Is Derek Stepan the number 1 priority this summer?

RangerFan10

You're replacing those guys with cheaper options within the organization and trading them for low picks/minor leaguers.
I'm all about ditching Pyatt and Asham but I still don't know that it'll work financially. A Richards buyout admittedly makes us weak down the middle unless J.T. Miller can stick as the third line center.

LW - Hagelin, Nash, Kreider, ?
C - Richards, Brassard, Stepan, Boyle
RW - Callahan, Dorsett, Zuccarello, Powe

IMO there are two above average scoring lines and a bottom six that can grind and score somewhere with those guys as your tools. I just worry that going in with those guys leaves us with little depth when someone gets hurt. It'd be nice to have Miller a call-up away.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I'm all about ditching Pyatt and Asham but I still don't know that it'll work financially

Really pretty simple.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Ryane Clowe ($3.500m) / Brad Richards ($6.667m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Carl Hagelin ($1.900m) / Derek Stepan ($3.500m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.275m)
Chris Kreider ($1.325m) / Derick Brassard ($3.200m) / Mats Zuccarello ($2.000m)
Micheal Haley ($0.600m) / Brian Boyle ($1.700m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
Darroll Powe ($1.067m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.000m) / Dan Girardi ($3.325m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Michael Del Zotto ($2.550m)
John Moore ($0.965m) / Anton Stralman ($1.700m)
Dylan McIlrath ($1.295m)
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m)
Martin Biron ($1.300m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,151,667; BONUSES: $1,650,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $798,333

Stepanformayor*

I think that's close Tawnos but I think Mac will demand a little more, Hags will get over 2 million, and Step will be closer to 4 million. That will be cutting it awfully close! Like I said earlier is either Mac or Step get offer sheets we are screwed.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
I think that's close Tawnos but I think Mac will demand a little more, Hags will get over 2 million, and Step will be closer to 4 million. That will be cutting it awfully close! Like I said earlier is either Mac or Step get offer sheets we are screwed.

I don't think either of them will sign an offer sheet, tbh. They're great friends and want to stay here.

I also only see one of them getting a long term deal, which means only one of them will be near 4 mil. If it's McD, he'll make around what Subban is now for his 2 year deal - 2.8ish. He's the one I see getting the long deal, though.

Stepan I think gets the 2 year. He had a fairly poor playoffs (again) and I think that'll be used against him in negotiations.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
McDonagh also has more leverage because he's arbitration eligible. Otherwise, I saw him sitting at $3.5m.

iamitter is right though. There isn't much of a threat of offer sheets here.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
I think it'd be smart to frankly lock up both long term, but I'm not sure we have the resources to do it.

If there's one thing I love Torts for, it was not using McDonagh on the power play. If he got those extra ten points, we'd be looking at a 45 point top pairing defenseman who's superb defensively. In other words, a 6+ mil contract. Instead, we can get him for hopefully 4-4.5 long term and then watch him blossom and have his contract be like Letang's. If he stays stagnant, whatever, it's still market price.

Stepan, if he improves on faceoffs, could very well be an excellent two-way 60-70 point center. If he becomes our Bergeron, we'd look foolish two years from now instead of, again, retaining him long term at ~4ish.

Stepanformayor*

You think Mac is only getting 2.8 a year? You then must think Step is getting less than that? There is no way that those numbers are even close. Mac would get a offer sheet the first day eligible and Step would be right behind him. Your telling me that no one would offer Stepan with the season he had and no one would offer one of the best shut down D-man in the NHL a offer sheet. By the way Step lead the team in goals in the playoffs in that system.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
You think Mac is only getting 2.8 a year? You then must think Step is getting less than that? There is no way that those numbers are even close. Mac would get a offer sheet the first day eligible and Step would be right behind him. Your telling me that no one would offer Stepan with the season he had and no one would offer one of the best shut down D-man in the NHL a offer sheet. By the way Step lead the team in goals in the playoffs in that system.

I think that's around where he would get for a 2 year contract, yeah. It's what PK Subban just got for his bridge. Besides, McDonagh is arbitration eligible. He's not going to be eligible to sign an offer sheet if they opt for arbitration (which they will).

And yeah, Stepan has shown those numbers in a half season and then put up rather low numbers in the playoffs. I think it'd be smart to tie him to a 5 year deal for ~4.2, but chances are the organization will go for around the 2.6-2.7 mil route for 2 years because I think they're going to give Richards one more shot.

If they buy him out, I think Stepan and McDonagh will both get 5 year deals.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

I don't think anyone on the Rangers is ever getting an offer sheet with Sather as GM. Just a feeling I get.

McDonagh isn't a better player than Subban, so I don't know if the comparison, contract-wise, is that unfair... except that McD is arb eligible.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

McD will get more than 2.8 because he's arbitration eligible. Whether he signs a 1 year or 4 year deal, he's getting more than 2.8 per year.

Stepan, on the other hand, is not arbitration eligible. He will get less than McD in almost any scenario. I think it's a foregone conclusion that Richards will get bought out, so Sather might decide to use some of that money to lock up Stepan long term. If he does, Stepan will get closer to 4 mil per year. But Sather may choose to only give Stepan a 2 year deal, in which case Stepan will get less than 3 mil per year. 2.8 is probably about right.

Stepan led the team in goals, but that isn't saying much, especially when he only had 1 assist in 12 games. That isn't remotely good enough for our "#1" center.

No matter how much you think Stepan is worth, it's irrelevant because Sather isn't obligated to give him that much. Sather is only bidding against himself. Stepan has zero leverage. Offer sheet? Not gonna happen. Look at recent history and the players who have gotten offer sheets. ROR held out and it was several weeks into the season before he signed an offer sheet. And that offer sheet wouldn't have happened if calgary, colorado or ROR's agent had known that ROR would have to clear waivers.

Weber? A case of a big money team trying to take advantage of a smaller market. Hjalmarrson? He got an offer sheet because SJ was trying to take advantage of chicago's cap situation. We don't have a cap problem. Penner? Vanek? That really worked out well for edmonton.

The bottom line is that we will have no problem matching almost any offer, because Richards will likely be bought out. Other teams know that and will know that giving either player an offer sheet is a waste of time. Furthermore, they know that offer-sheeting a Ranger player is asking for trouble.

I've explained all this to you more than once, but you don't seem to get it. Stop being such a fanboy for a minute and try to look at the situation objectively. Look at Sather's history in giving out contracts to non-arbitration eligible RFAs. Staal is the only one who got a long term deal.

Stepanformayor*

Gagline, you don't get it!! I will bet you everything you own that Stepan won't sign for 2.5 to 2.8 a year! He lead this team in almost every category this year, and was amongst the NHL leaders in a lot of those same categories. I keep telling you it won't happen. Quit being such a no it all!! You talk like Sather is the Godfather and no one will cross him. Most of the new GM's could care less about Glen Sather!! There are so many teams that would love to shove it up the Rangers butt and they will.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Gagline, you don't get it!! I will bet you everything you own that Stepan won't sign for 2.5 to 2.8 a year! He lead this team in almost every category this year, and was amongst the NHL leaders in a lot of those same categories. I keep telling you it won't happen. Quit being such a no it all!! You talk like Sather is the Godfather and no one will cross him. Most of the new GM's could care less about Glen Sather!! There are so many teams that would love to shove it up the Rangers butt and they will.

:laugh: Gagline is one of the few people on this board who has a real understanding of the business aspect of the NHL.

Jan 8, 2012
NY

What's with all the exclamation points and a complete misunderstanding of NHL contracts?

You must be related to Stepan. Every single of your posts is about Derek Stepan. We get it. He's really good. But he's getting Duchene 2nd contract money, not Eberle money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad