Is Erik Karlsson a HHOFer?

Will Erik Karlsson make the Hockey Hall of Fame?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Retires? Why? People don't leave that kind of money on the table.

I meant if he had retired due to his injury. Of course he won't now, he's relatively healthy and paid bank as you said

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I meant if he had retired due to his injury. Of course he won't now, he's relatively healthy and paid bank as you said
Players who are still under contract but can't clear NHL contact again end up on LTIR. If a player retires, he's leaving money on the table instead of getting paid while sitting at home (insurance companies pay 80% of these salaries, but usually only for significant contracts)

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Easiest way to decide is ask yourself the following

1: Does he have the stats? Probably close
2: Did he win individual awards? Yes
3: Did he win a Cup? Probably not, but maybe one day
4: Is he most well known for playing in Canada? If this question and any of the other 3 are yes.... He gets in

CornerStone61

Apr 13, 2015
Easiest way to decide is ask yourself the following

1: Does he have the stats? Probably close
2: Did he win individual awards? Yes
3: Did he win a Cup? Probably not, but maybe one day
4: Is he most well known for playing in Canada? If this question and any of the other 3 are yes.... He gets in
I mean, or you could just look at the fact that no other defenseman with at least 2 Norris trophies has been left out of the hall and stop there. You've spouted point number 4 ad nauseum and it really doesn't hold water IMO. Looking at your avatar I can only assume you believe this because of Mogilny and Elias.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I mean, or you could just look at the fact that no other defenseman with at least 2 Norris trophies has been left out of the hall and stop there. You've spouted point number 4 ad nauseum and it really doesn't hold water IMO. Looking at your avatar I can only assume you believe this because of Mogilny and Elias.

Mogilny, yes but not Elias I think he's borderline at best.

Just look at the history of who gets in, if they're borderline and played in Canada they'll get in before a player that played in the States.

Carbonneau, Lowe, the Sedin twins and Alfredsson are all examples of players that don't have much over guys that are still waiting but played in Canada.

In your opinion have those 4 (I say 4 because the Sedin's are seen as 1 guy) have so much over Mogilny, Brind'amour, Turgeon, Roenick or Elias?

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Players who are still under contract but can't clear NHL contact again end up on LTIR. If a player retires, he's leaving money on the table instead of getting paid while sitting at home (insurance companies pay 80% of these salaries, but usually only for significant contracts)

Who cares Mr. Pedantic?
Does him being retired or LTIRetired change anything to the discussion?

Lots of people bring up the two Norris trophies. He already had them in 2017 (ankle injury that took out half his bone). Had his career stopped there, I wonder if he still has a strong argument for the Hall of Fame?

2 Norris, just over 500 pts, about 600 games. Do thise achievements alone get you in?

Of course, right now he's adding longevity, he's just making his case better every year

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Who cares Mr. Pedantic?
Does him being retired or LTIRetired change anything to the discussion?

lol why would you?

Pedantic is an insulting word used to describe someone who annoys others by correcting small errors, caring too much about minor details, or emphasizing their own expertise especially in some narrow or boring subject matter.

This is not a minor detail. Erik Karlsson is owed 51 M$ and even if he physically can't skate anymore, he will still collect his cheques.

I never said it would "change anything to the discussion", I specifically talked about the retirement aspect that YOU brought up. Is it possible to say anything anymore? If you don't want to be quoted... don't post on a public forum? :laugh:

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
I wonder if he chooses to go in as a senator or a shark.
I don't wonder --- it will be as a senator.

It'll be neither since inductees in the Hockey Hall of fame aren't associated with a team in particular. Their plaques simply bare a resume of their career. The closest you get from any kind of team affiliation is the picture displayed on the player's HoF web page.
1656564714879.png
1656564741189.png
1656564771081.png
1656564790551.png

(Roy, Oates, Blake, Hossa)

Last edited:

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Question, if you hate Ottawa so much, why do you have the city as your username?

The only people that think I hate Ottawa are deluded sens fans who can't accept criticism.

I chose this username because I was living in Ottawa at the time and it was my home for 12 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad