Is Eugene Melnyk the Worst Owner in the League?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
The last hour has convinced me. Didn't want to pay Kyle Turris, so he traded him, plus a 1st and 3rd round pick, for Matt Duchene. Within an hour, Nashville signs Turris for 6 years, for the same amount Duchene is making. Granted, Duchene is 2 years younger and may very well re-emerge as a better player than Turris... In which case Ottawa will have to pay him next year.

Remember when Chicago fans practically rejoiced at Bill Wirtz's death? Almost feel like Melnyk will be the same way in Ottawa.

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
Ottawa also gave up their AHL goalie making 1.5m. Turris looks like the type of player who will have a short prime window, his frame is so damn weak.

At least he doesn't accept last place finishes as the prefetred means of attaining talented players like some teams...

Reactions: branch and coladin

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Ottawa also gave up their AHL goalie making 1.5m. Turris looks like the type of player who will have a short prime window, his frame is so damn weak.

At least he doesn't accept last place finishes as the prefetred means of attaining talented players like some teams...

Well... He can't. He wouldn't pay them.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The issue with Turris wasn’t the salary, it was the term.

The team didn’t want to commit to him for 8 years which is what his agent wanted from Ottawa.

Reactions: _Del_

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
The issue with Turris wasn’t the salary, it was the term.

The team didn’t want to commit to him for 8 years which is what his agent wanted from Ottawa.

My guess is they could've worked with him on term... Considering Nashville literally signed him to 6 years an hour after he was traded.

Last edited by a moderator:

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
The last hour has convinced me. Didn't want to pay Kyle Turris, so he traded him, plus a 1st and 3rd round pick, for Matt Duchene. Within an hour, Nashville signs Turris for 6 years, for the same amount Duchene is making. Granted, Duchene is 2 years younger and may very well re-emerge as a better player than Turris... In which case Ottawa will have to pay him next year.

Remember when Chicago fans practically rejoiced at Bill Wirtz's death? Almost feel like Melnyk will be the same way in Ottawa.

So many falsehoods here, I don't even know where to start.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I would say it's not even debatable. Who even comes even close? The Florida owner? Still...

BellMTSPlace

Oct 5, 2017
BellMTSPlace_____Downtown
The worst owner is TRUE NORTH SPORTS for the Winnipeg Jets. They are downright idiots. And people in Winnipeg chant their name which gives them more power to do what they want at will. Winnipegers are to fault too and the media as nobody really attacks the ownership like a real sports city would.

TRUE NORTH wouldn't survive as owners in Chicago or New York. The media/fans would break them into pieces.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
I thought they did it for the upgrade? I didn't think it was due to being cheap. Not saying he's not cheap, because he is, but I thought this was a contender move.

I'm a Leaf fan, and I'd rather have Duchense over Turris as a#1c.

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
I like Turris but I'm happy we didn't commit to him for 6 more years now that we have Brassard. Here's hoping Duchene will be an upgrade, he certainly has the pedigree and potential to be.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Do elaborate. Because any way you slice it, Ottawa got hosed... And that was before Nashville extended Turris.

Perhaps you're the one who should elaborate? Ottawa got the best player in the trade and gave up nothing of significance from their deep prospect pool.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I thought they did it for the upgrade? I didn't think it was due to being cheap. Not saying he's not cheap, because he is, but I thought this was a contender move.

I'm a Leaf fan, and I'd rather have Duchense over Turris as a#1c.

Exactly. Melnyk had no issues opening the wallet to sign Ryan and Hoffman. It's quite clear that Ottawa didn't believe in Turris long-term. They wanted an upgrade and they got it.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Perhaps you're the one who should elaborate? Ottawa got the best player in the trade and gave up nothing of significance from their deep prospect pool.

Duchene and Turris have had near identical PPG average over the last 3 seasons. (Turris is higher, actually) Now, you could argue that Duchene will reemerge as the better player, a bet I'd agree with, but that's a bet.

And they gave up a 1st and 3rd in a deep draft in the process. So yes, they got fleeced.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Yes without a doubt. Ottawa just gave up a ridiculous price just so they don't have to pay Turris his money. That's crazy to give up so much future for an at best marginal upgrade at C (Very arguable).

KingBilly

Oct 18, 2008
The thing for Melnyk to focus upon is putting a good enough team around Karlsson. I think there were two conditions to Karlsson resigning: one, was league-wise recognition that he is one of the best hockey players in the world, and he's achieved that. Two, was thinking the Senators could plausibly win the cup in the next 5 years.

To get Karlsson to resign it may be worth it to trade for Duchene.

They're gonna have to back the brinks truck up into Karlsson's driveway, like 11 million. But Duchene helps make him think they're trying to win and doing what it takes.

Reactions: Sensung

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Duchene and Turris have had near identical PPG average over the last 3 seasons. (Turris is higher, actually) Now, you could argue that Duchene will reemerge as the better player, a bet I'd agree with, but that's a bet.

And they gave up a 1st and 3rd in a deep draft in the process. So yes, they got fleeced.

Ok, but Ottawa has a deeeep prospect pool which remains mostly intact. They traded from a position of strength in order to fix a weakness at a moment when they're solid contenders. It's a win for Ottawa. It's a win for all parties involved. If it wasn't a win-win-win, the trade wouldn't of happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad