Is Halak fine with being a backup?

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Obviously since he signed with Boston he knew he wouldn’t get the starting job over Rask, but the guy has been fantastic since signing with the Bruins. There’s no way with his play (he could start for almost any team) that he is ok being a backup. Legit the Bruins should think of starting him in the playoffs. Anyway maybe should have posted this in the Bruins forum. My bad.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think he's in a good spot in Boston, the Bruins like to spell Rask's play considerably. I'd expect him around 40 games again, it should be enough to get him a starting gig somewhere else next year when he hits UFA this Summer if he wants it.

If the Bruins were in another Game 7 Cup Final situation, I wouldn't hesitate to put him in.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Is he really a backup though? He was as important as Rask during last years regular season and has played as many games this year so far.

Reactions: weaponomega

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
I'm not sure he's unhappy about the situation. He never really took his chance as a starter and there aren't that many teams in the league that are comfortable playing their backup 35-40 games per year, on a winning team nonetheless. I'd say he's exactly where he should be and I think he might see it this way too.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Is he really a backup though? He was as important as Rask during last years regular season and has played as many games this year so far.
He did actually take over for a little bit last year. Rask had an abysmal start and went on a leave of absence but it still settled in as Rask being the clear starter with Halak just handling significant back-up duties. If the Bruins have another great year with some leeway going into the playoffs, I think it will be a comfortable split for games with the intention being save Rask up for the playoffs.

Mar 11, 2013
QC
Why? He obviously knew he was gonna be a backup, it's not like he's your average backup either, he gets paid a good amount and basically splits the season with Rask. He's also potentially earning himself a full time starting job elsewhere when his contract is up with the way he's been playing.

Last edited:
Reactions: tardigrade81

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
If he signed with the Bruins he is because he knew that's coming. Rask wasn't just going to disappear.

I think I get what OP is saying- you sign the contract, then do better than expected, and maybe you want to be a starter somewhere else. Doubt that's the case here, as others have said it's a good situation for him, but guys have wanted a move after signing contracts before.

It does give the Bruins a nice trade piece should they wanna go that route- if Washington or someone is still struggling with goaltending halfway through the season. Personally I'd keep Halak, but maybe they get a great offer.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Why? He obviously knew he was gonna be a backup, it's not like he's your average backup either, he gets paid a good amount and basically splits the season with Rask. He's also potentially earning himself a full time starting job elsewhere when his contract is up with the way he's been playing.
Valid point lol.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Halak has typically struggled (both with injuries and consistency) when he's been the go-to guy in the past.

What the Bruins have with him is a near perfect fit. He's good enough to steal time away from Rask, and push him; but he's never going to be in a situation where he needs to play through issues (physical or mental).

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
There is great value in being honest when evaluating yourself.

Is Halak is happy being an excellent backup? If he is, and you have to think he is cause he wasn't going to beat out Rask, then good for him.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
If he's unhappy about it then that's on him. He signed with a team that had an established #1 that he wasn't going to replace. Could he be a starter on a team? Probably. But it wouldn't be a great team - like he has in Boston.

I'm sure he's just fine with his choice.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
He would be a starter on many teams but perhaps he will love the environment he is in to succeed and will stay.
Well the next question I guess. Will the Bruins start him in the playoffs. I was surprised he didn’t get a game last year I guess but that’s just me. Hard to tell a guy like Rask you’re not the starter tonight.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
He' s playing behind great D, gets decent amount of games, works perfect for him at this point of his career. He ll most likely get another starting goalie contract after this year, not in Boston of course.

Perfect position to be in after less than good season with Islanders 2 years ago.

He's 34, with numbers around 0.920 he ll get something like 2 x 4,5 - 5 M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad