Is goalie development a concern?

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
So I'm curious, do you feel that goalie development a concern here?

I know the team has had a grey past with internal development in general, but with goalies I still have some concerns. Dubynk, well ok ... he bounced around a few teams before claiming to have learned head tracking techniques from Ranford and company in the offseason.

I also believe that we since hired (Swartz) a new goalie coach since him.

Now I see Brossoit doing well in Winnipeg, none of the ahl goalies seem to be taking hold and Talbot struggling and I'm wondering.

Also, another question. How important is having experience in the nhl/ahl for being goalie coach? I don't think its important for head/Ass coaches because there is an element of tactics, strategy and commutation that are important, but for something as specific as goalie, shouldn't a person have a high level of experience in order to coach?

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
It definitely is.

Brossoit an interesting case. He's decent today and may have faltered early on with any organization although it seems like there has been no goaltending development here for a long time. Brossoit is good and will have a good career in the nhl, he'll bite us in the future for sure.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Pretty sure goalie development has been our weakest area throughout the history of our team.
That and the PP.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I mean, development across the board is a huge problem for this organization but yes. Our goalie coaches seem consistently terrible. No goalie ever gets better here. Nevermind the prospects, even the NHL level ones get consistently worse.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
It definitely is.

Brossoit an interesting case. He's decent today and may have faltered early on with any organization although it seems like there has been no goaltending development here for a long time. Brossoit is good and will have a good career in the nhl, he'll bite us in the future for sure.

I thought LB was going to be great here but the defense wasn't strong enough to help him out. I feel like the same thing happened with Dubnyk. The team just wasn't in a good place when those guys were with the Oilers.

Not that they are world beaters now but I think both guys would do well with the current roster.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The state of goaltending in general in this league and in all leagues, even the lowest and youngest is a travesty.

Big guy, go down on your knees the moment the puck crosses the blue line, stay on your knees and just take up space ala a lacrosse goalie. Any individuality style is beat out of these guys. You could line up 25 of the starting goalies in this league dress them in all white and you could not tell one from the other.

I know this is off in a tangent from the op but i really hate was tending has become at all levels.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Dubnyk claims that he learned some head tracking techniques in the offseason that year that turned his game completely around.
So someone figured out how to fix his game.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Dubnyk claims that he learned some head tracking techniques in the offseason that year that turned his game completely around.
So someone figured out how to fix his game.
Just saying that for everyone that hates on Schwartz is that he is big into the head tracking technology. Ask any goalie that’s worked with him.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Just saying that for everyone that hates on Schwartz is that he is big into the head tracking technology. Ask any goalie that’s worked with him.

Interesting. Dubynk was under a different goalie coach I believe then, but do you have an article that talks about this? cause I doubt I'm walking up to Talbot to talk about it :)

and for the record I do have doubts about Dustin as a goalie coach. He was a very poor goalie at the whl level so I would like to know what he has to offer more experienced goalies than himself.

At the end of the day (like any other coach) show me results. He's been here since 15/16.
Laurent if he can keep it up, is a red flag for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raoul Duke

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I thought LB was going to be great here but the defense wasn't strong enough to help him out. I feel like the same thing happened with Dubnyk. The team just wasn't in a good place when those guys were with the Oilers.

Not that they are world beaters now but I think both guys would do well with the current roster.

LB did have some stellar games here but like you stated the defence was pathetic when he was here. Too much of a small sample size for management as some understood his potential coming up with only a local team nearby in the Oil Kings.

I never thought the world of Dubnyk although same could be said about him obviously, the defence was atrocious during his tenure. Atrocious.

Reactions: TB12

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Interesting. Dubynk was under a different goalie coach I believe then, but do you have an article that talks about this? cause I doubt I'm walking up to Talbot to talk about it :)

and for the record I do have doubts about Dustin as a goalie coach. He was a very poor goalie at the whl level so I would like to know what he has to offer more experienced goalies than himself.

At the end of the day (like any other coach) show me results. He's been here since 15/16.
Laurent if he can keep it up, is a red flag for me.

Article from InGoal magazine:
Head Trajectory Part Of Dubnyk Bounce Back - InGoal Magazine

“He’s not alone. Dustin Schwartz, who was hired by the Oilers mid season, has been a big part of OR Sports since the beginning and on the ground floor developing Head Trajectory.”
*OR Sports is Optimum Reaction

I’m not saying Dusty is the best goalie coach in the world. Just that he was and is a big believer in head tracking and has been since the beginning, which many/most of the top goalies in the world are using.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Doesn't cases like Dubnyk and Brossoit show that we develop goalies fine?

It seems the real issue is supporting goalies on the ice, which is a different issue. I'm not convinced an elite established goalie could come to our team of the last few years and do well

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Goalie development is voodoo.

We have a good deal of irons in the fire. Hopefully one turns out but unfortunately even filling the organization with solid talent like we have means little.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops

It seems the real issue is supporting goalies on the ice, which is a different issue. I'm not convinced an elite established goalie could come to our team of the last few years and do well

Not when you hear that they took big strides in developing when they are on another team, but I do see your point.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Article from InGoal magazine:
Head Trajectory Part Of Dubnyk Bounce Back - InGoal Magazine

“He’s not alone. Dustin Schwartz, who was hired by the Oilers mid season, has been a big part of OR Sports since the beginning and on the ground floor developing Head Trajectory.”
*OR Sports is Optimum Reaction

I’m not saying Dusty is the best goalie coach in the world. Just that he was and is a big believer in head tracking and has been since the beginning, which many/most of the top goalies in the world are using.

Interesting, thanks. I knew Ranford, Mask n company, but I wasn't aware that Dustin was part of that.

My main criticism is how a person can coach someone more experienced really.
Like if Hitchcock was teaching skating skills or something haha
Sounds like Dustin has some technical sense though.

Reactions: TB12

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

I’d like to agree with this but I’m not sure it’s accurate because Mclellan flat out refused to play Broissalt unless he had no choice. If LB was looking good in practice you’d have to think he’d of gotten more starts than he did. I agree that he looks great behind Winnipeg’s defence and your point can be argued easily but I’m not convinced it’s just that. Might be yet another case of a guy either finding his motivation through a trade or maybe he just might be getting better instruction somewhere else after all.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Seems like whenever we trade for a goalie they start out good and slowly get worse over their duration here

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I'll be curious to see how our next group does.

We don't have one goalie that's faltering at the level he's playing at in the AHL/ECHL at the moment, other than Montoya. :|

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Defence is the tire fire on this team, and has been for a long, long time.

No elite dman, lack of puck movers, and zero depth, continually. From that mess, everything else on the team just gets amplified.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Goalie development is a concern around the league, such a crapshoot, I like the oilers approach of just throwing darts at the board and hoping one sticks.

As for Broissoit, he’s not a head goalie, and right now I’d still take Koskinen over him. Which the only other option was to offload Talbot last summer to keep which, which obviously didn’t make sense

Goalies are growing incredibly hard to predict, so if the oilers just pick a bunch one has to pan out at some point right?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Goalie development is voodoo.

We have a good deal of irons in the fire. Hopefully one turns out but unfortunately even filling the organization with solid talent like we have means little.
Exactly. Even for established starters play can vary wildly from season to season.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I’d like to agree with this but I’m not sure it’s accurate because Mclellan flat out refused to play Broissalt unless he had no choice. If LB was looking good in practice you’d have to think he’d of gotten more starts than he did. I agree that he looks great behind Winnipeg’s defence and your point can be argued easily but I’m not convinced it’s just that. Might be yet another case of a guy either finding his motivation through a trade or maybe he just might be getting better instruction somewhere else after all.
Todd's use of players is not a good example he seemed quite stubborn and didn't utilize players when it seemed he should. Big head syndrome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad