Is goalie development a concern?

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I honestly don't know how I feel about our goalie coach. Goaltending seems like such a crapshoot. Even the best goalies in the game have complete up and down years and so much of it seems to be for no good reason.

Its not uncommon for one year your goalie to be your mvp, the next people are talking about his career being done.

That said, It does concern me that the more time goalies spend in our system, the worse they appear to play.

When's the last time we had a goalie come here and play well after any amount of time?

Koskinen has been a great story this year, but I'd still be uncomfortable signing him to anything with term because of that history.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Historically, it gets even worse. Have we EVER developed a goalie that's also been a starter here?
Outside of a couple ok backups ... I wanna say it was in Fuhr .... in 81 ... think about that.

We trust other organizations to develop goaltenders for us, you know that. It seems safer.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Dubnyk claims that he learned some head tracking techniques in the offseason that year that turned his game completely around.
So someone figured out how to fix his game.
Dubnyk also admitted to not wanting to work on his game and finally realized that he had no choice, but to change.

With that being said. This team never really develops anything. Don't even know if the Oil Kings ever did all that much under Schwartz either.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Right, but the problem is ...... in 4 years ..... who has gotten better in our organization ahl or nhl ?

Historically, it gets even worse. Have we EVER developed a goalie that's also been a starter here?
Outside of a couple ok backups ... I wanna say it was in Fuhr .... in 81 ... think about that.
Maybe Tommy Salo? He was already one, but he seemed to get better here.

And of course Dubnyk

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Now we're seeing Koskinen start to regress. It's baffling how the goalie coach is still around, with all the terminations and change in the organization in the last decade. Goaltending has been Edmonton's weakest position since Roloson, we've had a carousel of goalies come and go, and then go on to have much more success elsewhere. Of course people will point to the weak d-core as the main cause of this, but Schwartz also has to be held accountable. It has to be more than a coincidence that every single goalie that comes through here gets destroyed, only to be re-born with another team, ala Dubnyk , Brossoit and Nilsson. Talbot will sign with another team in the summer, and watch him bolt up the goalie standings.

Along with gutting the entire management group, the goaltender coach needs to change as well, a fresh start for both parties might be the best remedy

Reactions: Patch101

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->