Is Halak fine with being a backup?

Monsieur Miz

Nov 3, 2017
I think he gave an interview a couple of years ago where he said he preferred being a backup, less pressure.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
It's really a win-win situation for him and Rask.

Halak's track record shows that the more games he plays, the more exposed and fatigued he gets and the worse his numbers are. He might be able to start 60 games in Columbus or somewhere, but he'd break down and put up a worse GAA and SV% than he would playing 40 games in Boston.

Plus Rask was able to go on that run last spring where he was one crappy game from a unanimous Conn Smythe precisely because having a great backup took pressure off him in the regular season and let him rest. Back in the years we had Niklas Svedberg and Jonas Gustafsson, Tuukka ended up having to play like 65-70 games and was flat out dead by the end of the season. Whenever someone brings up the possibility of trading Halak, I fall back on that to conclude that I'm perfectly happy with our tandem unless someone wants to massively overpay.

Reactions: wintersej and abo9

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
It's really a win-win situation for him and Rask.

Halak's track record shows that the more games he plays, the more exposed and fatigued he gets and the worse his numbers are. He might be able to start 60 games in Columbus or somewhere, but he'd break down and put up a worse GAA and SV% than he would playing 40 games in Boston.

Plus Rask was able to go on that run last spring where he was one crappy game from a unanimous Vezina precisely because having a great backup took pressure off him in the regular season and let him rest. Back in the years we had Niklas Svedberg and Jonas Gustafsson, Tuukka ended up having to play like 65-70 games and was flat out dead by the end of the season. Whenever someone brings up the possibility of trading Halak, I fall back on that to conclude that I'm perfectly happy with our tandem unless someone wants to massively overpay.
Agree with pretty much all of this, but I have no idea where the "unanimous Vezina" came from. Did you mean Conn Smythe?

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Halak just is not a #1. He's always been an incredible #2/1B though. Had Montreal been able to keep him with Price that would have been a hell of a duo, but he looked too good early on to not have a team try him as a #1

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Obviously since he signed with Boston he knew he wouldn’t get the starting job over Rask, but the guy has been fantastic since signing with the Bruins. There’s no way with his play (he could start for almost any team) that he is ok being a backup. Legit the Bruins should think of starting him in the playoffs. Anyway maybe should have posted this in the Bruins forum. My bad.

The Bruins should start him in the playoffs over a guy who was their far away Conn Smythe winner if they won game 7?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
You say this like I’m insane. I was on the Bruins board last year and there was tons of people asking for Halak.

Rask started slow against Toronto, there may have been a couple questionable goals in the first 3 games, but he dominated game 7 against the Leafs, clearly outdueled Bobrovsky, then shut down Carolina altogether. Honestly had a great finals too up until game seven. I don't recall anyone calling for Halak to replace him at any point after game 3 of the first round.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
He has a pretty decent chance of earning his second Jennings Trophy. He's getting paid nearly $3m to play for a team that was a win away from a Cup and is a contender for another deep run. At age 34, he's not going to get a lot more chances at that.

Reactions: tardigrade81

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Rask started slow against Toronto, there may have been a couple questionable goals in the first 3 games, but he dominated game 7 against the Leafs, clearly outdueled Bobrovsky, then shut down Carolina altogether. Honestly had a great finals too up until game seven. I don't recall anyone calling for Halak to replace him at any point after game 3 of the first round.
I was more less talking about the leafs series. He was super solid after that though. Good to have Halak though if Rask struggles.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Yes. That's why he signed here. No Boston shouldn't consider him over Rask in the playoffs. Rask just had one of the best runs in recent years comparable if not better than his 2013 run.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Very underrated goalie, I hope we get the chance to see him play in the playoffs again before he retires.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Very underrated goalie, I hope we get the chance to see him play in the playoffs again before he retires.
How is he inderrated in this thread ?

Excellent 1b/2 goalie.

Breaks down after 45-50 games.

Which means that you can't rely on him for a 4-round playoff run all by himself.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Guys had a lot ups and downs in his career and not much stability. He’s been a starter before, I think he’s just happy to be playing well and on a contender with some stability.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Halak is the best backup in the game. Everytime he's been put in the starter/1A role he's struggled since he has endurance issues.

But as Rask's backup he's in ideal spot for him, and Bruins are happy to have a really good backup.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Halak has typically struggled (both with injuries and consistency) when he's been the go-to guy in the past.

Some years ago there were exactly opposite thoughts : It was often said, if Halak didnt play lot minutes, his performance dropped significantly.

For now, there is very much + in his Boston journey. Here are some of them:
- he had a family, so he dont need the stress of Nr. one goalie
- lives in a good city, where is ice hockey popular. So he can have some flashlights
- very good team with chance to win the Cup
- travel times are for most very comfortable. Even if he want to fly to Slovakia

Reactions: Dazed and Confused

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
He’s terrible if you over play him. It’s why he’s in his mid 30’s and never been a true starter outside of a single season despite being in the league since 22.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Obviously since he signed with Boston he knew he wouldn’t get the starting job over Rask, but the guy has been fantastic since signing with the Bruins. There’s no way with his play (he could start for almost any team) that he is ok being a backup. Legit the Bruins should think of starting him in the playoffs. Anyway maybe should have posted this in the Bruins forum. My bad.

Playing on the Bruins & their D system helps too. I doubt that he'd be in this situation performance-wise in most places elsewhere.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Speaking as Halak's agent here, i can confirm that he is ok today but at some point, will snap and take over the Bruins net after Rask is found tied up in the dressing room and suffers from shock.

Reactions: tardigrade81

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad