Confirmed with Link: Is Glen Sather Stepping Down? [UPDATE: Yes]

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
But he could teach Skjei a thing or two. The other two not so much. Its funny, a couple of weeks ago Niklas Lidstrøm was the expert on a Rangers game on Viasat. He spoke highly of Marc Staal and showed how crafty he was in his defending. Sadly many posters here on HF will never see or understand it.
Lol Marc Staal and crafty should never be used in the same sentence

FireGerardGallant

Mar 19, 2016
Again, what has he done that is so ecxeptional?
Instead of keeping it together and trying to do a quick retool he had the gonads to rebuild. If you don't understand why this is important look at teams like Detroit and Vancouver who refused to do this

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
Instead of keeping it together and trying to do a quick retool he had the gonads to rebuild. If you don't understand why this is important look at teams like Detroit and Vancouver who refused to do this
Gorton is the reason for the the now full rebuild. The guy originally wanted to retool on the fly but totally ruined it. That is why we are were we are now. And that is a fact whether you like it or not.

FireGerardGallant

Mar 19, 2016
Gorton is the reason for the the now full rebuild. The guy originally wanted to retool on the fly but totally ruined it. That is why we are were we are now. And that is a fact whether you like it or not.
This team needed a full rebuild eventually, and it's gone as good as it possibly can so far. Idc if at first he tried to retool, hes done great with the rebuild

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Again, what has he done that is so ecxeptional?

Hes going to go from having the team with the worst farm in the league to a team with the best one in 2 years time.

Thats pretty exceptional. Their first line center was also acquired by him, their best D this season? Yup, also by him, both of which were pretty unpopular moves.

They had to rebuild because they blew their wad trying to get a cup when they were close. No one is at fault for that (Sather, if you want to point fingers at anyone), because if there is a time to do that, that is the time to do it.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Hes going to go from having the team with the worst farm in the league to a team with the best one in 2 years time.

Thats pretty exceptional. Their first line center was also acquired by him, their best D this season? Yup, also by him, both of which were pretty unpopular moves.

They had to rebuild because they blew their wad trying to get a cup when they were close. No one is at fault for that (Sather, if you want to point fingers at anyone), because if there is a time to do that, that is the time to do it.
Seriously. Look at Stepan and Brassard today and compare to Zibanejad and DeAngelo today. Then remember we also got Andersson and a second in addition to both. How is that not excellent work?

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Save the attitude man.What has Gorton done? Traded the vets? Not exactly rocket science. Won the lottery. Gorton and his mismanagement of the team is the reason for the rebuild. The guy who caused the mess should never been asked to fix it. Never.
Are trolls not supposed to get attitude?

I'd love to hear what you would have done with this roster instead.

Go ahead. I'm all ears.

Reactions: Miamipuck

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Yep, they had a window to win and couldn't do it. They maybe misjudged and thought they could squeeze another run out of the group. When it became clear to them they couldn't, they tore it down, and, pretty amazingly, did it in a way where they acquired premium assets while also not actively trying to field the worst team in the league (which some fans, such as myself, appreciated!). I think it's hard to find much fault in Gorton, when you look at what he has done across the board.

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

STOP! Why are you inserting actual facts into this equation? Stop obfuscating the view.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
A GM who thinks the best way to develop Brady Skjei is to buy out Girardi and let Skjei play with Smith or Shattenkirk, should never bee near a hockey team. Or any team in sports for that matter.
Wow, this is one of the most baffling posts I’ve ever read on this site in my 10 years of posting here.

Whew lad.

Reactions: Miamipuck

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Want JD just for nostalgia's sake. Let Gorton continue to do his thing and get JD back in the booth 2-3 times a season for a segment or two so we can (hopefully) get a few ohhhhhhhhhHHHHHH BABY!'s and I can die happy.
I miss JD so effing much. I can't believe it's been nearly a decade and a half...

The way people in the 60s & 70s talk about Cronkite being a part of their living room, that's the way I felt about Sam & JD growing up.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yep, they had a window to win and couldn't do it. They maybe misjudged and thought they could squeeze another run out of the group. When it became clear to them they couldn't, they tore it down, and, pretty amazingly, did it in a way where they acquired premium assets while also not actively trying to field the worst team in the league (which some fans, such as myself, appreciated!). I think it's hard to find much fault in Gorton, when you look at what he has done across the board.

For sure.

Now was he lucky as hell that they won the lottery this year? 100%, but this is why you do it (the odds are stacked against everyone in the bottom 15 if we're being honest.)

What more impressive is just how much flexibility he has. There is still ammo to potentially trade into a 2nd top 10 pick this year (top 15 at the least), the cap situation isn't great in the short term, but the long term optics are very solid.

We're well on our way to being a premiere team in this league by the time the shitty contracts are gone, which is only 2 more seasons and I'd bet on us being a bubble team in the last of those years even if we do nothing else in UFA.

The only thing that hes done thats really pissed me off since declaring the rebuild is drafting the goalie in the 2nd round last year(not his fault directly, but he allowed it.) If thats the biggest blunder he makes in this process, we're golden.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad