Is Detroit the only team where "best player will play" is not standard procedure?

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Is it safe to say that Cleary might be getting the Maltby treatment this year? It's a little assuring that someone unproven like Nestrasil has been getting the nod before him. And you would have to think Weiss would get a shot before him too.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Is it safe to say that Cleary might be getting the Maltby treatment this year? It's a little assuring that someone unproven like Nestrasil has been getting the nod before him. And you would have to think Weiss would get a shot before him too.

Were 2 games in. I expect Clears to play at least 10-20 games.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

If he had any self-respect he would take the healthy scratch cue and retire. But it's pretty evident that he doesn't.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I would gladly swallow my price and self-respect a bit for a couple of million bucks. :nod:

He's going to get his 1.5 mil regardless of if he retires or not, right? So why not retire and take your money and go golf or something. You can't even crack the opening night lineup anymore, and you get booed if you step on the ice. Unless he enjoys trolling all of us fans, I don't see why you wouldn't just hang em' up.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Well, he probably likes being a member of the team, practicing, warming up, paling around with the guys, etc.

And I'm sure the rest of the team enjoys his presence, too.

I understand why he would keep signing contracts. It is on Holland and Babcock to move on from him.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He's going to get his 1.5 mil regardless of if he retires or not, right? So why not retire and take your money and go golf or something. You can't even crack the opening night lineup anymore, and you get booed if you step on the ice. Unless he enjoys trolling all of us fans, I don't see why you wouldn't just hang em' up.

If he retires he won't get his money but the full caphit will stay.

Actual Thought*

So are we not permitted to question the actions of our GM because of an appeal to authority? Is that the position you are taking?

I see a lot of posts scrutinizing every decision looking for why Holland is wrong and very little consideration for why he could be right. It seems absurd to me to start from "Holland is wrong" and work back from there when based on his record he is right most of the time. It is an extremely poor form of analysis.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If he retires he won't get his money but the full caphit will stay.

yep, it just screws us out of the cap space. Cleary on LTIR is really the best outcome for everyone, but I doubt we'll see it happen for a bit yet. Wouldn't mind being surprised, though.

Chip39

Apr 19, 2013
I don't know if self respect is the right word. The guy is in the NHL making a large sum of money to play a game that we do for fun in weekday nights. We are fans talking on the internet and he is better at hockey than 99.9% of the population. If I was in his shoes my self respect would probably be focused on getting in the lineup than retiring.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

LOL If i erase all the money I have earned in life up until now.

I would not make as much as Cleary sitting around this year hoping he plays 10 games.

People talking about how a player should "take the high road" when MASSIVE amounts of money are on the table is just dumb. If i was him, i would be "Trying" to play. As soon as detroit and another club refuses to give me a contract... well then working in some level of management will pay higher than going to the AHL.

Its all about money.

Yes these guys are lucky to get paid to play a game. But when they make their decisions AFTER becoming NHL players, its usually about money. Some take slightly less pay so others can get more its true. But no one retires unless they are in too much pain to play anymore or no one wants them to play anymore.

If Cleary sits all season.. He will retire IF no other team offers him a contract or express interest in the player

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
LOL If i erase all the money I have earned in life up until now.

I would not make as much as Cleary sitting around this year hoping he plays 10 games.

People talking about how a player should "take the high road" when MASSIVE amounts of money are on the table is just dumb. If i was him, i would be "Trying" to play. As soon as detroit and another club refuses to give me a contract... well then working in some level of management will pay higher than going to the AHL.

Its all about money.

Yes these guys are lucky to get paid to play a game. But when they make their decisions AFTER becoming NHL players, its usually about money. Some take slightly less pay so others can get more its true. But no one retires unless they are in too much pain to play anymore or no one wants them to play anymore.

If Cleary sits all season.. He will retire IF no other team offers him a contract or express interest in the player

It's dumb to take the high road... Except several guys have done it with this organization.

Anyways I made this whole point before I knew (thanks to Henkka) that Cleary couldn't get paid AND retire. I thought he could.

So kind of changes the whole situation.... I'm over it, Dan Cleary can have fun playing Angry Birds in the press box and telling jokes in the locker room. Illitch is paying for it, not me.

Actual Thought*

It's dumb to take the high road... Except several guys have done it with this organization.

Anyways I made this whole point before I knew (thanks to Henkka) that Cleary couldn't get paid AND retire. I thought he could.

So kind of changes the whole situation.... I'm over it, Dan Cleary can have fun playing Angry Birds in the press box and telling jokes in the locker room. Illitch is paying for it, not me.
It's not like they are pay him a lot. They pay Weiss twice as much just to keep him company:laugh:

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
I see a lot of posts scrutinizing every decision looking for why Holland is wrong and very little consideration for why he could be right. It seems absurd to me to start from "Holland is wrong" and work back from there when based on his record he is right most of the time. It is an extremely poor form of analysis.

You realize that is what hfboards is for right? So fans can give there opinions.It's absurd to think Holland is right about signing Cleary. Based on his record he's right sometimes.
Cleary=wrong. Weiss=wrong. Shanahan=right. Hossa=right. Everything he does isn't wrong. But as of late, I think he has been wrong more than he has been right.IMO
Stop scrutinizing our scrutinizing!

Actual Thought*

You realize that is what hfboards is for right? So fans can give there opinions.It's absurd to think Holland is right about signing Cleary. Based on his record he's right sometimes.
Cleary=wrong. Weiss=wrong. Shanahan=right. Hossa=right. Everything he does isn't wrong. But as of late, I think he has been wrong more than he has been right.IMO
Stop scrutinizing our scrutinizing!

I am simply saying if you want to you can find negativity in every decision if that is all you look for. I can understand the cynicism with the lions but the Wings are in a rebuild under proven management. I am now starting to see the plan come together and I think things are looking pretty good. Most of the talk here seems to be based on last year or the year before and it starts with Holland is an idiot because... I think they are going to be much better this year. I do not think they are a bubble team any longer like so many here believe. It is just my opinion but I think Holland is a great GM and I look forward to another sustained run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad