Is Gus Nyquist Slumping?

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
So, whats up with him?

Recent production has come to a halt; just 2 assists his past 10 GP.

He's getting knocked off the puck way too easily even by his standards and has been invisible for a while now.

Just a mid season slump, or something more? I personally expected him to take a step forward this season, but that obviously hasn't happened.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Probably come into 10 goals in 25/30 games after all star break or around

Doesn't matter what he does. If he doesn't score in the playoffs this year it's over imo. Way too long. Datsyuk figured it out by now. So you can't use that excuse

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He's in a slump. Could be nursing an injury, who knows. Looks kinda like he did late last season when he was supposedly not 100%.

HomersWorld

Mar 8, 2012
I actually thought he had taken a step forward at the beginning of the season. His two way play has certainly improved to my eyes.

But, biggest thing thats evidently still missing is his consistency. He's in a slump, but he's gotta do a bit more to get himself out of it. Can't keep deferring to people or playing the perimeter.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I actually thought he had taken a step forward at the beginning of the season. His two way play has certainly improved to my eyes.

But, biggest thing thats evidently still missing is his consistency. He's in a slump, but he's gotta do a bit more to get himself out of it. Can't keep deferring to people or playing the perimeter.

this is the way i see it.

i didn't expect him to take big step forward, i think what we saw last year is pretty much what we get. i though he could score a bit ore as i expected blashill to play bit more offensive system. but it's not, much more like babcock's system than the one he had in place in AHL.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I think he's nursing an injury. He's just so soft with the puck. He used to be able to protect it much better. I'm calling a wrist or shoulder injury.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Wings fans are probably being overly critical. He set his own standard very high 2 seasons ago with 48 points in 57 games, basically carried this team on his back to make the playoffs. For one long stretch of games he was the hottest goalscorer in the NHL. He's been quiet recently but is nearly on pace for the 54 points he had last season. I remember Gus getting more PP goals but now either he's on the #2 unit or not being used as the shooter something is different. His linemates haven't been tearing it up either so his goals and assists are down. Also same for the entire league- offense #'s are low 40 points(or lower) is the new 50.

I was disappointed earlier this year but think expectations of Nyquist have to be kept realistic.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
He's a slower skater these days. I thought it was because he might have out on some muscle in the offseason but he's just as soft ad ever so idk

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
The entire team is hurting for offense right now. But I think Gus is at his best when he has some time and space, and there is basically none of that lately. The Wings have been involved in some mucky, grindy games lately, so it's no surprise their finesse guys are having a hard time. In general, it's becoming a tough league for east/west players.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The entire team is hurting for offense right now. But I think Gus is at his best when he has some time and space, and there is basically none of that lately. The Wings have been involved in some mucky, grindy games lately, so it's no surprise their finesse guys are having a hard time. In general, it's becoming a tough league for east/west players.

He has created that space for himself in the past with his skating though. Also is a very good PP player, and the garbage PP has really hurt the stats of the guys who rely on PP production.

Nyquist has been disappointing for me so far. We know he is a more productive player than this.

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
I don't believe I said it on this board but I've said in person to many of my friends that I believe Tatar and Nyquist to be redundant players. They provide a lot of the same skill set. Both good shooters, good skaters, offensively gifted smallish players. I expect both of them to be streaky because all wingers besides the elite ones are. When it's going good, it's usually going really good. The difference between Nyquist and Tatar is that Tatar plays bigger than he actually is. He is not afraid to drive the net, while Nyquist plays the perimeter. Most people from what I have seen in the past would put Tatar's name in a trade scenario while I always would use Nyquist to raised eyebrows. I just believe Tatar is the better player and provides more to the team at less cost.

I hope Nyquist turns it around because we need it desperately. This team cannot score.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I wouldn't even say Gus is doing that poorly right now. Nothing's going in for him but he's generally responsible with the puck and he's creating some space for himself and others. He gains the zone with possession.

I'm much more frustrated with Tatar, Richards, Glendening.

HOCKEYTOWN1990

Feb 9, 2010
I don't believe I said it on this board but I've said in person to many of my friends that I believe Tatar and Nyquist to be redundant players. They provide a lot of the same skill set. Both good shooters, good skaters, offensively gifted smallish players. I expect both of them to be streaky because all wingers besides the elite ones are. When it's going good, it's usually going really good. The difference between Nyquist and Tatar is that Tatar plays bigger than he actually is. He is not afraid to drive the net, while Nyquist plays the perimeter. Most people from what I have seen in the past would put Tatar's name in a trade scenario while I always would use Nyquist to raised eyebrows. I just believe Tatar is the better player and provides more to the team at less cost.

I hope Nyquist turns it around because we need it desperately. This team cannot score.

Thank you, I totally agree with this.

I for one am not a big fan of Nyquist, he holds on to the puck way to long, he is a terrible passer, he is weak in the corners and his defensive game is not the greatest either. If you don't believe me start watching him more closely, he really doesn't do much for this team except for the occasional goal. The only time I see him making any sort of big impact is during 3 on 3.

With that being said we have all seen glimpses of what he can do, I am hoping for that in the latter parts of the regular season and hopefully the playoffs. but it is hard for players like Nyquist to succeed in the playoffs. Basically if Nyquist is not putting the puck in the net he is useless.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
When it comes to hockey IQ, Tats is nowhere near Gus. More often than not did Gus show that his play isn't the same anymore and that he's capable of making fantastic plays. Earlier this season, many of his assists weren't converted. Recently, we have neither goals, nor many fantastic plays 'cause he's having a hard time bringing it on the ice. Hard to deny that he's in a real slump and needs to get his **** together. Nevertheless, I tend to agree with Flowah: He's not that bad how many make him out to be. But yes: he can do much better. Our struggles in many games aren't helping either. Not worrying that he gets back on track though.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Tatar hasn't played bigger than he is this season at all, IMO. I've seen him to do it in the past though.

I expect more from both of them. Nyquist should be using his speed more, and Tatar should be playing greasier. That's what makes them better than they have been, IMO.

Aug 6, 2012
Both Nyquist and Tatar have definitely lost a step, which is pretty concerning considering they are pretty fresh in the league. I think they might have bulked up too much because that is not and never will be their game. I'm more worried about Tats because he is down there with Glenny in terms of actual on ice performance for a while now.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Nyquist is clearly struggling as of late. I wouldn't be shocked if he has some sort of lower body injury if only because he seems to be missing a lot of jump and stagnates a bit much when he doesn't have the puck. His game very much depends on movement. If he isn't moving well, he isn't going to be effective.

Someone made the point yesterday that the Wings are now very much a team in the truest sense. I tend to agree with this. Now more than ever, we really need Gus and Tatar to produce. More importantly, we cannot afford to have both Tatar and Gus slumping at the same time.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Easily the worst forward on the team the past 15 games. Not only is he invisible offensively, he is even worse defensively. He literally never wins a puck battle...ever. Watch closely next game, always gets knocked off the puck, never outmuscles or outworks anyone. One of the softest players in the NHL as far as I'm concerned.

Both Nyquist and Tatar have definitely lost a step, which is pretty concerning considering they are pretty fresh in the league. I think they might have bulked up too much because that is not and never will be their game. I'm more worried about Tats because he is down there with Glenny in terms of actual on ice performance for a while now.

Last 5 games:
Tat: GP5 G3 A1 PTS4
Nyq: GP5 G0 A1 PTS1

Nyquist has no goals and 2 assists in his last 10.

When it comes to hockey IQ, Tats is nowhere near Gus. More often than not did Gus show that his play isn't the same anymore and that he's capable of making fantastic plays. Earlier this season, many of his assists weren't converted. Recently, we have neither goals, nor many fantastic plays 'cause he's having a hard time bringing it on the ice. Hard to deny that he's in a real slump and needs to get his **** together. Nevertheless, I tend to agree with Flowah: He's not that bad how many make him out to be. But yes: he can do much better. Our struggles in many games aren't helping either. Not worrying that he gets back on track though.

Completely and wholeheartedly disagree. He is every bit as bad as people are saying. You must be biased for some reason....
I have been watching him closely for the past 10 games, and he is literally useless. He cannot win a puck battle to save his life. Sure players have a bad game here and there, well thats 16+ bad games in a row and counting. Enough is enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Completely and wholeheartedly disagree. He is every bit as bad as people are saying. You must be biased for some reason....
I have been watching him closely for the past 10 games, and he is literally useless. He cannot win a puck battle to save his life. Sure players have a bad game here and there, well thats 16+ bad games in a row and counting. Enough is enough.

He was one of our better forwards against Pittsburgh and Buffalo. You are exaggerating big time.

Last edited:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
How do you figure?

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
RvYWzCU.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad