Is Derek Stepan the number 1 priority this summer?

JayQueensNY88*

I'd give him 5-6 years at 4 mill per.

What Sather will do is give 2-3 years at 4.0-4.5

When he should be given 5-6 years at 4 per

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
I'd give him 5-6 years at 4 mill per.

What Sather will do is give 2-3 years at 4.0-4.5

When he should be given 5-6 years at 4 per

if sather is giving him 2-3 years at 4-4.5 then why is stepan accepting an additional 3 years with no bump in salary for UFA years???

JayQueensNY88*

if sather is giving him 2-3 years at 4-4.5 then why is stepan accepting an additional 3 years with no bump in salary for UFA years???

I see a deal similar to Dubinsky and man,I'm just giving an accurate idea,relax lol. I'm just figuritivly speaking,should be around that ball park. Better?:shakehead

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
He's coming of an ELC. If he's giving a 2-3 year deal it will be for MUCH less than 4mil. No arb rights. If he gets 4 mil it will be for a 5-6 year deal.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
#1 priority this summer is buying out Brad Richards and that's from an organizational point of view and not a performance point of view. Since the old "cap-circumventing" contracts that preceded the new CBA aren't grandfathered, Brad's contract is a HUGE, HUGE risk in terms of injury and/or retirement that could hamper this entire organization for years. I'd love to see Brad rebound next year and have a great year, but the risks aren't worth it. The Players really blew it on this part of the CBA and guys like Richards, Kovalchuk, Hossa, etc... would all be prime candidates for clubs looking at the long term implications of not buying them out. Simply something the Rangers have to do, as ****** as it is.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
My #2, FWIW, would be getting Lundqvist back on board after buying out Richards.

Hank is already signed for this season, so I'm not sure how he can be the #1 priority when we're already paying him for the next year. That said, if we can extend him now I'm all for it!

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Hank is already signed for this season, so I'm not sure how he can be the #1 priority when we're already paying him for the next year. That said, if we can extend him now I'm all for it!

If that doesn't get done this summer he goes to UFA. Furthermore, if he's not signed long term and the Rangers, let's say, are 10th in the conference at the trade deadline next year, then Sather & Co. have a huge decision to make: whether or not to trade him and they more than likely will rather than risking losing him for nothing. It needs to get done this summer. Period.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
If that doesn't get done this summer he goes to UFA. Furthermore, if he's not signed long term and the Rangers, let's say, are 10th in the conference at the trade deadline next year, then Sather & Co. have a huge decision to make: whether or not to trade him and they more than likely will rather than risking losing him for nothing. It needs to get done this summer. Period.

You mean if it doesn't get done by NEXT July 1 he goes to UFA.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
You mean if it doesn't get done by NEXT July 1 he goes to UFA.

No, THIS summer. He is not going to negotiate during the season and, like I said, if the Rangers are in a precarious position during next year's trade deadline then Hank will be a serious commodity that they are going to have to look at dealing, and will, rather than losing him for nothing.

If he goes to UFA next summer, he won't be a Ranger.

RangerFan10

Even if the Rangers are awful, do you really think Hank will want to leave? He LOVES the city. If he really becomes disgruntled he's the type of player the Rangers will bend over backwards for. Whether that means a new coach, money or what have you.

Even if he wanted out, I think his lifestyle comes into play as far as where he'd want to play. You can rule out a lot of bigger cities based on the fact that they've already got goalies locked in (L.A., Boston, Montreal, Vancouver). I guess there's Toronto. I don't think Chicago would spend the money on Hank when they've got great goaltending at a bargain price from Crawford and Emery. The Devils and Islanders would both allow him to stay in the city but it's still not exactly the same situation. Where else would he really even consider?

RangerFan10

I'm also not that concerned about Stepan. I think he's always liked it here. It's McDonagh that makes me a little nervous. They had a bit of a hard time getting him to sign his ELC. He's established himself as an elite shut down defenseman in this league. He moves the puck well and I'm sure most coaches realize he's capable of contributing on the powerplay. I'm not convinced McDonagh is in love with playing in NY. He may look to bail. The Rangers may look at their depth at left defenseman and let it happen. Not this summer obviously, but I don't know that they'll dip into any of his UFA years.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Even if the Rangers are awful, do you really think Hank will want to leave? He LOVES the city. If he really becomes disgruntled he's the type of player the Rangers will bend over backwards for. Whether that means a new coach, money or what have you.

Even if he wanted out, I think his lifestyle comes into play as far as where he'd want to play. You can rule out a lot of bigger cities based on the fact that they've already got goalies locked in (L.A., Boston, Montreal, Vancouver). I guess there's Toronto. I don't think Chicago would spend the money on Hank when they've got great goaltending at a bargain price from Crawford and Emery. The Devils and Islanders would both allow him to stay in the city but it's still not exactly the same situation. Where else would he really even consider?

If Hank came out and said he was interested in joining the Blackhawks, then they would go all out to try to get him. Crawford and Emery couldn't hold Hank's jockstrap.

RangerFan10

If Hank came out and said he was interested in joining the Blackhawks, then they would go all out to try to get him. Crawford and Emery couldn't hold Hank's jockstrap.
Do you honestly think anyone believes Crawford or Emery could? The fact of the matter is the Hawks won the cup in '10 with Niemi and they're a game away from the conference finals with Crawford while Hank sits at home. Just because Hank wants to play in Chicago doesn't mean it's feasible for Chicago to go get Hank.

You find the cap space for Towes, Kane, Hossa, Sharp, Keith, Seabrook and then the second tier guys like Bolland, Hjalmarsson, Stalberg, Saad AND Hank and I'm thinking you should be their cap guy instead of whoever they've got now.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Good luck finding room. And I doubt they'll be buying out Hossa.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
No, THIS summer. He is not going to negotiate during the season and, like I said, if the Rangers are in a precarious position during next year's trade deadline then Hank will be a serious commodity that they are going to have to look at dealing, and will, rather than losing him for nothing.

If he goes to UFA next summer, he won't be a Ranger.

When did he tell you that?

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009
Ranking is way overdone in sports talk. Step has to be taken care of. So do some other things, like McD. Ranking them is to talk about nothing

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Ranking is way overdone in sports talk. Step has to be taken care of. So do some other things, like McD. Ranking them is to talk about nothing

Pretty much. They're all things you have to take care of and they're all very important ie. Stepan, McD etc. no need to rank.

But if anything, I say getting Step on board is a big priority.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Not priority one, but he's a big piece.

I was never convinced he was a #1 center, but this season, he played at the level of a legitimate #1 center. On pace for 30 goals / 75 points while playing stellar defense.

My feeling is, however, he is more along the lines of a solid 2nd line center than a 1st line center. I think he overachieved this season, and I question his ability to sustain that in the future.

Just as a question Brassard's ability to be a PT/GM player. I think Brassard is more along the lines of a 2nd line center / 3rd line center on a deep team.

McDonagh is the more valuable piece. I view McDonagh as a legitimate first pairing defense man and someone you can build your defensive core around. I think McDonagh could be a great all around defense man capable of putting up 50 points if Tortorella didn't use him in strictly a shut down role. They need to expand his arsenal in NY for him to reach his true potential. And because I think that of McDonagh, I'd make him the #1 priority in the off season.

Stepan and McDonagh are the top priorities. Both are a RFA, so Sather has the leverage in this example (unless they get an offer sheet, which I can definitely see happening on McDonagh).

$3.75 million / year for McDonagh (would put him in line with Girardi and Staal's salary) and $3.5-$4 million / year for Stepan (would put him in line with the raise that Dubinsky and Callahan got). Sign McDonagh to $4+ million a year if you can acquire him long term.

Than sign Hagelin at $2.5 million / year.

Let Clowe walk. He won't be worth the $4-5 million it will take to sign him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad