Is FF 15 worth it?

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
I've played though the combat tutorial twice (thee times if you count playing through it like a year ago) and the whole system just seems janky as hell. I'm still not comfortable.

Is this game worth learning this frustrating fighting system? I enjoy FF games in general for the weird stories.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I've played though the combat tutorial twice (thee times if you count playing through it like a year ago) and the whole system just seems janky as hell. I'm still not comfortable.

Is this game worth learning this frustrating fighting system? I enjoy FF games in general for the weird stories.
Just get FF7 remake on Friday. I couldn’t really get into 15

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

If open world games are your thing - Yes.
If stunning visual graphics are your thing - Yes.
If a great story is important - No.
If button mashers are not your thing - No.

FF XV is a beautiful open world game with a borderline nonsensical story and simplistically boring combat.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
No, unless you only care about production values. Otherwise, it's kind of trash, IMO. The story is easily the worst part-- much worse than the combat system that you're frustrated with.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
It's alright, but just get it on sale and don't waste your time on sidequests, they're extremely low quality.

You probably won't understand the ending without googling, but other than that you'll enjoy the weekend with the boys simulator.

The combat isn't good though no, just turn the difficulty down.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
I liked it for the gameplay. Story was pretty bland and broken feeling but I had a blast with the battle system and open world

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Unremarkable but also difficult to say because afaik they've patched like a million things about that game since the time I beat it.

Nier Automata came out a few months later and was better in every way other than budget.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
I ended up playing a few hours. I guess the combat isn't anything to worry about in the actual game. lol- You just jump into the middle of the action, hold the circle button, and watch for the square icon.

If your health gets low you look for one of the points to warp to or find cover. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I haven't come close to dying once. I'm to the point where you find the first epic weapons (about level 11 or 12). FF 15 doesn't seem like anything earth shattering but its kind of cathartic in a way to play a mindless game.

I'll keep going for now but something tells me I doubt I see the end.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I finished most of FFXV and enjoyed the time I spent with it. I hadn’t realized that I could travel back in time(or was expected to?) and was under leveled for the final chapter. Rather than grinding it out I just never really went back to it, weird given how much time I sunk in, but I just haven’t had the desire. I enjoyed it more than XIII. It feels closer to the PS2/PSONE entries in that regard. If you can get it for cheap and don’t mind weird cup of noodle endorsements, and the strange sexualization of bikini clad mechanics I say go for it.

The combat is great, the visuals are impressive and the story is strong, if a little drawn out. You’ll be tired of driving by end and the story just sort of falls apart in the later half but it’s still a good romp.

Reactions: tealhockey

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I finished most of FFXV and enjoyed the time I spent with it. I hadn’t realized that I could travel back in time(or was expected to?) and was under leveled for the final chapter. Rather than grinding it out I just never really went back to it, weird given how much time I sunk in, but I just haven’t had the desire. I enjoyed it more than XIII. It feels closer to the PS2/PSONE entries in that regard. If you can get it for cheap and don’t mind weird cup of noodle endorsements, and the strange sexualization of bikini clad mechanics I say go for it.

The combat is great, the visuals are impressive and the story is strong, if a little drawn out. You’ll be tired of driving by end and the story just sort of falls apart in the later half but it’s still a good romp.
I thought the story was not strong at all. Absolutely the weak point in the game and IMO stories need to be amazing in a FF game, this was not.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Nyx should have been the main character of the game. Hes a better and more interesting character then Noctis ever was. My favourite part of XV was the tie in movie.

XV is a jumbled pile of crap. The combat is shallow, but its complicated to understand. Not sure how the hell they so efficiently managed that. No female characters is a dumb decision this day and age. Cooking, camping, etc are irritating and weird even for a Japanese game.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
The game feels unfinished in certain ways. It lacks the polish normally associated with the best FF games.

For example:

You get a quest to find some car wax for Cindy. When you bring it back to her she says something to the effect of "it'll improve your gas mileage. If you need help putting it on let me know". So I went to the car expecting option to apply it. Nothing. I go back to her expecting an option for her to help apply it. Nothing. I check my inventory. It's not there.

I guess I have to assume it was applied?

Wandering around I came across a quest where a guy cries out for help anxiously. You're supposed to follow the voice, so I started running around expecting a battle to help him, or maybe a trap of some sort. But the guy is right there, a few feet away, sitting behind a trailer. I gave him a potion.... and that's it. No more dialogue. It felt weirdly stilted, like an unfinished quest.

The Italian guy sends you to find an amethyst. I went to the location and nothing was there. Suddenly you get attacked by guys dropping out of a big ship. They were disposed of easily. Still no amethyst. I wandered around a bit not sure what to do. About a minute later, another wave. Same thing. About a minute later, same thing. About a minute later, same thing. I honesty didn't know what was going on. Was I triggering these attacks by staying in the area? After 5 or 6 waves the amethyst appeared on the ground magically. The game gives no indication of what's happening or your progress in the mission. At least I almost died for the first time.

Again, you just have to assume. I almost left the area to go back and talk to the guy who gave the quest to find out what was going on.

Last edited:

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
The game feels unfinished in certain ways. It lacks the polish normally associated with the best FF games.

For example:

You get a quest to find some car wax for Cindy. When you bring it back to her she says something to the effect of "it'll improve your gas mileage. If you need help putting it on let me know". So I went to the car expecting option to apply it. Nothing. I go back to her expecting an option for her to help apply it. Nothing. I check my inventory. It's not there.

I guess I have to assume it was applied?

Wandering around I came across a quest where a guy cries out for help anxiously. You're supposed to follow the voice, so I started running around expecting a battle to help him, or maybe a trap of some sort. But the guy is right there, a few feet away, sitting behind a trailer. I gave him a potion.... and that's it. No more dialogue. It felt weirdly stilted, like an unfinished quest.

The Italian guy sends you to find an amethyst. I went to the location and nothing was there. Suddenly you get attacked by guys dropping out of a big ship. They were disposed of easily. Still no amethyst. I wandered around a bit not sure what to do. About a minute later, another wave. Same thing. About a minute later, same thing. About a minute later, same thing. I honesty didn't know what was going on. Was I triggering these attacks by staying in the area? After 5 or 6 waves the amethyst appeared on the ground magically. The game gives no indication of what's happening or your progress in the mission. At least I almost died for the first time.

Again, you just have to assume. I almost left the area to go back and talk to the guy who gave the quest to find out what was going on.
Yeah it has warts for sure. There are positives like I thought the open world was cool at first and the characters are kind of fun. It's not one of the best games on ps4 or anything but I enjoyed playing it

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The dropship are actual random battles. They'll keep coming regardless of where you are. The amethyst was always there.

But yes all the sidequests are complete trash don't waste your time on any of them outside of maybe a few hours on Cids weapon upgrades to get the ultima blade.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
I wouldn't recommend it. It's (probably) like dating a girl who is a 10 for looks, but that's also her IQ. Not too much in the way of memorable moments, story instantly forgettable too. Combat system, as you pointed out, is not good at all.

Last edited:

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
The dropship are actual random battles. They'll keep coming regardless of where you are. The amethyst was always there.

I could be wrong of course but I swear I remember my boy band getting a load of experience after defeating the last wave. Makes me think the waves were part of the quest.

Salvage21

Jan 11, 2009
The Poconos, PA
It’s on game pass for pc. I’ve been considering playing it for a while. My girlfriend actually bought me a PS4 copy when it first came out knowing that FF6 means so much to me. It was a nice gesture. I tried it but it was really clunky and had a terrible frame rate plus I wasn’t a big fan of the main characters combat abilities. I should get a decent frame rate with my pc. And I read that you’re able to use whatever character you want for battles. That’s interesting me. Honestly, I’ve been holding out for ff12 to release - never played that one.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Yeah I’ll echo what everyone said that it’s decent but not great

A few major complaints from me:

- the weapon I used was always pretty much whatever the most recent shop was selling. All the legendary weapons felt awful to use and there wasn’t anything better you’d find along the way. Kind of weird for an RPG game

- the magic abilities would just kill your teammates more often than not. I don’t know if I missed something but every time I’d try to use a magic spell it would hurt my team too because they’re all up close fighting the same bad guy I was freezing/shocking/etc

- the product placement was hilariously bad. If you’ve played you know. The cup noodles mission makes me laugh just thinking about. And the Coleman stuff was so blatant as well

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
I like that you can listen to the FF 7 soundtrack while you drive around.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I thought the story was not strong at all. Absolutely the weak point in the game and IMO stories need to be amazing in a FF game, this was not.

It is very much like FFXII: great story on paper but it is told in the worst possible way.

This is also why I can't muster any enthusiasm for FFVIIR: we already know the story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad