Is Evgeni Malkin sort-of done as an elite player?

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
He, Sid and the entire team in general remind me exactly of how they played before Johnston and Therrien were fired.

Listless. Directionless. Frustrated. Fire Sully, then see where Malkin's at. I still think he has the elite-ness within him.

The dangerous thing here is the roster and schedule. Is Sully really to blame for the lack of emotion in these games? Sid is the best at what he does - and it's best to give him rope when he mails it in on some nights. The schedule is so condensed this year - against the same boring teams night in and night out - with no fans in the arena. Wouldn't surprise me of ole Hornqvist was down in Sunrise raising hell - but it does not surprise me that a lot of our guys just seem not to care. Top that off with a depleted roster for the last month+ and just lack of fun hockey/scoring. Not sure the coach is what we should be looking at right now despite popular opinion.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
:laugh: Yes I got that much so far, but his value in a trade?

2021 1st + 2022 2nd + ???

Pay me 9.5 mil.

If Malkin gets traded, it's because he asked out and he controls his destiny. Probably would be something really awful like Tippett + 2nd tbh.

Maybe they can pull out Lundell given what Luostarinen has shown but I don't really see that happening.

doorbag

Jun 26, 2008
When a player has a resume like Malkin and is one year removed from 1.36ppg season I think they deserve a longer leash than 20 games before writing them off.

But with that said, the entire team looks lost out there most nights and I think the lack of success on the powerplay is the biggest factor. With the firepower that they can put out on the man advantage it is mind boggling that they are only ~15% on the power play. If those numbers were normalized to where they are most years I don’t think it’s a stretch to say Malkin + Sid should have 4-5 more points each and now suddenly things are looking a little bit more in line with expectations.

Reactions: MichaelFarrell

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
He's done. Stick a fork in him and trade him to Vancouver, for pennies on the dollar. :sarcasm:

As I've said before but it's best to reserve to your judgement on this season, given how out of whack everything has been. There's been enough star talent taking, in some cases significant, dips in on-ice impact/numbers. I'd say take things with a grain of salt if you want to avoid the barrage of bad takes we seen so far this season.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Let's let him have a bad season before we say he isn't elite anymore. He's having a down stretch, for sure. And those suggesting it's motivation/lack of crowd may be on to something. But I won't jump to conclusions that quick.

It could be a million different things causing the down stretch. But until it's closer to a full season like this, I'm not going to assume he can't ever again be what he's always been.

The Grim Reaper

Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
He gets the same benefit of the doubt as Ovechkin, Crosby, and Kane from me.

This is a weird season, and the East isn't the North. Players like him can explode at any moment, especially in the playoffs when it matters.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
The first goal of any team is to make the playoffs. I think some of these veteran players that have played a number of seasons that went deep into the playoffs pace them selves more than when the were younger. Who cares wether you win 3 to 1 or 6 to 1.

That being said, they are going to have to pick it up to make the playoffs. I don't see too much on their roster at the moment.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
He'll probably have a really good season next year.

His followup this season compared to last season is similar to what he has done since the completion of his age 22 season.

Outside of his first few seasons, he's usually puts up a pretty good season followed by an okay one (often because of missing time) right down the line.

Zero surprise this year, other than playing all 20 games thus far.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
The first goal of any team is to make the playoffs. I think some of these veteran players that have played a number of seasons that went deep into the playoffs pace them selves more than when the were younger. Who cares wether you win 3 to 1 or 6 to 1.

That being said, they are going to have to pick it up to make the playoffs. I don't see too much on their roster at the moment.
I think they are playing much less than the sum of their parts so far. A new coach would likely get more out of the roster, but Hextall does need to address the 4th line and possibly another top 6 forward. The latter will be a difficult task though

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Sullivan finally put the Guentzel-Malkin-Rust line back together and Geno looked like a beast again.

tenor.gif

BmxHockey

Jan 4, 2012
San Diego
Geno relies on playing with something that is unsustainable; a chip on his shoulder and emotion. If neither shows up, he doesn’t have a reliable performance anchor to trigger every night. Mixed emotions is giving us mixed playing results...

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Malkin was awesome tonight. Fans back, reunited with Guentzel and Rust, and Crosby being out lit the fuse.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00