aside... we do have to see what he can do in camp/preseason (and in his 9 game stint which I'm pretty sure he'll get at a minimum).. but I personally do think he will be ready and he's working his ass off to improve on his deficiencies and make this team.

I expect him to perform like most other very young 1st year centres... have difficult stretches, make glaring errors and generally look like you know... a rookie out there. That's something that will happen in a player's 1st season whether they are 18/19/20+

In short... we do have to wait and see... but I think he's skilled enough, mature enough and has the intelligence and work ethic to constantly improve and work on his game... I think he's ready to be a solid contributing member of the Oilers.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
You simply cannot shelter guys all the time, the word 'shelter' and soft minutes' are way over used. If you are on the road vs the Blackhawks when Draistl steps on the ice Toews and kane might be on the ice.

Against anaheim, getzlaff and perry. You can try to limit a guys exposure but you can't eliminate it without him being on the bench the whole game.

I view Draistl as being like the other young oilers that have come into the league. If the other team is lazy and not playing their game, if your pp is clicking he will look good enough and score points. If the other teams enforce their will and play good match ups he will get owned.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
You simply cannot shelter guys all the time, the word 'shelter' and soft minutes' are way over used. If you are on the road vs the Blackhawks when Draistl steps on the ice Toews and kane might be on the ice.

Against anaheim, getzlaff and perry. You can try to limit a guys exposure but you can't eliminate it without him being on the bench the whole game.

I view Draistl as being like the other young oilers that have come into the league. If the other team is lazy and not playing their game, if your pp is clicking he will look good enough and score points. If the other teams enforce their will and play good match ups he will get owned.

I think someone brought it up in another thread, but he doesn't HAVE to play all 82 games. Why not have him sit out 10 or so games on the road against the better teams, where you can't control match ups, and watch from above. Getting to watch teams like LA or STL instead of play them may help him understand the game a bit more.

This is all based on a scenario where there is a 2c and he is playing 3c minutes, and could be switched out with lander/arco. So, take it with a grain of salt.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I think someone brought it up in another thread, but he doesn't HAVE to play all 82 games. Why not have him sit out 10 or so games on the road against the better teams, where you can't control match ups, and watch from above. Getting to watch teams like LA or STL instead of play them may help him understand the game a bit more.

This is all based on a scenario where there is a 2c and he is playing 3c minutes, and could be switched out with lander/arco. So, take it with a grain of salt.

The problem is that if the oilers were adamant about having three scoring lines we are giving more time and games to lander who can't score at all at the NHL level and Arco who is still an unknown. We simply do not have the depth at center to do this type of thing if you ask me. If we had actually signed an offensive vet we perhaps could do something like this. (And this is not even taking into account inevitable injuries.)

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
The problem is that if the oilers were adamant about having three scoring lines we are giving more time and games to lander who can't score at all at the NHL level and Arco who is still an unknown. We simply do not have the depth at center to do this type of thing if you ask me. If we had actually signed an offensive vet we perhaps could do something like this. (And this is not even taking into account inevitable injuries.)

I agree, I should have clarified that I meant that the 2c would be a proper vet.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Considering how much hes been working this offseason, he actually could be. Ill answer this question after camp. He could have improved alot with skating for all we know

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

Come on man.

Maybe it's a good thing.

The way the questions are phrased, it seems to narrow the scope of things from the existing thread.

Vikingstad

**** the King
May 1, 2011
Vancouver
I think hes ready. I see no reason why he cant put up numbers like Galchenyuk in his rookie season, they`re pretty similar.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I think he is going to be ready for training camp.

And then, if he has a good training camp he will be used in preseason games.

And then, if he has a good preseason he gets to play up to 9 games in the NHL.

And then, if he plays well in those 9 game the organization will deem him ready for full time NHL duty...

Lol, I said duty.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
lol hey man its my first ever thread. Thought i'd start one

Bah. ;)

Honestly its more about repetitive clutter than anything else.
That said I have no doubt your 2nd thread will be much better placed. ;)

As far as Draisaitl goes...if MacT doesn't bring in another centre then Leon's readiness takes a back seat to the teams need.

Not the right way to go about things but its not like this a new script.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I'll say not ready, he'll likely follow the trend of rookies who are close to ready but aren't quite ready, which is a pretty good start, but when the initial rush of playing in the NHL wears off he'll have a pretty poor mid portion of the season and near the end of the season will start showing noticable improvement and start to look like a legitimate NHL talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad