Is Ekblad #1 on the Sabres board?

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
What's Sports Extra? Is that some sort of local thing?

It's on Sunday nights after the regular newscast on Channel 2 for 30 minutes....They had about a 10 minute segment on the NHL Draft where they brought in Kris Baker where Andrew Peters and the other sportscaster asked him questions about the draft.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
What's Sports Extra? Is that some sort of local thing?

Channel 2 (NBC) late night thingy ...

Just found out about it tonight myself ..

Hosted by a Blonde Bombshell Lydia Dominick

vh3qt5.jpg

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
It's on Sunday nights after the regular newscast on Channel 2 for 30 minutes....They had about a 10 minute segment on the NHL Draft where they brought in Kris Baker where Andrew Peters and the other sportscaster asked him questions about the draft.

Channel 2 (NBC) late night thingy ...

Just found out about it tonight myself ..

Hosted by a Blonde Bombshell Lydia Dominick

Looks like it's co-hosted by Andrew Peters and Ruben Brown (former Bills guard)

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
If Ekblad falls to us, take him and don't hesitate.

We would then have Myers and Ehrhoff as trade bait to bring in some forwards.
Whether Ekblad ends up in Blue & Gold or not, we still have plenty of defensemen to use as trade bait to bring in forwards.

Zadorov, Ristolainen, Pysyk, McCabe, and Ruhwedel are still a very strong stable of defensemen, if Ehrhoff and/or Myers would be flipped for top 6 or potential top 3 forwards.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I really don't think he's said anything to indicate his view one way or the other, and if he could read this thread, he'd have a chuckle at us.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Whether Ekblad ends up in Blue & Gold or not, we still have plenty of defensemen to use as trade bait to bring in forwards.

Zadorov, Ristolainen, Pysyk, McCabe, and Ruhwedel are still a very strong stable of defensemen, if Ehrhoff and/or Myers would be flipped for top 6 or potential top 3 forwards.

Ask Nashville how that strategy works.

You need core forwards. I'm fine with going BPA 2nd overall, even if it is Ekblad. But, we need to build a forward core sooner rather than later.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012

You need core forwards. I'm fine with going BPA 2nd overall, even if it is Ekblad. But, we need to build a forward core sooner rather than later.

What strategy? I'm simply stating that our defensive depth is still solid whether we draft Ekblad or not, or flip defensive depth for forward depth.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

One of these things is not like the others :D

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

What strategy? I'm simply stating that our defensive depth is still solid whether we draft Ekblad or not, or flip defensive depth for forward depth.

I do worry that trading D for F would be easier in theory than in practice.

Just look at the Howard and Jeremy dream this morning of Myers+_____ for the 3rd pick. I think that is much better in theory than it will be if the Sabres make that offer to the Oilers.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
One of these things is not like the others :D
I think Ruhweedle stays, we need stay at home defensemen. We can't have every defensemen rush up into the play. Ruh will become a mighty fine stay at home defenseman. I know he can score but the fact he is so calm and barely makes a mistake makes him that perfect candidate for playing back rather than rushing up into the play.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
It might surprise you, but Rudy had the best PPG in Rochester this season among Risto (.588), Pysyk (.387), and himself (.596).

He is also a few years older then all of those guys. Ruhwedel might be a serviceable 6/7 guy when he fills out his potential but I don't think he will ever be more then a 3rd pairing/#7 dman. Not bad for a college UFA we signed for free but I think we can do better then him in our top 6. And as long as Myers and Ehrhoff aren't here, Ruhwedel won't be in our top 3 pairings anytime soon with the aforementioned 10/57 along with Zads, Risto, Pysyk and McCabe. Maybe we can use Ruhwedel as trade bait to move up back into the 1st?

Something like #31+#49+Ruhwedel for a 1st in the 14-18 range.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
He is also a few years older then all of those guys. Ruhwedel might be a serviceable 6/7 guy when he fills out his potential but I don't think he will ever be more then a 3rd pairing/#7 dman. Not bad for a college UFA we signed for free but I think we can do better then him in our top 6. And as long as Myers and Ehrhoff aren't here, Ruhwedel won't be in our top 3 pairings anytime soon with the aforementioned 10/57 along with Zads, Risto, Pysyk and McCabe. Maybe we can use Ruhwedel as trade bait to move up back into the 1st?

Something like #31+#49+Ruhwedel for a 1st in the 14-18 range.

No one's trading a mid-first for that package.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

Just look at the Howard and Jeremy dream this morning of Myers+_____ for the 3rd pick. I think that is much better in theory than it will be if the Sabres make that offer to the Oilers.

You wait for a team like SJ or Philly or something like that to fall victim to "culture change" fever then ship off a young D for their PPG player that "just can't win". Then you laugh when Kopitar or Eichel hands him the cup.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV

If the Sabres end up with Ekblad, I'm not all that worried that there won't be a D for F trade out there; young forwards of the ilk the Sabres would want get moved almost every single season. Obviously the concern would be making the right deal but that will always be the case.

Additionally, if the Sabres end up with Ekblad, time is still on Murray's side. There would be no immediate pressure to move anybody until the deal he wants comes along. Heck, even if Ehrhoff wants out and that gets accommodated, there can still be another deal centered around one of Myers/Ristolainen/Zadorov/Ekblad/Pysyk*/McCabe* out there somewhere.

*I'm of the opinion these guys wouldn't be centerpieces of such a deal, but for these purposes I'm lumping all the desirable defensemen together.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If the Sabres end up with Ekblad, I'm not all that worried that there won't be a D for F trade out there; young forwards of the ilk the Sabres would want get moved almost every single season. Obviously the concern would be making the right deal but that will always be the case.

Top 3 calibre forwards only get moved if there are serious questions about them or the team that drafted them has a brain cramp.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Additionally, if the Sabres end up with Ekblad, time is still on Murray's side. There would be no immediate pressure to move anybody until the deal he wants comes along. Heck, even if Ehrhoff wants out and that gets accommodated, there can still be another deal centered around one of Myers/Ristolainen/Zadorov/Ekblad/Pysyk*/McCabe* out there somewhere.

*I'm of the opinion these guys wouldn't be centerpieces of such a deal, but for these purposes I'm lumping all the desirable defensemen together.

They do? News to me.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I hope the Sabres are high on Ekblad because I've become increasing pessimistic about Reinhart making it to #2.

If these rumors about packages to FLA are correct they seem too good for the Panthers to pass up.

On the other hand, let's say FLA sticks to the plan and picks Ekblad. Do the Sabres bite on VAN offer?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

What? :huh:
We want someone of the Toews/Kopitar/Bergeron ilk......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad