Is Detroit the only team where "best player will play" is not standard procedure?

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Watched highlights of the games last night, a lot of "playing in his first game" "the new kid in town" "made the team out of camp" blabla... this never seems to be the case with the wings... "tie goes to veteran" seems to apply only here.

Last year it was Nyquist, this year Ouellet, that's just a examples...

They also seem to have Nestrasil up just because he would have to clear waivers to go down, you win assets, you could lose some, why is this such a big deal for detroit?

What other teams do this? I can't come up with any, if so, please give me clear cut player-scenarios on other teams

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Watched highlights of the games last night, a lot of "playing in his first game" "the new kid in town" "made the team out of camp" blabla... this never seems to be the case with the wings... "tie goes to veteran" seems to apply only here.

They also seem to have Nestrasil up just because he would have to clear waivers to go down, you win assets, you could lose some, why is this such a big deal for detroit?

What other teams do this? I can't come up with any, if so, please give me clear cut player-scenarios on other teams

Nestrasil has no effect on Ouellet being here or not. Name another forward that should be up that isn't because of Nestrasil (not cleary).

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I think Pens fans complained about this same problem before Bylsma was canned.

adams and glass playing, tangradi and bennett not playing and in the minors.. scuderi playing, despres in minors..

kings did this early on last season, until sutter gave more responsibility to toffoli and pearson.

coach Q with the hawks..

few others. no one does this to extent as red wings but it happens for sure, all the time.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Let it go. The season begins today. I'm sure players like XO, Jensen and Marchenko will get a shot at some point.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
You got that right Vladdy84. We can be loyal to our team, but not our GM!

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Happens everywhere. There's been outrage to some extent on a lot of teams boards during the past couple of days as cuts were made.

Stop thinking Ouellet is more than he is and you'll feel less upset about it. Also why are people trying to spin Nestrasil being on the team into something bad, or at least not giving Holland any credit there? This is a guy making his NHL debut today, based solely on outplaying others during camp.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Happens everywhere. There's been outrage to some extent on a lot of teams boards during the past couple of days as cuts were made.

Stop thinking Ouellet is more than he is and you'll feel less upset about it. Also why are people trying to spin Nestrasil being on the team into something bad, or at least not giving Holland any credit there? This is a guy making his NHL debut today, based solely on outplaying others during camp.

because we know that he could have played the exact same way(or hell,even better) and if he was still able to be sent down on waivers he would be back in Grand Rapids right now

it's tiresome

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Nestrasil has no effect on Ouellet being here or not. Name another forward that should be up that isn't because of Nestrasil (not cleary).

There's a roster limit. Whether you go 14/7 or 13/8. If you're using one of those "extra" spots on a forward, it's still taking a roster spot that could have gone to an extra defensemen.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
because we know that he could have played the exact same way(or hell,even better) and if he was still able to be sent down on waivers he would be back in Grand Rapids right now

it's tiresome
Do you know that in the same way that so many "knew" that Cleary would be in the top 9 on opening night?

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Do you know that in the same way that so many "knew" that Cleary would be in the top 9 on opening night?

We "knew" that Cleary would never be required to earn his place on the NHL roster, and that he would end up there regardless of how he played in the preseason. And that exact scenario has occurred: after a terrible preseason, he's taking up a roster spot that could otherwise be occupied by Ouellet. And he has that spot because he's Cleary. Not because he can play hockey, but because he receives blatant favoritism from both coach and GM.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus

Weiss. Well, not up, but in the lineup. Then again, I don't think it should necessarily be Nestrasil sitting, but Weiss should be playing.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI

I didn't mean it like that, my bad, I meant it more like, Nestrasil probably wouldn't be on the team could he be sent down without having to clear waivers, he's here because KH is afraid of losing assets even when they probably don't have a long-term future on the team (Nestrasil obviously COULD surprise us, sure, he was playing in ECHL not long ago) but I don't see him in the Sheahan, Jurco, Tatar, Nyquist group...

They just need to fill out the roster when Datsyuk is on IR, so they take the player who can't go down without having to clear waivers.. he's not here because the brass like him so much and he belongs here and has a future here.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
We "knew" that Cleary would never be required to earn his place on the NHL roster, and that he would end up there regardless of how he played in the preseason. And that exact scenario has occurred: after a terrible preseason, he's taking up a roster spot that could otherwise be occupied by Ouellet. And he has that spot because he's Cleary. Not because he can play hockey, but because he receives blatant favoritism from both coach and GM.

It used to be "Cleary will be in the top 9 and on the PP, guaranteed". People even said it would be acceptable if Cleary was the 13th/14th forward as long as he didn't steal Jurco's roster spot.

But now it's Ouellet's job that Cleary is stealing? Why not take it one step further, maybe without Cleary we could have 3 goalies on the roster? Mrazek is more NHL ready than any of our prospects on defense.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

Yeah I lurk other team's boards and there are about 29 other teams that are pissed at how their coach and GM handle the roster. And there are 29 other teams with mobs of fans rallying to get their coach and GM fired and tarred and feathered and burned at the stake.

Wings' fans are no different. Everything you read on the DRWs board is basically everything you read on other teams' boards. I think if HF members had their way, they'd just run a poll for what member should be coach AND GM for their respective team. And 10 times out of 10, they'll vote for themselves.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

I remember reading some posts around here this summer making fun of me for saying Cleary would be back on the roster at all

I don't think anyone was really seriously expecting Cleary to be in the top 9 on opening night,it was more of a half joking kind of thing and we wouldn't have been surprised if it happened

but when injuries hit and/or the team starts losing games just wait and see what happens

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It used to be "Cleary will be in the top 9 and on the PP, guaranteed". People even said it would be acceptable if Cleary was the 13th/14th forward as long as he didn't steal Jurco's roster spot.

But now it's Ouellet's job that Cleary is stealing? Why not take it one step further, maybe without Cleary we could have 3 goalies on the roster? Mrazek is more NHL ready than any of our prospects on defense.

Regarding Nestasil, that's a good point.

He's 23, 6'3 and 200 lbs with some skill, and has sky-high confidence right now. We should be happy he's here, even if the majority of us (myself included) had given up on him. I mean a lot of people had Sheahan written off before last year too.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I mean anytime you have a mediocre veteran in the lineup and a prospect on their AHL team who might be better than the veteran if given the chance but hasn't proven himself yet.

You're not going to hear about all those cases unless you watch every city's local media, but I'm sure they happen.

Keep in mind that to this day, while a strong case can be made, Oullet has still not PROVEN that he is definitively better than Kindl at an NHL level.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Keep in mind that to this day, while a strong case can be made, Oullet has still not PROVEN that he is definitively better than Kindl at an NHL level.

That's exactly right. They could be at best the same in regards to team impact, but KH decided that asset management is best for the long-term of the team while XO can play top pairing minutes down in GR and hone his skills. It worked for Nyquist.

If Holland trades Kindl for a pick, I'll consider that a win. If the team makes the playoffs or not is not decided by Kindl vs XO, and if people really believe that, then they should focus their attention on other issues, because team has WAY bigger issues than a bottom paring rookie defenseman.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
That's exactly right. They could be at best the same in regards to team impact, but KH decided that asset management is best for the long-term of the team while XO can play top pairing minutes down in GR and hone his skills. It worked for Nyquist.

If Holland trades Kindl for a pick, I'll consider that a win. If the team makes the playoffs or not is not decided by Kindl vs XO, and if people really believe that, then they should focus their attention on other issues, because team has WAY bigger issues than a bottom paring rookie defenseman.

Kindl is barely an "asset" at this point. If he can't even fetch a draft pick and his numbers are terrible, what is the benefit to keeping him around?

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010

Right, this nonsense again. Nyquist was sent down because he was immune to waivers. That was the single reason, and Holland was clear about that.

Also, laughs @ asset management. It would be a win for this team to get rid of Kindl's contract, no matter the return. So you're wrong there also.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
But now it's Ouellet's job that Cleary is stealing?

Yep, pretty much. But for his idiotically guaranteed spot on the roster, the team could carry eight defensemen, and that would be the end of it.

Why not take it one step further, maybe without Cleary we could have 3 goalies on the roster? Mrazek is more NHL ready than any of our prospects on defense.

So sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Right, this nonsense again. Nyquist was sent down because he was immune to waivers. That was the single reason, and Holland was clear about that.

Also, laughs @ asset management. It would be a win for this team to get rid of Kindl's contract, no matter the return. So you're wrong there also.
Yep, pretty much. But for his idiotically guaranteed spot on the roster, the team could carry eight defensemen, and that would be the end of it.

So sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense.
We'd never get rid of Kindl's contract if we carry 8 d-men and have Kindl sitting in the pressbox all year. Waiving him isn't a solution. The difference between Kindl and Ouellet RIGHT NOW is miniscule. As the #6 neither of them decide the fate of this team, but if Kindl is playing it could open a door for us to trade him.

Cleary has NOTHING to do with XO being sent down. Nothing. If Cleary wasn't on the team it would be much more likely that one of Callahan or Ferraro got to stay with the team until Datsyuk returned than XO staying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad