Is Gus Nyquist Slumping?

Aug 6, 2012
No. I've been complaining about it since last season. He does too many flybys, too many soft "checks" on the puck carrier, too much slowing down when he should be racing for the puck. His first full season was incredible. He was gritty, greasy, hard. He dug in real good and battled. After that it seemed like he got way softer knowing his production was enough to protect his roster spot. It's really frustrating.

Exactly what I see too. I think it had to do with playing under Babcock to be honest.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Exactly what I see too. I think it had to do with playing under Babcock to be honest.
I don't think so.

He played like that last season as well which was under Babs. I called it out but he was producing so I don't think people cared.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
I remember us lobbying for him to be in the NHL and how happy we were when he scored. We would call it EXPLOSION. I dont know whats going on with the kid. :shakehead

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I kept saying all nyquist did was score on the powerplay. Powerplay sucks this year. That's more on the pp coach then nyquist though

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Know it's been brought up already, but just to flesh it out -- he's on pace for ~7 less PP points, and ~5 less PP goals. If the PP were clicking, he'd probably be more or less on the same pace for last year. The whole disappearing act thing with Nyquist isn't new (see playoffs last season). Most disappointing thing for me is that he seems to have plateaued, just like Tats and Sheahan. Had high hopes for this team this season in large part because I thought those guys would continue to take a step forward. Hasn't been the case yet. Hopefully they breakout in the second half here.

No. I've been complaining about it since last season. He does too many flybys, too many soft "checks" on the puck carrier, too much slowing down when he should be racing for the puck. His first full season was incredible. He was gritty, greasy, hard. He dug in real good and battled. After that it seemed like he got way softer knowing his production was enough to protect his roster spot. It's really frustrating.

Noticed that pattern beginning to form last season. When he was the goto guy in 2013-14 with Dats and Hank out, he was clutch. Definitely the most noticeable guy on the ice night in, night out. Maybe he would thrive in a bigger role once the old-gaurd's gone? Or maybe that's wishful thinking and he's gotten complacent like ya said.

Could also be that he's a known commodity in the league by now, and other teams are on him harder (starting to see that happen with Larkin now). Anyones guess really what's going on there.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Ghostav Nyquist is upon us.

THRHXmc.jpg

Actual Thought*

He got his contract and nobody is pushing him. Even great players need to be held accountable. Given Nyquist's "soft tendencies" he needs to be pushed to grind a bit more.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Idk I feel like nyquist could be a kessel type and not care

Idk if it's lack of caring, i think he's just a stronger PP player than ES player and our PP has been so poor that he looks worse than usual. He could easily pick his game up and put up 50+

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Idk if it's lack of caring, i think he's just a stronger PP player than ES player and our PP has been so poor that he looks worse than usual. He could easily pick his game up and put up 50+

Yes Sir. His playoff production scares me though.

Probert

Feb 27, 2008
Boston, MA
Nyquist isn't in a slump, he's just too soft to play in the league. He doesn't like to go to the tough areas in front of the net, and he gets knocked off the puck easily. Combined with the fact that his defensive play is laughable just makes it that much tougher to justify keeping him on the roster. He's supposed to be a top 6 forward who puts up points but he's not delivering. He's had plenty of time to adjust to the NHL too, time to cut our losses and move on.

When I read that article earlier in the week about the speculation out there regarding Stamkos being signed and dealt to Detroit, I didn't hesitate a nanosecond in agreeing to Gus being part of the package. Mantha is tough to give up on, but we're talking Stamkos. Smith and Marchenko were included in the rumor as well. Tough but worth it. Need to give some to gain some. Stamkos and Larkin to carry the torch after Z and Pav? I'm in.

But I digressed. Big time. I'm sorry.

Gus just hasn't been good enough. Not this season. Not last season. Not any playoffs. He needs a fresh start somewhere else.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
Nyquist isn't in a slump, he's just too soft to play in the league. He doesn't like to go to the tough areas in front of the net, and he gets knocked off the puck easily. Combined with the fact that his defensive play is laughable just makes it that much tougher to justify keeping him on the roster. He's supposed to be a top 6 forward who puts up points but he's not delivering. He's had plenty of time to adjust to the NHL too, time to cut our losses and move on.

When I read that article earlier in the week about the speculation out there regarding Stamkos being signed and dealt to Detroit, I didn't hesitate a nanosecond in agreeing to Gus being part of the package. Mantha is tough to give up on, but we're talking Stamkos. Smith and Marchenko were included in the rumor as well. Tough but worth it. Need to give some to gain some. Stamkos and Larkin to carry the torch after Z and Pav? I'm in.

But I digressed. Big time. I'm sorry.

Gus just hasn't been good enough. Not this season. Not last season. Not any playoffs. He needs a fresh start somewhere else.

We better waive him, then. Nobody's going to want to trade for a player that can't play in the league.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I personally view it as nothing more than a typical slump that all players experience throughout their careers.

Although the anemic PP isn't doing him any favors either. He had seven more points while on the PP after 43 games last season.

9PPG's and 6 PP assists last season after 43.

5PPG's and 3 PP assists so far this season.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Hoping so as well. Good effort tonite. Got two great backhand passes to Abby in mind and a couple of good plays.
Happy for him to show up on the score sheet again. Got a rough time behind him. Time to get back on track.

HomersWorld

Mar 8, 2012
Yep. He was taking everything to the inside of the ice all night tonight. Good step towards getting back on track.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Its interesting, if you watch his goals from last season they seem to come in two varieties - garbage goals around the net, or wristers from between the faceoff dots. And yes, a lot of them on the PP. PP is poor this year, is Nyquist's lack of production a cause or an effect of this....?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad