Is Gamestop on borrowed time?

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Someone remind me again why digital is better? Because a $40 convenience tax doesn't seem like a good trade off.

D-g88E-WwAAvzl0.jpg:large

D-g8_rtXkAApTYT.jpg:large

What are you referring to?

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Many digital platforms see fantastic sales (The PC stores, Xbox seems decent) but others often lag behind in that regard (PlayStation, Nintendo).

Sep 19, 2008
I don't see the issue with game stop they sell discounted geek shit which yall should flock over

Sep 19, 2008
It's becoming obsolete with the masses going digital.
It is not obsolete. People want physical copies of games for collecting. Plus they sell shit on their discount rack. They had a whole lot of my hero academia or whatever that anime is called. Bunch of loot boxes and shit.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
It is not obsolete. People want physical copies of games for collecting. Plus they sell shit on their discount rack. They had a whole lot of my hero academia or whatever that anime is called. Bunch of loot boxes and shit.
so then why do you think the company is on the verge of going under?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I was always pretty loyal to the idea of having a physical copy and was a regular at EB to get my games but two things happened...my disc drive died on me so I cant get physical copies lol and then also getting games tax free on the PS4....getting the game $10 cheaper ads up pretty quick.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
If I had a better internet connection I might have gone digital fulltime. It just takes me hours upon hours to download even small updates. So I still value gamestop to get the physical copies because it won't take as long, it doesn't take as much storage vs digital, plus I can can trade them in for new games that I want. I don't think the convenience of not having a disk and no tax makes it that much more worth my while.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
I used to be pro physical, but digital has just become too convenient. Well, sort of. Now we have all these separate launchers that we gotta have downloaded in order to play a game. Anyway physical is pretty much dead. I think the only way Gamestop can survive is by becoming a niche gaming store for hardcore geeks like some of those other hobby shops.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Gamestop shot themselves in the foot when they tried to rip everyone off with ridiculous low re-sell values. I used to bring back my physical games to make a little money that I would in return use to buy another game there.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Gamestop shot themselves in the foot when they tried to rip everyone off with ridiculous low re-sell values. I used to bring back my physical games to make a little money that I would in return use to buy another game there.
If they were smart they would've given more on resell and just write it off as their sales/discounts on new products. Create a loyal following, and expand from there.

Had them as a client for work we did, and they were a pain to work with. I'm not surprised by the inevitable failure.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

This is kind of my anecdotal experience with them, but I feel like somewhere around 2005-2010 they shifted their focus and priority to a quick turn around used market. So buy the new Call of Duty for $60 (CAD $$$), play the campaign, trade in in next week for a generous $30-35, then every time someone comes in looking to buy the new Call of Duty game they'll make a push on the customer to save $5 and buy a used copy for $55.

I stopped going there around 2008, but did they start offering even less on trade in for new games in the years after that? And of course there are the games that aren't quite new that they'd offer a pittance on, discouraging people from selling and reducing the market that I was in - the bargain hunting collector. There just came to a point where the offerings were less and less and no longer quite the 'bargain'. And of course it's not like you could go somewhere else because while in the 90's their were a lot of independent shops GameStop/EB Games dominated and monopolized the market.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Never really supported game stop to begin with as they’ve always given awful resell prices. Prices aren’t any cheaper than anywhere else and their workers are generally all the stereotypical geek who gives you a 10 minute opinion rant on a game if you ask them anything.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Never really supported game stop to begin with as they’ve always given awful resell prices. Prices aren’t any cheaper than anywhere else and their workers are generally all the stereotypical geek who gives you a 10 minute opinion rant on a game if you ask them anything.
Haha so true.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Theyre done. They wont survive Covid 19.

If any of their employees get sick I hope the sue the pants off of the executives that made this decision. What an arrogant, tone death, ridiculous decision. I would quit if I worked for them.

The struggling video game retail chain GameStop told all of its stores this afternoon to stay open even in the event of state or city lockdowns to protect against the covid-19 pandemic, emphasizing that it is “essential retail” alongside groceries and pharmacies and should therefore be exempt from enforced closures.
“Due to the products we carry that enable and enhance our customers’ experience in working from home, we believe GameStop is classified as essential retail and therefore is able to remain open during this time,” the retailer said in a memo to staff this afternoon, obtained by Kotaku.

GameStop: We Can Stay Open During Lockdowns Because We're 'Essential Retail'

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
good idea to short this company?
I just wouldn't bother. There are many mutual funds, ETFs, or stocks that have tanked, but will inevitably boom once the economy gets through this crisis. It's more of a long-term play as we don't know when that will happen, but plenty of opportunity for people with the funds.

Gamestop could get a bump with next-gen console sales, but they have to make it there to get that.

Reactions: Ainec

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->