Is Exercise really necessary when you are on a diet?

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
If you're at a calorie deficit you will lose weight. Doesn't matter how you do it. I won't eat carbs, I will only eat during these times, .... it's all ways of limiting your calories.

So yes you can do it through diet alone. As other have stated you will lose out on a lot of the benefits that both cardio and strength training will provide. Might not seem like a big deal now but will absolutely help when you get older.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Kind've random but I've recently been eating frozen grapes. Wasn't a huge fan at first because they're such a different texture than eating grapes normally. Now, though, I'm a frozen grape addict. Honestly better than candy and you can't even eat them that quickly, not that grapes have many calories in them to begin with but yeah. Highly recommend to anyone who has a sweet tooth and loves to eat dessert while watching netflix/TV at night.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I think it's key to recognize what type of lifestyles you live, and under what conditions your body will gain weight, stay a constant weight, or lose weight.

When I don't work out, and I eat whatever I want, I gain weight. (Shocking, I know!)

Most of the time I'm taking it easy. I'll either work out regularly OR eat pretty healthy. Unless I'm much heavier than I normally am, just doing one of these doesn't do much. But I like it and I tend to stay within a weight range.

When I decide to go into weight loss (aka fat burning) mode, I will work out regularly AND eat healthy.

I will say as well. I struggled for a long time trying to figure things out and 'what worked for me'. Please keep in mind that although we all biologically similar, people are very different. What works great for someone else, may not work very well for you. Try one thing, see how well it works for you, then stop and try something else. Document your results and eventually you will see how your body responds in different situations and you can decide what is best.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I have done two 50 lb weight losses in my life. One was about 12 years ago and one was about 2 years ago.

Here are the keys.

1. Exercise is essential. It does more than burn fat. It produces brain chemicals that assist in the process of healthy living. And exercise means sweat. Not just walking.
2. Cut sugar, as far as it will go. Most can't go to zero but close to zero helps.
3. Do not snack after 7PM. If you need something, fruit or as low cal as you can get.

Good luck to all.

I did a 45# drop over 5 months. I went from ~190 to 145 (I'm 5'10"). Believe it or not, 145 is pretty much right in the middle of a healthy weight range for my height. The range is 128-174.

Anyway, my approach was to basically monitor my daily caloric intake for about a week until I understood how much I was actually consuming. Then looking at where I wanted to get to, and calculating the daily deficit to bring me to my target. So I think I cut about 700-800 calories daily.

But, it *does* require discipline. I'm very good with abrupt changes, so I knew that about myself.

Why wait to start building muscle?

The more muscle you have, the more calories you'll require, so you could still be eating a decent amount while maintaining or losing weight.

I kept working out the entire time, and what I found was my energy levels dipping.

I was hungry, like all the time.

Some people choose the "body recomposition" route where you're not necessarily losing weight, but recomping your body by changing your diet and habits.

I'm more of an "extreme" guy. I wanted to drop to 145#, and slowly ramp my way back up to about 165#, which is where I am now.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I think it's key to recognize what type of lifestyles you live, and under what conditions your body will gain weight, stay a constant weight, or lose weight.

When I don't work out, and I eat whatever I want, I gain weight. (Shocking, I know!)

Most of the time I'm taking it easy. I'll either work out regularly OR eat pretty healthy. Unless I'm much heavier than I normally am, just doing one of these doesn't do much. But I like it and I tend to stay within a weight range.

When I decide to go into weight loss (aka fat burning) mode, I will work out regularly AND eat healthy.

I will say as well. I struggled for a long time trying to figure things out and 'what worked for me'. Please keep in mind that although we all biologically similar, people are very different. What works great for someone else, may not work very well for you. Try one thing, see how well it works for you, then stop and try something else. Document your results and eventually you will see how your body responds in different situations and you can decide what is best.

My body struggled with water weight for years when I got older, now I have maintained it.
I started to do fasting a regularly go to the gym 4-5 times a week.
I usually have a week off from gym just for my body to adjust.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I did a 45# drop over 5 months. I went from ~190 to 145 (I'm 5'10"). Believe it or not, 145 is pretty much right in the middle of a healthy weight range for my height. The range is 128-174.

Anyway, my approach was to basically monitor my daily caloric intake for about a week until I understood how much I was actually consuming. Then looking at where I wanted to get to, and calculating the daily deficit to bring me to my target. So I think I cut about 700-800 calories daily.

But, it *does* require discipline. I'm very good with abrupt changes, so I knew that about myself.

I kept working out the entire time, and what I found was my energy levels dipping.

I was hungry, like all the time.

Some people choose the "body recomposition" route where you're not necessarily losing weight, but recomping your body by changing your diet and habits.

I'm more of an "extreme" guy. I wanted to drop to 145#, and slowly ramp my way back up to about 165#, which is where I am now.
Healthy range if you think BMI is a good thing to follow.

Sep 19, 2008
The initial reason for this thread remains true. I walk for hours sometimes with sore feet the next day expecting weight loss of some sort but I don't see any. I've largely plateaued to about 148 to 153. It's like I spent all day going up stadium stairs and going around the subway where's the loss.

Also how often should you weigh yourself because I obsessively weigh myself every morning on my scale

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
The initial reason for this thread remains true. I walk for hours sometimes with sore feet the next day expecting weight loss of some sort but I don't see any. I've largely plateaued to about 148 to 153. It's like I spent all day going up stadium stairs and going around the subway where's the loss.

Also how often should you weigh yourself because I obsessively weigh myself every morning on my scale

Once a week generally works best but depends on what you like. I do it twice a week Tuesdays and Fridays so I can see after weekend and before weekend kinda thing. I'm often inconsistent and just end up doing it once a week anyway though. Your body naturally fluctuates a bit. Definitely don't do it everyday.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Been feeling really tired lately despite exercising, eating pretty healthy, and getting 7-8 hours sleep per night. So, decided to do something a bit crazy and cut out caffeine cold turkey this week. The first few days were awful, not gonna lie. Felt super irritable. But the last few days, I've been feeling great. I feel like I don't have to plan my work around when I'll have energy or not. I think I may have just been really sensitive to caffeine. I definitely miss the taste of coffee, but if this extra energy is permanent, I'm not gonna go back.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Been feeling really tired lately despite exercising, eating pretty healthy, and getting 7-8 hours sleep per night. So, decided to do something a bit crazy and cut out caffeine cold turkey this week. The first few days were awful, not gonna lie. Felt super irritable. But the last few days, I've been feeling great. I feel like I don't have to plan my work around when I'll have energy or not. I think I may have just been really sensitive to caffeine. I definitely miss the taste of coffee, but if this extra energy is permanent, I'm not gonna go back.

I did the same with alcohol about 3-4 years ago. It's just such an awful thing for me - it disrupts my sleep, I feel like crap, have low energy, and would skip workouts (or have poor workouts) and eat poorly.

It's incompatible with my life, and I had no problem cutting it out. Just wish I'd done it sooner!

The strangest thing is honestly people being uncomfortable with someone not drinking alcohol.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I did the same with alcohol about 3-4 years ago. It's just such an awful thing for me - it disrupts my sleep, I feel like crap, have low energy, and would skip workouts (or have poor workouts) and eat poorly.

It's incompatible with my life, and I had no problem cutting it out. Just wish I'd done it sooner!

The strangest thing is honestly people being uncomfortable with someone not drinking alcohol.

I've been on both sides of this so I'll give my take haha. The person drinking is having fun and wants the people around them to have fun as well/not bring them down by not drinking. It's a rather selfish though I know. The person not drinking doesn't understand why everyone doesn't want them to drink. Definitely agree on alcohol. Really a terrible thing for you all around. I try to limit it.

Reactions: flyersnorth

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I think that exercise is essential, regardless of whether you're on a diet or not. It's not just about burning calories but also about keeping your body healthy and strong. That being said, everyone's body is different, and what works for one person may not work for another. It's important to find a balance that works for you. Thanks for sharing your experience and tips on figuring out what works for your body. I recently started adding protein in bulk to my diet, and I've noticed a big difference in my energy levels and overall health. It's amazing how something as simple as adjusting your diet can have such a big impact.

This. ^

From the article below, exercise helps fend off heart attacks, helps prevent diabetes, helps against multiple forms of cancer, and of course helps with mental health.

To top things off, moving the body seems to help the brain. Several studies have found that exercise can reduce the symptoms of depression, and it changes the brain in ways similar to antidepressant medications. In old age, physical activity may delay the slide of cognitive decline into dementia, and even once that process has started, exercise can improve certain aspects of thinking.​
About half of adult Americans don't meet one of the most oft-cited guidelines, which calls for at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity activity (a fast walking pace) most days of the week — and you can accumulate that total in bouts of 10 to 15 minutes. About a quarter of American adults say they devote none of their free time to active pursuits.​

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I didn't exercise for the first 33 years of my life. I was always very skinny and I never worked out consistently enough to see gains. About 6 months ago I decided to start working out at home and it has drastically improved my mental health. I feel so much better about myself and overall health it's an amazing benefit and I really regret not working out from 18-33.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I didn't exercise for the first 33 years of my life. I was always very skinny and I never worked out consistently enough to see gains. About 6 months ago I decided to start working out at home and it has drastically improved my mental health. I feel so much better about myself and overall health it's an amazing benefit and I really regret not working out from 18-33.
For me I think hiking is the best form of exercise. Great for cardio and endurance, mental escape, and I've found it shapes your booty better than squats.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
For me I think hiking is the best form of exercise. Great for cardio and endurance, mental escape, and I've found it shapes your booty better than squats.

Better than squats? Really? I have a knee problem and I can't do squats anymore, I can do lunges though.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Apologies if this has already been posted, but here are some wise words:

If you want to look good, go on a diet. If you want to look good naked, go to the gym.
If you live in California you already pretty much walk around naked half the time.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
No, it’s not necessary but it’s hugely benefitial and really helps keeping the weight off. Especially weight training, because larger muscles burn more calories while resting so you can eat more without gaining as much weight.

I used to work out very regulary and was around 180lbs of mostly muscle at my peak physique, then i got in to a new relationship bit less than a year ago and kinda let myself go training wise but it took me almost 8 months to really gain fat because of my pre-existing muscle mass still used most of the calories as fuel. I’ve now only trained at home for a month and i’ve already lost 7lbs and look much better and slimmer due to muscle memory allowing to get back some of the muscle mass despite being in slight calory decifit.

I only try to weigh myself once a month now, and that’s only because i want to know if i’m doing something badly wrong. It’s easy to get disgouraged because of the numbers on the scale but those don’t really mean anything due to how individual bodies are. How you look and perform are the factor you should focus more on, because that 153lbs for example wont look the same on anyone else, and weight can bounce up and down multiple lbs inside a day.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
The initial reason for this thread remains true. I walk for hours sometimes with sore feet the next day expecting weight loss of some sort but I don't see any.
Maybe you should look for some other excercise in addition to walking (which at this point may be as helpful for weight loss as breathing lol).

Sep 19, 2008
I initially went into retirement because of my bad knees and joints which were too painful. This was about a year ago

Yesterday I went to the bike shop and purchased some new supplies which I will eventually find out how to install on my stationary bike. I'm pretty excited.

I'm coming out of retirement. If I can get 30 minutes of biking in per day without chronic joint pain, I can return to regular exercise again.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I initially went into retirement because of my bad knees and joints which were too painful. This was about a year ago

Yesterday I went to the bike shop and purchased some new supplies which I will eventually find out how to install on my stationary bike. I'm pretty excited.

I'm coming out of retirement. If I can get 30 minutes of biking in per day without chronic joint pain, I can return to regular exercise again.
Swimming is a good option for cardio that’s low impact on joints if that’s an option

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I go 4 times in a row then 3 days off from the gym.
I've been on a constant flow for the past 5 months, more energy and my body feels different.
Eating habits have changed to a degree, limiting my drinking intake, also fasting as much as I can.

On my rest days, I go for a steady walk/run/job around my neighbourhood.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad