Is Erik Karlsson a HHOFer?

Will Erik Karlsson make the Hockey Hall of Fame?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Just turned 32 with 5years left on his contract. Certainly a shell of his former self.

Notable Achievements:
2-time Norris winner (1 of 13 ever with more than 1)
Silver Medalist in 2009 World Juniors
Silver Medalist in 2014 Olympics
Awarded "best defenceman" of 2014 Olympics
6x NHL All-Star
4x NHL First Team All-Star

Context:
Last year he had 35 points in 50 games. He's currently 31st all-time in points among defencemen. If you assume 35 points each of the next 5 years, he would end up top-15 all-time among defencemen. Whether that is a fair point total or not is debatable and up to you. Just providing some context.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
How many two-(or more) time Norris Trophy winners have been left out of the Hall?

I wouldn't expect the answer to ever change.

I'm admittedly a Karlsson fan and voted yes. The interesting part to me is his downfall unlike most other 2-time winners. His peak/prime is undeniable, but his career as whole might not be viewed as hall-worthy by some (I assume anyways), so I was curious enough to make the poll.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Defensemen who have 4+ years as Norris trophy winner or runner-up

11x - Ray Bourque
10x - Nicklas Lidstrom
8x - Bobby Orr, Doug Harvey
6x - Pierre Pilote, Brad Park
5x - Denis Potvin, Chris Chelios, Paul Coffey
4x - Al MacInnis, Erik Karlsson

Players who haven't accomplished this - Larry Robinson, Scott Stevens, Brian Leetch, Chris Pronger, Scott Niedermayer, Zdeno Chara, Victor Hedman, etc

Add in a very strong playoff run (2017) and Karlsson will undoubtedly earn a spot in the Hall of Fame.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
His prime was too good and he was too big of a name to not make it regardless of what he does from here on out.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
No one who has more than one Norris is t in the Hall, so yeah, he’ll be there.

He might not be first ballot like he would have been if he kept up his 5-6 years ago level, but he’ll get there.

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
Fun fact: the last time a defenseman led the league in assists before Karlsson did it in 2016 was Bobby Orr in 1975.

The last time a defenseman was top 5 in points before Karlsson did it in 2016 was Paul Coffey in 1985.

Nobody has been able to do both of these feats since then either.

He is a special player who has been playing on one foot for the last 5 years and one Achilles heel since the Matt Cooke incident. Scary to think how good he would've been if that never happened. Despite his resume being pretty stellar, I do think that it undersells him as one of the all time greats. I definitely believe he deserved more than his 2 Norris trophies.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I used to think that Leetch was his career comparable. I would check to see what achievements Karlsson would match and always assumed that Karlson would eclipse Leetch, because surely he would age better then Leetch did into his 30's.

Reactions: LuckyPierre

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Ya he is close to a lock.

He likely finishes in the 800-900 pt area as a Dman thats enough.

I wonder if he chooses to go in as a senator or a shark.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I wonder if he makes it if he retires after that 2nd ankle injury - seems like way too short a career but he was already a 2 times Norris winner and multiple times all star.

Today though, maybe not a first ballot, but he's building longevity and he's not a bad player at all these days - the shell of prime EK is still a top 4 D and a very good offensive defenseman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad