Is Evgeni Malkin sort-of done as an elite player?

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Crosby (18 points in 20 games) and Malkin (12 points in 20 games) have both looked bad, but Malkin moreso.

Hard to get a read on it now. They're getting older, there was no preseason this year, playing tough defensive teams every night (6 games against the isles just in the last 2 weeks), and Sullivan seems to be lost.

Malkin had 74 points in 55 games last season so I don't think he just fell off a cliff in less than a year. Not going to write either of them off as elite players until we get back to a normal season. If they're still underperforming then maybe yea time has caught up to them.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
I think the grind of this division is wearing on a lot of teams. I’d imagine it would be especially difficult for older vets (can’t believe I’m talking about Malkin like this).

Reactions: Another AZ

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
I'd say he's done as an elite player. However, it's highly unlikely he'll continue to play this poorly (i.e one of the worst players in the league).

A poster here told me he said he's had motivation issues due to lack of fans, but I haven't looked into that.

As you said, hell of a career.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Well I am taking the guy with 12 points in 20 games and the guy who just last year was at 100+ points Malkin.

Let's hold off on him joining this all star team.
His last 100+ pt season was nearly a decade ago, pace doesn’t matter when you miss that much time

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
74 points in 55 games last season imply that the undefined "sporadically" is pretty darn good? Imagine having a 100point pace while not being an elite player for most of the time.

Since 2012 he's had two seasons with any award votes. All credit for last year, but it's not where he's been with any consistency. I don't see his current play as an anomaly at all minding that.

Reactions: generalshepherd141

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Maybe, but I find it highly doubtful. I imagine just one of the players who is going to have a down year because of COVID.
Homer excuse right there. I wasn’t aware that the other players weren’t impacted by COVID.

Reactions: max21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad