Is Derek Stepan the number 1 priority this summer?

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
I see a deal similar to Dubinsky and man,I'm just giving an accurate idea,relax lol. I'm just figuritivly speaking,should be around that ball park. Better?:shakehead

Why are you telling him to relax lol?... I think you need to chill. All he did was propose a completely logical question to your statement... because what you said makes no sense. 2-3 years at ~4mil... then why would he take 5-6 years at the same price?

Mr Atoz*

#1 priority this summer is buying out Brad Richards and that's from an organizational point of view and not a performance point of view. Since the old "cap-circumventing" contracts that preceded the new CBA aren't grandfathered, Brad's contract is a HUGE, HUGE risk in terms of injury and/or retirement that could hamper this entire organization for years. I'd love to see Brad rebound next year and have a great year, but the risks aren't worth it. The Players really blew it on this part of the CBA and guys like Richards, Kovalchuk, Hossa, etc... would all be prime candidates for clubs looking at the long term implications of not buying them out. Simply something the Rangers have to do, as ****** as it is.

Buying out Richards is not a priority in the sense that he doesn't have to agree to it. You either do it or you don't. Your priority is to make the effort to get the players you want signed. If the decision has already been made to buy Richards out it's as good as done.

Sad London Ranger

RIP Boogie
Mar 4, 2002
london england
Visit site
i think it is priority for us to groom the next Lundqvist. it will take us years to find and prepare the same quality keeper. remember how quickly we lost Richter.
we have nothing really in the pipeline

McD is key. Staal maybe too damaged to become the D man he was. McD will command more than the
4 million some of you suggest.

Stepan should be a keeper at 3

But All starts with Richards and a new GM.

Stepanformayor*

They have to buyout Richards or they don't get Stepan, Mac, Hags, Zucc, and Clowe signed. The math does not add up, Mac gets 4.5, Step gets 4, Hags gets 2.5 , Zucc gets 2 And Clowe gets 3. Someone has to go!!

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Buying out Richards isn't the only option to squeeze all of those contracts in, is his point I think.

I think you're also likely to be wrong on some of the numbers.

Those guys aren't "getting" that, you just think they are. Thus, he's asking for a link to where you're getting your info. ;)

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't know about McD and Stepan breaking the $4m plane. And I think Hagelin's second contract will probably look more like Anismov, Callahan and Dubinsky's, so it will be less than you're estimate as well.

Stepanformayor*

They will both get offer sheets and then we are really screwed! If ROR got one lets not let it get that far!! Mac may get more than 4.5?? We only have 12 million to get those 5 guys. It's not enough, no way!!

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
ROR got one after how many weeks of holding out? No one is offer sheeting anyone on the Rangers.

And I didn't say that we would be able to sign Clowe in addition to the 4 RFAs with the space we have. I just said buying out Richards isn't the only way to create enough space to do it.

I'm estimating it will probably take about $14.5-$16m to sign those 5. That means $1m-2.5m needs to be cleared. Trade Asham and/or Pyatt and you're done.

Stepanformayor*

You still have to fill those roster spots with someone. Asham makes 1 million per year and Pyatt makes 1.5 a year. Whoever they trade for Asham will make 1 million a year.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
You still have to fill those roster spots with someone. Asham makes 1 million per year and Pyatt makes 1.5 a year. Whoever they trade for Asham will make 1 million a year.

You're replacing those guys with cheaper options within the organization and trading them for low picks/minor leaguers.

Stepanformayor*

The two players they bring up are MIller at 1.3 million and THomas at 900,000! You gain nothing! Hey don't have the dough!!

Stepanformayor*

If you look at it carefully its really a mess! The fact that the cap is going down really hurts all the teams that were over the 64 million number! They will 100% also sign Hank to a long term deal in the next 90 days. IMO it's a for gone conclusion that Richards is gone.

Punxrocknyc19*

once Stepan gets signed watch an A be attached to his jersey once Richards is bought out.. he deserves it but since its Rangers hockey Nash will end up with it although he doesnt deserve it at all.. Stepan deserves the A more than most of the other younger players on NYR at this time...

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
once Stepan gets signed watch an A be attached to his jersey once Richards is bought out.. he deserves it but since its Rangers hockey Nash will end up with it although he doesnt deserve it at all.. Stepan deserves the A more than most of the other younger players on NYR at this time...

Is this based on stuff that has come out of the dressing room? Why is Nash (or anyone else) undeserving?

Punxrocknyc19*

Is this based on stuff that has come out of the dressing room? Why is Nash (or anyone else) undeserving?

Stepan has been here for more than a year.. why give the A to a superstar especially since he has not been here a long time.. let the players earn it.. Stepan has grown with his on ice leadership on this team... i wouldnt be shocked if he is captain someday... he reminds me of LaFontaine in that regard... not much of a talker but lets his on ice play do the talking..

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
It all may change with Torts gone. I figured if Richards was bought out Torts would've gave Girardi the 2nd A. Stepan will get a letter eventually. Kid is such a friendly, positive, leader type person

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
I'd just give it to the most deserving, regardless of what that is, but I'm not in the locker room so its hard to tell.

I'm not saying Stepan doesn't deserve it, was just wondering if there's any reason why noone else should be considered

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad