Is Ekblad #1 on the Sabres board?

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Vizzini: But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

Man in Black: You've made your decision then?

Vizzini: Not remotely. Because iocane comes from Australia, as everyone knows, and Australia is entirely peopled with criminals, and criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you.

Man in Black: Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

I love this! :handclap:

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I think your correct JimBob. I think Ekblad is top of the list for TM. I do believe if he is there at 2, Buffalo takes him. I have every confidence TM can get an elite forward with all of these assets he's collecting, he'd be foolish not to take Ekblad if he is there at 2 and is BPA.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
If Reinhart goes #1, then Sabres take Ekblad. It would be the most interesting scenario.

Throwing **** at the wall, but if that were to happen, would Murray trade Ehrhoff or Myers for young forward talent? Does he use or trade his 2nd rounders? Buffalo has so many assets going into this draft that so many things could happen. I for one am giddy and warming up to any of the top 4 prospects and could see a justifiable reason for drafting each one.

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
The use of the word "next" leads me to believe that ekblad is #1 on the list...Murray has said that he believes that ekblad will go 1st. But, what about the possibility of having 2 separate rankings? One for who Murray thinks are the best players in the draft, and one for who Murray thinks the sabres need the most. Ekblad could be #1 on the former...but maybe (and hopefully) not the latter

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
http://sabres.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=30077

Given that he said that if Ekblad goes 1, then they move on to the next guy on their list, that sounds to me like Ekblad is #1 on the Sabres board.

It's what I thought as well reading that.

Me too - and, even though Murray diplomatically defended Myers this week in his media interviews, the many rumors at the deadline that Murray was entertaining offers for Myers makes me think that, if Ekblad does fall to Buffalo at # 2 and they can add him to an impressive stable of Ristolainen, Zadorov, Pysyk and McCabe, that would give Murray even more freedom and confidence that he can shop Myers for an elite scoring forward.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Throwing **** at the wall, but if that were to happen, would Murray trade Ehrhoff or Myers for young forward talent? Does he use or trade his 2nd rounders?.

While I would prefer them nabbing a potential # 1 center like Bennett or Reinhart because I don't have faith Grigorenko, Hodgson or Ennis will get there, the scenario of Ekblad falling to # 2 and allowing the Sabres to deal Myers for someone like Eberle or Kane would be an amazing turn of events of strengthening a position of need (scoring) without taking a hit or being weakened in the process at another position (defense).

Obviously, I'm in the camp that feels Myers has plateaued in terms of potential and won't ever reach the next level many of his advocates say he will.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
If Ekblad is there at 2 he will probably be drafted by the Sabres unless they are swayed by a trade offer. Drafting him does not mean the team has to move a D in the immediate future. They could wait a year or two to trade Risto, Zads, Pysyk, McCabe or even Ekblad. There is probably less demand for Erhoff and Myers than our younger D and certainly even less a year or two down the road. If a team were to offer a young forward for Myers or Erhoff shortly after we draft Ekblad then Murray pulls the trigger but he may not initiate trade talks himself.

Last edited:

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
After watching the past few playoffs, I'm convinced a champion team is built with a franchise D man, who can put the whole team on his shoulders at times, and depth. So I have no problem taking a chance on as many potential franchise D as we can.

Look at Aneheim and Pittsburgh - they have some if the best players in the league, and are realizing that they are kind of screwed because they don't have one or both of those two things. So I have no problem taking Ekblad, as much as I'd love Reinhart. You can get forwards, even at center, much easier than those dominant D men. Teams like Aneheim will pay through the nose for one if we do happen to have any extras.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
After watching the past few playoffs, I'm convinced a champion team is built with a franchise D man, who can put the whole team on his shoulders at times, and depth. So I have no problem taking a chance on as many potential franchise D as we can.

Look at Aneheim and Pittsburgh - they have some if the best players in the league, and are realizing that they are kind of screwed because they don't have one or both of those two things. So I have no problem taking Ekblad, as much as I'd love Reinhart. You can get forwards, even at center, much easier than those dominant D men. Teams like Aneheim will pay through the nose for one if we do happen to have any extras.

Absolutely true. I'm starting to wonder if we do this... I thought before if we did we'd be kind of screwed going down the road, but if he would hypothetically definitely pan out as such a good and dominant dman... can this team take the hit and get more centers in next year's draft? Or even later in this one. At the same token though, we desperately need centers and wings.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Absolutely true. I'm starting to wonder if we do this... I thought before if we did we'd be kind of screwed going down the road, but if he would hypothetically definitely pan out as such a good and dominant dman... can this team take the hit and get more centers in next year's draft? Or even later in this one. At the same token though, we desperately need centers and wings.

Which is why I do NOT want Buffalo to select Ekblad. Look, we have good D depth in our system already....Pysyk, Risto and Zadorov are all on board(and the extra season Zadorov(AKA The Big Show)got in London can only help him as a player). Unless Buffalo thinks it needs more defensive depth, get a forward with your first pick. I still think Bennett is that player-he's got what Buffalo needs desperately: someone who is willing to go through the proverbial brick wall to get the job done and to lead a team. Not saying that Reinhart or(to a lesser degree)Draisaitl are bad players...they're not. I'm only saying that Bennett may fit the Sabres' needs better.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

The problem is I don't believe Ekblad is going to be that kind of player. He's not going to impact the game the way Doughty does imo. He's more likely to be like Seabrook. Ekblad's contribution to offense will likely be making good outlet passes and using his slapper. Those are great things, but the kind of player I think you're alluding to can do more with the puck on his stick. It's also quite possible he doesn't end up elite in his own zone.

If we take him, so be it, but I'm not too high on this reasoning of looking at playoff teams. Playoff teams also have elite centers, which we need. We at least have some good shots at defensemen as it stands. Who knows, maybe we end up with #3 next year, in which case we can take Hanifin who could be the kind of player you're talking about.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
The problem is I don't believe Ekblad is going to be that kind of player. He's not going to impact the game the way Doughty does imo. He's more likely to be like Seabrook. Ekblad's contribution to offense will likely be making good outlet passes and using his slapper. Those are great things, but the kind of player I think you're alluding to can do more with the puck on his stick. It's also quite possible he doesn't end up elite in his own zone.

If we take him, so be it, but I'm not too high on this reasoning of looking at playoff teams. Playoff teams also have elite centers, which we need. We at least have some good shots at defensemen as it stands. Who knows, maybe we end up with #3 next year, in which case we can take Hanifin who could be the kind of player you're talking about.
Take Ekblad this year. Draft Hanifin and Kylington next year. **** a forward. Profit.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
If Ekblad is available, he might be the best pick overall, but not necessarily the best choice for the Sabres. I would like to come away from this draft with a potential #1 center.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Take Ekblad this year. Draft Hanifin and Kylington next year. **** a forward. Profit.

I like where your heads at. We could set up a new revolutionary lineup. The 1-2-2. One center then a midfield d-pair followed by a defensive d-pair.

Last edited:

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I like where you're heads at. We could set up a new revolutionary lineup. The 1-2-2. One center then a midfield d-pair followed by a defensive d-pair.

I still prefer my proposed Zembrella system: 3 defensemen, 1 winger, 1 Zemgus (center+winger)

If Sabres take Ekblad then Myers is out the door.

Maybe, but Myers still brings something no one else on the team or in the system does. I'm not saying that means we can't or shouldn't move him in that scenario, but it's a consideration. There wouldn't be a mad rush to have to move someone immediately, anyhow.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Would everyone be less upset if we took Ekblad at 2, but then were also able to trade up for a solid forward ie Barbashev, Milano, Fiala, etc.?

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Would everyone be less upset if we took Ekblad at 2, but then were also able to trade up for a solid forward ie Barbashev, Milano, Fiala, etc.?
I would because if what people say about Reinhart not cracking the top 10 of next years draft those guys would be late 2nd rounds and we need top talent forwards now.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Sure, but by that same token I'd be less happy than if we drafted Reinhart and then did the same thing. If we can come out of this 1st with a strong forward prospect and Ekblad, then that's certainly better than just getting Ekblad, because we need more offensive upside in the system. The downside is that we'll still need an elite center, which will mean all our hopes get pinned on our 1st next year.

BTW, that's just how I'll feel because I'm not as high on Ekblad as some. If they feel strongly that he's the best player on the board then they should take him. I'll be happy if they're right, even if we don't get another 1st rounder.

I would because if what people say about Reinhart not cracking the top 10 of next years draft those guys would be late 2nd rounds and we need top talent forwards now.

I don't buy that talk about Reinhart not making the top 10, but the top half of the 1st next year looks truly exceptional. We should absolutely be getting a great prospect even if we surprise in the standings and get, say, #7 instead of #1.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Sure, but by that same token I'd be less happy than if we drafted Reinhart and then did the same thing. If we can come out of this 1st with a strong forward prospect and Ekblad, then that's certainly better than just getting Ekblad, because we need more offensive upside in the system. The downside is that we'll still need an elite center, which will mean all our hopes get pinned on our 1st next year.

BTW, that's just how I'll feel because I'm not as high on Ekblad as some. If they feel strongly that he's the best player on the board then they should take him. I'll be happy if they're right, even if we don't get another 1st rounder.
That's what makes this draft so hard, should they go BPA or Draft a Need considering they said the top 4 or 5 are so close.

Last edited:

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
That's what makes this draft so hard, should they go BPA or Draft a Need considering they said 4 or 5 are so close.

According to Kris Baker tonight on Sports Extra....he feels that it should either be Ekblad or Reinhart regardless of who goes 1st overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad