Is FF 15 worth it?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
It is very much like FFXII: great story on paper but it is told in the worst possible way.

This is also why I can't muster any enthusiasm for FFVIIR: we already know the story.
There is a lot more to the story now and they turned it into an amazing game, well more than it was.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
There is a lot more to the story now and they turned it into an amazing game, well more than it was.
For the main game, they actually added very little. They added a short cutscene explaining why ifrit is a villain and that's about it as far as I know. The dlc I don't know never bought it.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
Ok I see now I was wrong about the car wax.

It's under car upgrades. I just never bothered to check them out until yesterday.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Most people agree the stories have been pretty much crap since 10 , which is the last game the old guard were fully hands on with before getting promoted or leaving.

I think the FF tactics creator worked on half of 12 but was fired and the main character changed from basch to vaan.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Most people agree the stories have been pretty much crap since 10 , which is the last game the old guard were fully hands on with before getting promoted or leaving.

I think the FF tactics creator worked on half of 12 but was fired and the main character changed from basch to vaan.
Yep. Sakaguchi was the heart and soul of the company, and his influence was pretty much the sole reason the company had creative integrity from I-IX. After the merge between Square and Enix, he started getting iced out by the profit motives of the company and eventually said **** this and left after XI. Matsuno was the only other guy remaining with integrity/storytelling talent (with games like Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story) and he was put in charge of XII, but he eventually got fed up with butting heads with the company's methods and quit/was fired as well. The half of XII that is actually good is all Matsuno, and everything else is pretty much consistent with what the company devolved into. Even Uematsu, the guy behind their great music left around that same time.

Now it's Nomura essentially running the show, a guy who was at one point a strong character designer, but as a full on director resembles guys like George Lucas or David Cage-- An egotistical hack with absolutely abysmal artistic sensibilities but is convinced he's a creative genius.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Now what really bugs me the most is this: for single player FF games from From 1991-2001 Square produced FFIV - FFX. Seven games in a 10 year span, most of them amazing - I count five personally but it will vary. Post FFX from 2002-2016 and counting we got... XII, XIII, and XV. I haven't gotten to XV yet but really only XII was good. Yeah modern development takes longer but what's the point if the games aren't even as good? I don't know how exactly you'd fix it but simply from a customer perspective this has always bugged me the most. Much easier to swallow a disappointment like, II, V or VIII (relative and to personal opinion) if you have two great games around it in relative close succession. Nothing like waiting an entire console generation then just getting... FFXIII.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
I noticed that I must have bought FF 8 during a steam sale a while back (I have so many unplayed games). Since I'm kind of winding down on FF 15 I figured "what the heck" and downloaded it.

Oh my God - I can't believe I thought the combat system in FF 15 was bad. Trying to figure out the system in FF 8 is like parsing through a confusing IT manual. What is even going on? And every time you think "Thats enough info" there goes another obtuse tutorial.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Disagree about X. Its a fine game. XIII and XV are about the same levels of terribleness just presented differently.

X and XIII are structured the same: go up most of the time and fight. People just have more nostalgia for X.

Of course that doesn't mean I think people have to like both or neither. Different characters, stories, settings and combat make them plenty different.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
To me, X feels like it's the more modern sensibilities of Square desperately trying to make something that still meets the standards of the classics. It doesn't feel quite right, isn't able to land that attempt, feels very shallow and emotionally manipulative in comparison, and I personally find it bad overall, but at least the attempt at beauty is there.

XIII and XV are just high-production-value pure trash, devoid of anything resembling real value or motivation-- I'd go as far as to say that I don't even respect them anymore than some stupid thing that David Cage makes, personally. They're arguably better than FFII (which is borderline unplayable) and that's about it, IMO.

For me, it goes
Very Good: IV, VI, VII, Tactics
Good: IX, V, VIIR
Hit or Miss: VIII, XII
Bad: X, III, I
Terrible: XIII, XV, II, X-2

Last edited:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
It's crazy there's no definitive version of this game. Even the royal edition and season pass don't include episode ardyn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad