Is Gamestop on borrowed time?

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Trade in value is $3, it is selling for $9.99

I don't get the happiness over a business failing, not only will there be people losing jobs and less jobs available overall, but there will be less places to get games, yeah you can order them online and get them in 2 days to a week but it's nice to be able to jump in the car, drive 5 minutes and have it in hand immediately

Sometimes their prices are higher, sometimes they are lower, shopping around isn't that hard if you have a phone

Me neither. It just gives us, the consumers fewer options. The majority of my experiences with Gamestop have been good and they have always been there in a pinch. I just don't buy physical copies anymore.

People slamming them for pushing other products like cards don't seem to understand how a business makes money. They needed to pay the bills somehow.

Sep 19, 2008
I have said time and time again I have no issue with gamestop nor am I badgered when I enter. Again you're just asked if you need anything and you just say "I'm just looking" and they don't really bother you after that. Sometimes you may inquire about upcoming releases. But I don't go there for games. No, I go there to browse the clearance bin and see what shit I can find on sale. Heck, I found a Captain Marvel mug for like 3 dollars in the bin. And an Agents of Shield lanyard.

Could be wrong but the last time I rushed to a gamestop to buy a game day of was GTA V. I purchased the Xbox version and just went to the mall and purchased it. Think it was even the last time I preordered at gamestop too.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I have said time and time again I have no issue with gamestop nor am I badgered when I enter. Again you're just asked if you need anything and you just say "I'm just looking" and they don't really bother you after that. Sometimes you may inquire about upcoming releases. But I don't go there for games. No, I go there to browse the clearance bin and see what shit I can find on sale. Heck, I found a Captain Marvel mug for like 3 dollars in the bin. And an Agents of Shield lanyard.

Could be wrong but the last time I rushed to a gamestop to buy a game day of was GTA V. I purchased the Xbox version and just went to the mall and purchased it. Think it was even the last time I preordered at gamestop too.

Every time I’m in there I’m asked at least a couple times. Often 3 or more. Like just leave me alone after the first time. Then if I actually do need help, they give me their thesis on the game I’m asking if they have and I’m generally too polite to tell them to shut up even though I really want to.

Reactions: Kid Icarus

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Every time I’m in there I’m asked at least a couple times. Often 3 or more. Like just leave me alone after the first time. Then if I actually do need help, they give me their thesis on the game I’m asking if they have and I’m generally too polite to tell them to shut up even though I really want to.

That's odd, in the last 20 I've never been asked more than once and the store is so small in most cases. They can talk to you from behind the counter. They always try to get me with their rewards card and I have no issue with that. Like every other retailer I tell them I'm fine and don't need it regardless of the discount.

Reactions: Roman Fell

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The one near my house recently went down under so now I just go to Best Buy since it's closer.

Kind of sad seeing Gamestop's decline.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
The closest gamestop to me just closed down, but I know of at least 3 or 4 more locations that are somewhat nearby. That gamestop was in a terrible location anyways with an awful parking lot.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
there is nothing that game stop does to add any value, or that you can’t get somewhere else. Fun to browse when passing by, but I can’t remember the last time I actually went there on purpose, let alone bought something. I’ll take my 5% Target card discount on the same products while simultaneously running errands.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
there is nothing that game stop does to add any value, or that you can’t get somewhere else. Fun to browse when passing by, but I can’t remember the last time I actually went there on purpose, let alone bought something. I’ll take my 5% Target card discount on the same products while simultaneously running errands.
Amazon also crushed them during those 2 years when they first starting selling video games and offered 20% off all preorders if you were a prime member. I mean how much better of a deal is that? I took my business to Amazon and never looked back.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Amazon also crushed them during those 2 years when they first starting selling video games and offered 20% off all preorders if you were a prime member. I mean how much better of a deal is that? I took my business to Amazon and never looked back.
very true.

I was more referring to brick and mortar locations only since there was a poster who pointed out that there are clear advantages to being able to buy something and not have to wait a few days for it to show up.

Their biggest problem is that they aren't the best at anything, and just being a cool place to browse while your wife buys shoes in the store next door isn't a sustainable business model.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Their whole business model was "come here to trade in your used games and use that to buy something else here in the store". Which was awesome for a long time. It used to be that you could trade in 2-3 AAA games and basically cover the cost of whatever new game you wanted to buy. Then they started getting real skimpy with the value of trade-ins. I stopped going there 6-7 years ago when i went to trade in some games (I think it was Halo 4 and NHL 13) so i could buy NHL 14. I think i got $9 in-store credit or something like that.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Their entire business model is on life support as the digital market continues to grow. Sony announcing a disk-less PS5 for a lower price will only accelerate their demise.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
If GameStop does hypothetically go under, I wonder if we will see the space for small, niche gaming shops to make a bit of a comeback?

Eh. Some of these small, niche retro gaming shops that are opening up again gouge the price of old games. I think I saw 35 bucks for Tekken 3, and 45 for Pokemon Crystal :thumbd::eek:
Not trying to advocate this, but you can buy a bootleg flash cart of Pokemon Crystal that will work perfectly fine for 5 bucks.

I wish that some of these places would have a machine that buffs out the scratches on discs. Not one in my area does, but there is one place that I have to go across state lines to get the discs cleaned and scratches removed. (guess it's worth it)

The highest I've ever seen a PS1 game go was Parrapa The Rapper - nearly 60 bucks at a retro game store, USED.

Naster Okan

Jan 8, 2019
Eh. Some of these small, niche retro gaming shops that are opening up again gouge the price of old games. I think I saw 35 bucks for Tekken 3, and 45 for Pokemon Crystal :thumbd::eek:
Not trying to advocate this, but you can buy a bootleg flash cart of Pokemon Crystal that will work perfectly fine for 5 bucks.

I wish that some of these places would have a machine that buffs out the scratches on discs. Not one in my area does, but there is one place that I have to go across state lines to get the discs cleaned and scratches removed. (guess it's worth it)

The highest I've ever seen a PS1 game go was Parrapa The Rapper - nearly 60 bucks at a retro game store, USED.
You really don’t want to look up Sega Saturn games then. The majority of them start at 60 and only go up from there. PS2 games like Kuon and Rule of Rose sell for at least 500 a copy nowadays.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
If you really want to play those games you can pretty much pirate them guilt-free. The developers do not get a single cent from buying from some third party that is just looking to make a quick buck.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
If you really want to play those games you can pretty much pirate them guilt-free. The developers do not get a single cent from buying from some third party that is just looking to make a quick buck.

Exactly. I guess in my case with PS1 games, can't understand how Parappa the Rapper is that expensive. Wasn't even that good of a game back in the day, nor now.

Sep 19, 2008
I saw a Gamestop at the mall yesterday they were doing okay. Only 5 people allowed in the store though because of social distancing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad